3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

compound turbo design questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by commtrd
I thought about having that done. If so, would have to drill and tap bolt holes to attach the intake right? Prolly a stupid question but heck I embarrass myself semi regularly anyways... ;0)
You would have to send it to someone to shave the plenum off and then have them port and polish it, do a valve job, etc. Would also need to buy the aftermarket side draft intake to bolt on, they run in the $1350 range. So, it would be expensive. Would it be worth it? I am not sure. In the gas world a good set of ported heads is awesome.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I don't go on compD much any more simply because there is so much bickering and it gets personal with the flame wars and it clouds what otherwise could be useful information. I don't have much use for an immature poster arguing about things he obviously knows little about.

So I perfer to be here with good friends!
Amen to this. I don't really care for Cumminsforum either. DTR is the place I like to be.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen414
Also, guys, remember, boost is NOTHING but a RESTRICTION in the intake tract. It may have been mentioned somewhere along these 4 pages, but I missed it, so I wanted to make sure it was talked about.

VOLUME of air is what you REALLY want. Boost is inevitable, when dealing with forced induction of course, but the smaller the intake path, the more restriction you have, and the more "boost" you have (which is also hotter air I might add).

Just food for thought...improve airflow (and SOMEONE MAKE A CYLINDER HEAD FOR OUR CR!!!!!)

Yes, addressed in posts 6,7,11,13...

Our heads are restrictive, but one has to remember that cummins was not engineering the head for the purposes we have in mind for it.

I wish someone was making a head for us. Obviously, it is either too difficult or to expensive to do so. Or simply not enough interest. Go price a ZZ prepared head. They are not cheap.

Good port jobs can net some good gains. But one has to be extremely careful as the most restrictive areas in the head are also where the coolant jackets are closest to the airways. So not a lot of metal can be removed.

Extrude hone is one method of porting, but results from it are mixed and one has to weigh the cost/benefit for the average user.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supper good read, thanks for the info. A lot to think about.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 AM

Well here they are. Hopefully finished installing today. Plus the new exhaust and other maintenance items.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Awesome setup. Work of art.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lookin good!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Installed! Need to finish getting the exhaust installed and I need to get a wire extension for type K thermocouple so the EGT gauge will work. Lots of work!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Looking good!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM

Thanks! Just blipping the throttle a little after giving the turbos a little idle time hearing some trademark Garrett whistle starting around 1250or so. Should be an awesome setup for DD and towing. Pat's workmanship rocks! Precision in fitting and execution exemplary. Talk about dressing up the engine bay...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Looks nice. Maybe one day for me.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Any updates? How do you like them?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Does your oil filter have a finned cooler on it?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 AM

The turbos are awesome. The sound changed completely from the single Garrett. It had a loud (really loud) howl that I grew addicted to. These sound like a muted jet. I lost around 100* on EGT driving on highway at 75 mph. Seems like they spool just a tad later than the single did. Still wondering if I should have used a 3582 for the secondary, but then the turbine on the 3782 is great for lowest back pressure and that to me is more important than spool right off the bottom. Now starts in just under 1300 rpm and when I get on it will bury the gauge almost instantly. And sounds just beautiful but definitely not like the single. The 5" exhaust is straight piped except for a 17" resonator I put in thinking there would be too much drone in the cab but there was no need for it at all. The exhaust is dead quiet on the road at cruise. In fact I really only hear it at very low speeds and then it is not loud and obnoxious. Pat told me that the bottom turbo IS the muffler and resonator effectively and his shop trucks with twins are straight piped and are quieter than stock with no muffler. I can attest to that being correct. I would not put the resonator in if I had known that. How the truck drives/runs: I am ecstatic. It runs so smooth and clean (lot less smoke on heavy acceleration) and really seems like a jet turbine the way it is running now. Running cooler and smoother just a real treat to drive the tuck... Of course there is all the other stuff done to the truck to make it reliable and run smoother like all the front end work, 5" aluminum driveshaft with huge Spicers, etc. All done not for hot rodding but to make it reliable and run the best possible. I do need to add some more fuel filtration though. The oil filter I had tried was the lifetime filter and it is built very well but in practice it is a total pain to take the thing apart and clean it which makes a big mess so went back to a regular filter. Finally fuel mileage: WOW! Now if I drive 65 (hard to do) but if I do will get low 20s no kidding. This with an auto trans and 245-75 r17 tires (Michelin LTX MS2) which was one of the best things I have EVER done for the truck. Call 'em pizza cutters whatever I love these tires. My truck runs, drives, brakes, and gets beautiful mileage with these tires and with the twins it is driving like a brand new truck while getting excellent mileage. AND the truck is paid for AND no emissions junk on it. Before someone asks about re-calibrating the speedo they are the exact same diameter as the stock tires so not necessary.

So to sum up how the turbos work: Awesome. Overall the truck is just running beautiful. I love the jet sound but it is not real loud, can always hear them cruising like when going overpass on cruise they will ramp up and it is just a jet I just get a kick out of that. Who needs a radio? That is one happy cummins under the hood. Plus every time I open the hood I get to look at those turbos so there's the visual thing too... :0) All V-banded and unbelievable fit and finish. Pure quality. That's what I wanted and everything done to the truck has been top-notch stuff so I wanted the turbos that way too. Really happy with the turbos and how they help the truck work. Have not towed with them yet but no doubt it will be great, expecting to see much better EGTs.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 PM

Yeap, this is the way I need to go. LOL I should have saved my money that I put in my current turbo. Maybe next year. Wife wants to retire, so I have been paying off stuff as fast as I can go. She dang sure changed my plans for the truck.