3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Commander freeze-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commander freeze-up

Anybody ever have a Commander freeze up while driving? I was heading down the highway and 15 minutes into the drive the display just went static!

When I got to a place where I could stop, I cut the engine and restarted. It came back (to normal conditions) but I don't want this to happen again.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the cause?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM

I have not had any problems but I have only had mine a week. Lets hope Quad can help you out.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:40 PM

My juice/attitude does the same thing....Sent it back to Edge to only have it returned and working worse than it did before. The saga continues........
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyHauler
Anybody ever have a Commander freeze up while driving? I was heading down the highway and 15 minutes into the drive the display just went static!

When I got to a place where I could stop, I cut the engine and restarted. It came back (to normal conditions) but I don't want this to happen again.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the cause?
Yeah, I know what it is. We have had a couple do this and it is the height of the LCD screen on the board itself. For some reason when it was assembled they put about 1/32" space between the bottom of the display and the backlight. Anyhow what happens is that when it is installed in the plastic enclosure it puts a very slight amount of pressure on it (it is supposed to) and the extra height makes it a little too much pressure. Now in a static world they are still fine but, being in a bumpy truck could make it show up.

It may never happen again or it could? hard to say as we have only seen a couple so far but, if you want call tech and tell them what happened and they will get it fixed or swapped out for you.

Quad
Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Yeah, I know what it is. We have had a couple do this and it is the height of the LCD screen on the board itself. For some reason when it was assembled they put about 1/32" space between the bottom of the display and the backlight. Anyhow what happens is that when it is installed in the plastic enclosure it puts a very slight amount of pressure on it (it is supposed to) and the extra height makes it a little too much pressure. Now in a static world they are still fine but, being in a bumpy truck could make it show up.

It may never happen again or it could? hard to say as we have only seen a couple so far but, if you want call tech and tell them what happened and they will get it fixed or swapped out for you.

Quad
I am out of town this week, so I will see if it does it again once I return. I would hate to have to replace it, but that may be an option. Thanks for the assistance - do you have a name / number to call?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Anyone in tech can help you. 888-842-6572.

I hate that stupid stuff happens to but, I have found that when you produce thousands and thousands of anything there is bound to be a few that have an issue. We test and test and test and still have little stuff from time to time. I think we figured that each Commander has about 20 total minutes of labor just testing each one before they ship. Trust me it is a pain in the rear and then we still learn about things that can happen in a truck and not on a bench!

It may never be a problem for you but, we will gladly replace it for piece of mind!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:08 AM

my juice monitor does that too! it works for a whiel then freezes up...but when it freezes it cuts power to the box?? and the box gets hot too!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Anyone in tech can help you. 888-842-6572.

I hate that stupid stuff happens to but, I have found that when you produce thousands and thousands of anything there is bound to be a few that have an issue. We test and test and test and still have little stuff from time to time. I think we figured that each Commander has about 20 total minutes of labor just testing each one before they ship. Trust me it is a pain in the rear and then we still learn about things that can happen in a truck and not on a bench!

It may never be a problem for you but, we will gladly replace it for piece of mind!
Thanks for the info and assistance. I will call them when I return and see about next actions (replacement, etc.). I LOVE the product, so either way I will be happy.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Talked to Tech Service today and, since the units are on backorder, I would have to send mine in and wait 2+ weeks if there had to be a replacement. I am waiting until the backorder status is gone and then I will send it in for diagnosis and repair.

The display now comes on, shows only the Fuel Pressure readout, and then I have to press around the screen to get my normal display view to show up. Tech Service said that it may be a low pressure warning at first, so I will leave it alone and monitor it for the next few weeks.

Thanks Qzilla for the assistance.