3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Common Rail EDM Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:01 PM
DPU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AK RAM,

Ya, my injectors rattle sometimes at cruising speeds-on the freeway. My 100HP injectors did not have any rattle, but I wanted more power so I opted for bigger injectors, and now I have to deal it.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Larger injectors can rattle a little more than a stock set because they inject more fuel not only on the second event or main event, but on the pilot event as well. The first pilot shot is to slightly warm and condition the cylinder for the main event with slow and controlled pressure event. If you hone or EDM injectors for more fuel...you are increaseing the amount of fuel that can be injected in the pilot event too. The extra fuel causes higher pilot event pressure and slightly more rattle.

The 03 and 04 trucks have less rattle than the 04.5's.

Don~
Old 09-23-2004, 10:40 AM

Don M,

Is there a negative side effect to the "rattle" from a larger than normal pilot squirt?

Loss of MPG, heat, longevity?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:41 AM

EDM injectors for 600

Originally posted by Don M
Larger injectors can rattle a little more than a stock set because they inject more fuel not only on the second event or main event, but on the pilot event as well. The first pilot shot is to slightly warm and condition the cylinder for the main event with slow and controlled pressure event. If you hone or EDM injectors for more fuel...you are increaseing the amount of fuel that can be injected in the pilot event too. The extra fuel causes higher pilot event pressure and slightly more rattle.

The 03 and 04 trucks have less rattle than the 04.5's.

Don~
Don,

Would this rattle be minimized or eliminated if for the 600 I would run say 30hp or 45hp injectors? Or, how high (hp) could I go to eliminate that rattle? Also if I were to run the lower HP injectors then I would likewise be minimizing the extra heat affect to EGTs. Correct?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:15 PM

I want the rattle! Guess I miss my 99.

Matt
Old 09-24-2004, 06:54 AM

600 injector rattle

Yes,. ., we understand, but do you have the white smoke. I'd say if you do you've got a bad one, two or seven injectors. Rattles one thing but bad injector is another, ...right?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 AM

No white smoke. I do have the pinging like a gasser on bad fuel, relay chatter that I believe is coming from the injectors (key on, engine not running - not the lift pump), and a random miss. I figure I will take the beast in and see what they say.

And sheeesh, 7 injectors....dude you're hard on stuff! I feel for you though, that really stinks.

It's really just a matter of time and money before a set of aftermarket EDM's find their way under my hood!

Matt
Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 AM

7 injectors??/

Originally posted by gsdog1
No white smoke. I do have the pinging like a gasser on bad fuel, relay chatter that I believe is coming from the injectors (key on, engine not running - not the lift pump), and a random miss. I figure I will take the beast in and see what they say.

And sheeesh, 7 injectors....dude you're hard on stuff! I feel for you though, that really stinks.

It's really just a matter of time and money before a set of aftermarket EDM's find their way under my hood!

Matt
From where your sitting it may look that way,...the fact is I'm absolutely **** about the care of my truck. I suspect that it has something to do with where I was fueling. I am changing filling sites. I also just put on a FASS so with that and the additional filtering hopefully I have seen the end of the injector problem. And also I just started using Stanadyne. I had been using Power Service. Don't know if that will make any difference, but it seems that most of the members are using Stanadyne. The 7th injector was due to one of the last 3 that were replaced having been bad at the get go. You'd expect more than that from Bosch,..don't you think. Whoever tested that thing b-4 they boxed it should be shot.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by gdh11
Can anyone that is running Extrude Hones injectors if their fule mileage went up or down. I am looking to do injectors but only if it will help fuel mileage. I am realistic in hoping for a 1-1.5 MPG gain. Am I hoping for too much?
I would say that your better off getting a set of EDM's than EH injectors for fuel mileage. Due to the fact that the spray angles and holes are exactly the same as before just bigger for more fuel to pass.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM

Re: 7 injectors??

Originally posted by OT-OF-Here
From where your sitting it may look that way,...the fact is I'm absolutely **** about the care of my truck. I suspect that it has something to do with where I was fueling. I am changing filling sites. I also just put on a FASS so with that and the additional filtering hopefully I have seen the end of the injector problem. And also I just started using Stanadyne. I had been using Power Service. Don't know if that will make any difference, but it seems that most of the members are using Stanadyne. The 7th injector was due to one of the last 3 that were replaced having been bad at the get go. You'd expect more than that from Bosch,..don't you think. Whoever tested that thing b-4 they boxed it should be shot.
In all honesty, I really do feel for ya. Kinda teasing about you being hard on stuff. It really does stink that you have had 7 go bad. I am probably going to get mine in next week to the dealer so they can have a look-see.

I have run Stanadyne PF year round and have had a really good experience with it overall. I buy it by the case from an outfit in Indy.

FWIW - I ran a set of EDM's from Don in my 99 and was really impressed with them, and I am quite serious that it is only a matter of time and money till a set of his new ones goes in this truck.

Matt
Old 10-03-2004, 03:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have attached a few runs from the EDM testing in August. These were back to back and within 15 minutes of one another.

These were made with the TST box on Level 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, and 8-8. Its apparent the runs are all about the same in power. They lay right over the top of one another.

Notice the power never falls off like it does with stock injectors on the upper levels of the TST. Most trucks lose power after about the 4-4 setting. The TST box used is the hot version from the early days.

EGT dropped from the honed injectors we had in the truck from a normal high of 1500 at WOT in OD gear to 1250 in OD on the dyno. On the street the EGT does not exceed 1320 and that is for a brief second on the highest settings.

Looks like we have some real gains in econonmy. The truck went from an average of 16.5 with the honed to 20- 20.5 with the EDM's.

Testing is still being done, but I feel we are close to a solution of the high powered duration boxes like the TST and the EGT they bring. These runs were made with twin turbos and the single turbo runs are still ongoing. EGT reduction is very significant with the single turbos as well. In the next few weeks I will try and update again.

Link is here: http://www.f1diesel.com/commonrail.html

Don~
Old 10-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Were these runs done with or without the pressure box?

Brandon

Quick Reply: Common Rail EDM Injectors