3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Commander / Recon XZT Fuel Pressure Sending Unit Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlCorr
01-29-2007 - 10-6-2008

Are you saying they haven't fixed them yet?

every time i call they say soon, or no, just depends who i talk to.

i gave up and bought a mechanical fuel psi gauge and couldnt happier. i just

try to think about the $90 i spent on the commander sending unit
Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 AM

Yes, there is a fix for them but, we have not released it yet.

I can easily start selling a sending unit but, what happens if they fail in 3- 6 months or longer like the last ones we had? Then you will all be ticked again.

We have been doing continuous testing and until we are convinced we have something that won't fail we are not going to release it.

Its easy to gripe that we are not doing anything but, rather than just throw another part out we want it to be 100% right.

I am pretty sure we are there and we are using a transducer this time which is totally different than the regular resistive pressure sending units.

try to think about the $90 i spent on the commander sending unit
While I don't feel you should be happy, I do feel that statement is a little unfair. For the money on the fuel pressure kit you also get Rail Pressure and the $90 you mention just for rail pressure reading is pretty dang cheap. Basically you cannot get anything else to monitor rail pressure for that cheap.

So no, its not forgotten and we are hoping to have something available soon!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Hey man, I feel your pain, Ive been without an accurate fuel pressure reading for over 6 months now, I have called quadzilla and talked to them about this atleast 3 times. And they always say that they are working on a new sender unit. And thats all it is, Im going to call them again in a minute just to see what the excuse is now.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Just got off the phone with Jeremy from quadzilla. He says that they have tried several different sender units and they have all had the same problem. They are now working on another one that will have a transducer on it and a power and ground wire on it, and there will be a software update for the commander to make all of this work, they are not going to give us a new sender unit for free. They are going to give everyone that had bought one of the old ones an introductory discount on the new one. But he said it would be somewhere around 8 weeks before they start selling them. He said to keep a check on the website because as soon as they are available they will post it on the website. Just a little heads up, nothing real great, but better than nothing I suppose.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla

I can easily start selling a sending unit but, what happens if they fail in 3- 6 months or longer like the last ones we had? Then you will all be ticked again.

We have been doing continuous testing and until we are convinced we have something that won't fail we are not going to release it.

Its easy to gripe that we are not doing anything but, rather than just throw another part out we want it to be 100% right.

I am pretty sure we are there and we are using a transducer this time which is totally different than the regular resistive pressure sending units.

While I don't feel you should be happy, I do feel that statement is a little unfair. For the money on the fuel pressure kit you also get Rail Pressure and the $90 you mention just for rail pressure reading is pretty dang cheap. Basically you cannot get anything else to monitor rail pressure for that cheap.

im a 2nd gen, so no rail psi for me. i tried to be as nice as possible

thanks for the update quad.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You get an "A" for effort, Brian!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
You get an "A" for effort, Brian!

thanks Mike
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JONNY06DIEZAL
they are not going to give us a new sender unit for free. They are going to give everyone that had bought one of the old ones an introductory discount on the new one. But he said it would be somewhere around 8 weeks before they start selling them. He said to keep a check on the website because as soon as they are available they will post it on the website. Just a little heads up, nothing real great, but better than nothing I suppose.
I understand them charging for it, but it does upset me a little.
I wonder if I get a bigger discount because I have bought 3 of them.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by welndmn
The people that have bought and paid for sending unit will be taken care of.

You guys are putting the cart before the horse. I think I am yet to try and do anything screwy with any of our customers yet, many of you have already decided I am the bad guy and you are getting screwed?

Let us get a unit out that works properly and then we can work on taking care of you guys. I work on this stupid issue every single day. I have had more sending units installed on more trucks than its probably worth and so far at some point they have all failed.

The only units I have had that have not failed at all are transducers. These are expensive, they require wiring harness and board modifications and a real pain to get your hand on in volume, especially for low psi applications. These are sensors similar to your Rail Pressure sensor.

It is going to take a little time to get a program out there that causes as little grief as possible.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by welndmn

you should have only bought one. i havent paid for any of my replacements and dont plan to.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla

Thanks Quad for the update. I have been waiting around since I heard you were trying to get a fix for the problem. Let us know when its ready to go and what we need to do to get the fix.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM

I just stumbled across this thread. So, should I assume that the brand new fuel pressure kit that I just bought for my (also) new Recon will be inaccurate and fail? I just bought this three days ago in early November 2008. Why are they still being sold if they aren't working properly?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by newtrout
I just stumbled across this thread. So, should I assume that the brand new fuel pressure kit that I just bought for my (also) new Recon will be inaccurate and fail? I just bought this three days ago in early November 2008. Why are they still being sold if they aren't working properly?
Where did you buy it? AFAIK they stopped shipping new units. Perhaps your dealer had some old stock?

Did you see the OP date? 1-29-07

LOL...

I wonder if anyone's had any success running the Quad sensor with an isolator like a regular f/p gauge would use? Or if a SPA sensor would work with a Commander? I never had issues with my SPA sender.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM

I really want to buy a Commander but without the rail pressure harness, it's a waste of time. I will still get one but I'm gonna wait for the new sensor kit to come out. I have the Recon and it's been readind my fuel pressure 100% bang on since April. I just want a pressure kit regardless if the sensor fails or not. I need the harness for the rail pressure and don't care about the fuel pressure reading.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I noticed the start date of the thread. I also noticed there had been posts as recent as October of this year. That's part of why I was surprised to learn about this. If this has been a known problem for over a year, why could I still buy a new unit with the same sender?

I bought it online from Thoroughbred Diesel.

Originally Posted by JCLeary
Where did you buy it? AFAIK they stopped shipping new units. Perhaps your dealer had some old stock?

Did you see the OP date? 1-29-07

LOL...

I wonder if anyone's had any success running the Quad sensor with an isolator like a regular f/p gauge would use? Or if a SPA sensor would work with a Commander? I never had issues with my SPA sender.