3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Comparing the Ramifier and the Xzillaraider

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing the Ramifier and the Xzillaraider

I thought I would post my experiences comparing the Ramifier and the Xzillaraider as I have recently had the chance to compare both on my truck.

I recently bought a new Ramifier on Ebay (non adjustable type) for my truck at a good price. After replacing the first module (Dennis at TS Performance was great to work with) I installed the module on the truck.

The installation is really simple due to the fact that there are no cables to pass through the firewall (non adjustable). Once you know what you are doing it takes less than 5 minutes. On start up the truck pretty much sounds the same. Blip the throttle and you notice a real difference.

When I took the truck out there was a world of difference between the old SO slug and the new SO racecar. One noticable difference is the sensitivity of the accelerator. The slightest touch gives immediate power. One drawback to this new found power is the fact that the cruise control didn't work to well due to the sensitivity of the throttle.

As a fairly conservative Dodge owner who wants to have a little fun, I don't tow, this module made me a little nervous about the longevity of the transmission. I would take it fairly easy ontil the transmission locked up in OD.

Now the the Xzillaraider. Based on all the great reviews on this website I changed out the Xzillaraider for the Ramifier and last night had the time to install it.

The only real difference in installation is passing the cable through the firewall. One extra plug under the hood. I used the rubber grommet which has one cable passing through it (I am not sure what it is, looks like a speedo cable to me). I cut a small slit in the grommet and stretched it to get the plug through. Once the cable is though, the grommet sealed well around the cable. The advantage of using this grommet is that you can pull it into the cab while passing the cable through it.

I pulled the panel below the steering wheel off and stuck the electronics module using velcro to part of the steel frame on the left hand side. I found a great place for the adjustable **** as long as you don't mind it being hidden (I wanted this). the hood lever is attached to a metal support, just to the right of the release there is already a hole drilled in the metal bar. I think it was predrilled for the Xzillaraider ****. I reinstalled the panel and no one would ever know.

I started the truck, no codes, all the same at idle on the zero setting. I went through the different settings and didn't really notice any change in engine tone. I blipped the accelerator at each setting and didn't really notice any difference except at the 100 hp setting.

I then drove the truck on the road. Obviously at the zero setting no difference. At the 30 hp setting I am not sure that I could tell a difference. I changed to the 60 hp setting and there was a definite difference in throttle response. I changed to the 100 hp setting and again another step change in throttle response.

A straight up comparison between the Ramifier and the Xzillaraider at the 100 hp setting without a dyno, just seat of the pants, would make me think that the Ramifier definitely puts out more additional hp.

At the end of the day I think I am probably happier thinking that my stock transmission will probably survive but the Ramifier sure was fun. I guess a middle ground would be the adjustable Ramifier but I have had enough of trading out parts for a while.

I hope this helps someone make up their mind, I know I couldn't.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Dont' confuse peak power output with low RPM throttle response. Ramifier is known for its low end grunt. Quad is known for its smooth-as-butter drivability. Both meet their advertized peak HP claims.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:14 PM

I believe they both meet the advertised claims and you are right the Quad product is a lot more driveable. I like them both for different reasons.