3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Common Rail micrograph damage pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Common Rail micrograph damage pics

Filtration is paramount. As well as low rail pressure for daily driving. Both of those factors caused this damage. Seat erosion. Additives would do nothing to help this. Filtration and low pressure is the key for long injector life.

For a size reference, the damage you see is in an area smaller than a pin head.

Photo 1 is 10 power. Photo 2 is 30 power.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hp?photo=37635

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hp?photo=37634
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Good info, thanks Don
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of mileage does this injector have? I'm skeert, I have 23k on my truck running stock fuel filters. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to get an Air Dog...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am by no means an injector guy so they don't look too bad to me. How about a picture of a new one for comparison?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Would a modded cp3 be a great investment to insure stable pressure at the rail? and if so from who? my mods are small(smarty,ad100,exhaust,airraid)but i'm on 2nd set of injectors from dealer next time i pay, so I'll be taking to ya!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don, is the the damage you refer to when you say an injector is "leaky"?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Don are those Jasons injectors? I heard they were like the worst ever!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yikes, looks like the new AirDog 100 was good investment. What kind of filtration was this person using? Stock, Baldwin PF7977? And as everyone else, how many miles on them leaky suckers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

those pic's are of the ball seat under the selinoid.

whats cool is looking inside nozels...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

how about pounding the seats out of nozels?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Good pics - what is your break for low daily rail pressure (oem stock?) vs racing pressure - was increased inlet pressure from lift pump in any way causative?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Hello,

We need better materials at these high wear areas. What ever the metal, it is not sufficient for the pressures these things run.

Damon
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 AM
DTR Advertiser

Cory, Negative, these are a local guy who shall remain anonymous. LOL

Soul, Yes, this is one of the conditions that cause internal leaks.

A couple of things: The 03-04 engines have a lower overall pressure curve. In most highway and mixed driving conditions they are under 16,000 PSI. The 04.5 and up is always higher. 20K is common, even cruising.

The micron sized particles chew away the material of the seat as it is carried along in the fuel. Just like a water jet, it cuts through the material.

The high pressure fuel is leaking over the seat at all times when the engine is running. Even when the seat's companion check ball is sealed down tight, there is still some leak volume going by. The higher the pressure in the system, the more leaks by and the more abrasive fuel contamination is carried along to slowly grind away and cause this damage. Consider this a "wear item" like brakes or tires. To lower the wear rates; you must run a good filter system to clean the fuel the best you can of all micron sized particles and run the lowest possible rail pressure you can.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Don, I don't know if you can answer this question, but do you, as an injector guru, have anyone that you recommend as far as filtration?

That's ok, cause when I get back from Japan in July, I'll probably be sending you these 2.5's for some 4's... !
Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
Cory, Negative, these are a local guy who shall remain anonymous. LOL

Soul, Yes, this is one of the conditions that cause internal leaks.

A couple of things: The 03-04 engines have a lower overall pressure curve. In most highway and mixed driving conditions they are under 16,000 PSI. The 04.5 and up is always higher. 20K is common, even cruising.

The micron sized particles chew away the material of the seat as it is carried along in the fuel. Just like a water jet, it cuts through the material.

The high pressure fuel is leaking over the seat at all times when the engine is running. Even when the seat's companion check ball is sealed down tight, there is still some leak volume going by. The higher the pressure in the system, the more leaks by and the more abrasive fuel contamination is carried along to slowly grind away and cause this damage. Consider this a "wear item" like brakes or tires. To lower the wear rates; you must run a good filter system to clean the fuel the best you can of all micron sized particles and run the lowest possible rail pressure you can.
Don,

Last year I had my 3.3's leak fuel into crankcase. They were less than 1 year old - you fixed them with a spare set I had and updated to 4's. You say these are 'wear' type items- so do you reccomend that I send my injectors to you every year to get serviced? I am always so scared I am going to get fuel in cranckcase again. Its something that I hope never happens again.

BTW - I never did get my box of parts back

Quick Reply: Common Rail micrograph damage pics