3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Commander / Recon XZT Fuel Pressure Sending Unit Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commander / Recon XZT Fuel Pressure Sending Unit Resolved!

Ok, my first goal is to make this thread as simple as I can. This is going to be hard as I have 2 options for you guys.

First lets discuss the issue. While a large group of people report no issues with their fuel pressure readings, we have a pretty large group that is having issues reading very low or erratic.

So in all of this we did adjust our software so that we had a serious amount of resolution thinking that the signal was small enough that maybe it was getting hung between values and it was just our issue. Well that did nothing except make our software a little better!

We have felt all along that we had done our part and that the Commander/Recon software and hardware was correct so we wanted to make certain we did not make a knee jerk reaction as we wanted it to be right. Well low and behold we finally found out that we were right and these sensors are the problem.

Now, the sensors are not really bad. We originally wanted to offer as broad of a fuel pressure range as possoble which is why we went with a 0-100psi sensor. Now we have found out that they do not test these sensors below 25psi in their quality checks. This is where the issue is. We have tons of these sensors that are perfect and the calibration is correct across the spectrum. We also have a good handful that have a very high tolerance from 0-15psi and from 85-100 psi which is what some of you are seeing. Not knowing this we just assumed the sensors were either good or bad and all we could do is replace them. Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not as it was a total crap shoot. The funny part was that I never had any issues with Fords and fuel pressure. The reason is that the Fords run 50-80psi which the sensors have been checked at from the factory.

The good news is that we now know exactly how and what to test for and all of the sending units are tested against a test gauge and a normal mechanical gauge before I will ship them out.

Here we go to problem B. We ship literally hundreds of these fuel pressure sending units a month and we now have 2 people testing like crazy which is costing lots of money at this point. So the manufacturer is going to replace some of our stock with 0-40psi sensors which come factory tested across the entire range. This should insure that all units are good to go and we can continue to spot check instead of checking every unit.

Now for you guys, you get to make a choice as to what you want to do. We are ready and willing to ship brand new tested sending units to you right now. These have been tested and verified and they do work properly. These are still the 0-100psi sensor and we will continue to offer support (software) updates with the correct date for the 0-100psi sensor. Or. You can wait until we recieve a shipment of the 0-40 psi sensors and use them but, it will require a sotfware update. Either way I am confident that you guys will be happy with either one. The only downside at this point is that they are saying 4-6weeks for delivery as they are building a non-stock item for us to fit this application.

Now to get your problem fixed either way send an email to rwaddell@quadzillapower.com he knows the entire situation and has worked a lot with me on this. He will be happy to replace your sensor now or when we recieve the new ones, totally up to you.

Hope that helps and is not too confusing. I normally do not like to give out options as they create confusion but, I wanted to be as honest as I can be so that you guys get what you want.

Quad
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Quad, I have tried to send two emails from two different email accounts and had both rejected. Can I call Roark on this or does it have to be by email?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:08 PM

I fixed it, I had a typo on the email link.

And yes you can call him, I just was trying to keep him from getting too buried! Also I wanted people that read this after hours to have an easy way to contact him on this while they are online.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Quad,

Do we need to reference serial numbers or anything else in the email?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 PM

I am not sure what they are going to ask for at this point. All I did was tell them to get them replaced as fast as we can test them.

I am not sure what all the right steps will be so we can keep track of everything, I just want it fixed and over with.

I have been patient with the sensor manufacturer through all of this but when I consider all the wasted time and effort I get frustrated. It has cost a lot of time and money to figure out we did what we were supposed to do. So once I got the issue resolved I got away from it ASAP!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM

I can't speak for anyone else but I would say I'm willing to pay for a new sending unit simply for compensation for the time and effort you've put into this unit. I would feel that the "right," thing to do as far as your vendor is concerned is re-imburse you for all these out-of-spec units but, failing that, I'd offer to pay for a new unit, like I said, because of the work and time you've put into this. I consider your work of enough value to me (helping me prevent IP failures on top of the list) that I'd like to help compensate you for your hard work. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:04 PM

The other day I picked up a dictionary and when I opened it up to the word integrity it had a picture of "Quad"

Outstanding customer service. If only other businesses could learn this.

Thanks for keeping your customers informed.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Okay I recieved my new sending unit yesterday and installed it last night. All I did last night was start the truck after the install to check for leaks and at idle my pressure was up 2 lbs from 3 lbs. to 5 lbs On my way in this morning I was watching the pressures and usually on the highway at 65 mph I was seeing no higher than 6 to 7 lbs but this morning I saw 9 to 10 lbs all the way in to work.

I still don't know if these numbers are good or bad for the in tank pump but they are higher and more consistant than I was seeing before. I want to thank Quad and Roark for their quick response to this issue and what looks like a fix to the problem I was having. I will keep a eye on things over the next couple of weeks but I am a lot happier now.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM

Thumbs up

This is prime example of the reason I chose Quads Race box and Commander. It's refreshing to see a person follow through with something to the end, doing whatever it takes. My FP guage hasn't read correct from day one, but I was never worried about it as I knew Quad would get to bottom of it and take care of it. Thanks Quad. Wish everyone I dealt with had your attitude, integrity, and gumption to get things done right.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Hunter,

It seems that you are now getting correct readings. These trucks should run in the 6-8psi range on average. You will see the 9-10psi come up when you roll up to a stop light or after you run it pretty hard and then back off. What you are seeing is the vloume of fuel to the CP3 getting backed up a little and then it will sort itself back out. The mechanical gauges are typically not quick enough for you to see this but that is precisely what is happening!

To you other guys, I appreciate the support. I am pretty aggevated that this was not solved much sooner as it was a very simply solution. We did work something out with the manufacturer and they are replacing the faulty units and they have been fair with us. The only thing that I am upset about is that it took this long for them to actually tell us how they tested and what tolerances they held at the upper and lower threshold of the sensor. Originally they held firm in stating that they held a tolerance across the board and that is what they tested for which we all know is a bunch of bull now!

AS you guys get your replacement sensors make sure and let me know how they work!

Once again sorry that this was such a pain!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM

so what can i do? where or who do i contact to get a new sender?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sallyman1
so what can i do? where or who do i contact to get a new sender?
Considering the last post was in February of 2007 and I have heard a lot about fuel pressure issues with the Commander this year I would say there still isn't a fix.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Considering the last post was in February of 2007 and I have heard a lot about fuel pressure issues with the Commander this year I would say there still isn't a fix.

you are correct.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 AM

01-29-2007 - 10-6-2008

Are you saying they haven't fixed them yet?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Can anyone tell I'm a little disappointed with my Quadzilla fuel pressure gauge?

Quick Reply: Commander / Recon XZT Fuel Pressure Sending Unit Resolved!