3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Commander fuel pressure sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commander fuel pressure sending unit

Has anyone else had problems with thier sending units. Quad just sent me one about a month or two ago (supposed to be the haevy duty ones). It worked great until a week ago. Now my readings are right on when cold. When the truck warms a bit the readings are all over. Here is what mine is doing. It will be at 18-19 psi while at idle. Heavy throttle it will go to 17 psi. under light throttle and cruising it will go from 19 to 14 to 19 to 4 to 12 to 19 stay there a while and start the process over agian. What is the deal. I did have it do the same at idle once in a while, and I check it with the under the hood guage (attached to the fuel filter canister) and that reads a steady 18-19 psi. Is it the sending unit, or is something else goign on?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM

I called Quadzilla yesterday, they haven't had a new supplier for their fuel pressure sending units yet. Jeremy said to call back in month or two. Mine doesn't work either.
Apparently they have stopped selling the fuel pressure sending units for the Commander.817-306-3879 is their support #.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Mine too

Mine is still crazy too. Oddly enough I've noticed the temperature change causes the issue too. First thing in the morning all is well, but has the truck warms and the fuel warms the reading starts going all over the place. I'm running out of time on mine since my warranty is up on the 15th. I got a card in the mail this week saying I can extend my warranty another year for 50 bucks which kind of surprised me. For some reason I thought they had a longer warranty.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Is the fuel pressure sending unit for the Commander, the same as the sending unit for the RP/FP gauge?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 PM

I forgot to mail in the warranty card in the 30 period, so of course my Recon "broke". Apparently it had a power/ground short and kept blinking off and on and off again and it caused my truck ECM to "race the idle" up and down one morning as I was leaving for work. I unpluged it and drove to work and replugged after getting there and it did the "crazy idle thing again, so I unplugged it for good.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Yep same FP problem here. Its hung at whatever fp it wants for the day. and I guess I need a boost bolt since thats way off too. bummer. I need a good set of gauges. Oddly enough even the tranny sender reads 100* no matter if its running or not and it never changes. Jeremy tried to help me to no avail.
This things turnin into a real problem for him. Plus I bought a used xzt and it had problems.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 AM

I have the rp/fp guage (and a new HD Sender on the way)...mine reads 12-17 and then all of a sudden will read 0-4.....it's all over the map!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 AM

When I couldn't get a fuel pressure sender kit for my Rail Pressure Gauge, they recommended I go with a part from egauges.com... It was actually and ISSPro part and it works flawlessly. I don't have the part # handy right now, but it's what Quad tech support told me to buy and it hasn't given me any issued whatsoever. Its actually a 0-100psi sender, but they said the calibration for it was spot on so it would work.

I'll dig up the info on it. It was like $30 shipped to my house in just a couple of days. Very nice.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 AM

I have had nothing but a bad experience with Quad. My fuel pressure gauge didn’t work from the day I bought it, and Quad wouldn’t stand behind it. They insisted on charging me extra for the “heavy duty” sender to make it work. The 1st replacement worked for a week and the 2nd replacement is still working but I don’t trust it. I decided to take my business elsewhere. There are so many good vendors in the performance diesel industry. I don’t have the tolerance or time for a vendor that wont stand behind their stuff.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:21 AM

i've had my fuel pressure kit for a year and a half and it has worked for maybe 5-6 months between 2 sending units. I called quad last september about the issue and they put me on a call back list when they were gonna get some hd senders in. guess what? this is the first time , because of this thread that i've heard of the hd sending unit out and apparently it doesn't work. lovely! now what?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 AM

He posted a while back that he was goin to quit makin and selling the fp gauge. Said it would cost too much to manufacture and be competative. I always praised quad for having such super ability to do what customers need. Im still not sure if were out in the cold yet but im startin to doubt. Hey if you can find that part # I would buy it. I just want it to work even if its gonna cost me $30 bucks. I know Genos has the boost bolt I need for like $8.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tristan21
He posted a while back that he was goin to quit makin and selling the fp gauge. Said it would cost too much to manufacture and be competative. I always praised quad for having such super ability to do what customers need. Im still not sure if were out in the cold yet but im startin to doubt. Hey if you can find that part # I would buy it. I just want it to work even if its gonna cost me $30 bucks. I know Genos has the boost bolt I need for like $8.
I will be disappointed if They don't offer a fuel gauge to go with the commander anymore. I bought a commander a while ago and would like to add fuel gauge to it. That is the main reason I bought it to get one gauge that does it all. Why cant they figure it out other company's have them?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM

what color is the sending units you guys are having probs with?i bought a used fuel pres kit about 6 months ago{not sure how old it was before i got it}and its brass or gold color,i ask cuz im trying to find out if its the 40psi or 100psi model,when i updated the camander my fuel pres changed,now theres an option for changing the setting from 40-100psi senders.i dont know what setting to put it on,
Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I went egauges.com and found several pressure senders. The one that looks like it will work is P/N SN52. There really is no description. I just got my RP/FP gauge 2 weeks ago and not sure if its the HD sender that comes with the kit but, when its cold outside it bounces between 2-3psi not matter at idle or WOT and when its warm it bounces between 4-5psi!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just bought a commander and fuel pressure kit one month ago i think i will add a 18"grease gun hose and a snubber to it like i would for a mechanical gauge maby that is what is killing the sendor's

Quick Reply: Commander fuel pressure sending unit