3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Clear Cab Roof Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birvin

Originally posted by Birvin
Does anyone have pics of the smoke colored cab lights on a black truck??
Check out my gallery. There is a pic of a Chevy, but atleast you will get an idea of what it looks like.. Email me if you need anymore photos.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 PM

Just to clarify, everyone keeps talking about "Smoke color" lenses and such. ALL these lenses are the EXACT same, that is CLEAR. The only difference is the color of the base which is either Black ("Smoke Lenses"), Chrome ("Clear Lenses") or White.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:10 PM

Berak

Originally posted by Berak
Just to clarify, everyone keeps talking about "Smoke color" lenses and such. ALL these lenses are the EXACT same, that is CLEAR. The only difference is the color of the base which is either Black ("Smoke Lenses"), Chrome ("Clear Lenses") or White.
Great point Berak. Your right on with that....
Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 AM

Has anyone received their lights from Smart Deals yet? I ordered about 3 weeks ago...They stated they were one week out at the time...Hmmmm. Time to cancel the CC I guess.

--D
Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 PM

Rockrover

They just got there shipment today. I know this because a friend of mine went there and picked his up. Try calling them at 866 999 6255. I hope this helps you.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Berak
Just a quick update. Removing the white foam gasket and using clear silicone allows the lenses to fit much better, they look like a good fit now sealing right down to the sheet metal. The silicone should provide a better seal anyway, removal and replacement would be the only hassle now.

They will definately look very sharp when I'm all done, hopefully get to it this weekend or sooner. I'll get some pics online somewhere when I'm done.

I wish the bulbs I was using were brighter though. The brighter the better. Anyone try Jamstraight brand LED lights? They are more expensive than the ones I ordered online but if they are twice as bright they would be worth it.

In summary, I recommend the following steps to install:

1) Enlarge the screw holes slightly with a 11/64" drill bit. Best to screw the screws completely through the lens before screwing into the cab holes.

2) Throw away oem plastic washers and replace with correctly sized fiber ones (found mine at local True Value hardware @ 0.25 each , and you need ten.)

3) Throw away white foam gasket and use thick bead of clear silicone, wiping away any excess as the lens is screwed down and squeezes out the silicone.

I agree on the fit. The ends hit before the middle. However i kept with the white gasket as first i have to change the bulbs in a week when i get the right ones resent to me. Second the removal process makes me leary about harming the paint. Only if the white foam leaks because it doesnt have enough pressure put upoun the middle. third, they didnt foolow the contour without the gasket.
Also of note, my factory lenses were made by hella and they had a black rubber weatherstripping underneath and looked like they each had a hand written intial that the lens was "OKA". I wonder if they changed the design for those of you experiencing a leaking problem. A 2003 truck at work looks like its lenses were differnt. when i change the bulbs i might ream out the holes because i heard crunching noises when i was tightening them down.
Anyhow looks good but id rather have the amber bulbs in...
Old 12-17-2004, 03:39 PM

Interesting becasue mine seemed to fit better without the gasket at all and using silicone. I don't think silicone would remove the paint but I could be wrong. I know they wont leak underneath now, and with the Amber LED lights in, I shouldn't have to remove a light for the life of the truck anyway. I did have a leak with the oem units, which is now gone.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Rancho71
(OK, so how does a white light bulb under a clear lens mounted over a black base emit an amber light?)

These bulbs are not AMBER Color. They are Super white. This bulb does not emit amber light. If you want to still go with the amber color, then go out and spend 3 dollars on 194 amber colored bulbs.

Funny...I FINALLY received the smoked clear lenses in the mail....However the bulbs are BLUE! Not really into the ricer thing on this rig so I ordered the 194's...These look like a 'plug and play' type of deal...True? If so I can sillicon the base, mount the lenses, and still have access to the bulb right? Blue might not be too bad for a couple of day's! YO!

--D
Old 12-17-2004, 04:03 PM

Rover-The lights looks blue until they are turned on then they are bright white.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 PM

Hmmmm...The bulbs are dark-blue...I believe you though. Ordered the ambers still...Not bad at .79c each! I'm out only 8.95 with shipping...White does sound kinda' cool w/out being over the top.

--D
Old 12-17-2004, 09:07 PM

yeah the blue becomes white. Its not bad but i dont want my truck to stick out that much. the clear lense during the day is a nice subtle differnce. Great customer service from suprebrightleds.com BTW. they had a misbatched bunch sent out and theyare taking care of everything ASAP. Oh and while i was at work today (hardware store ) there is this rope caulking for windows and doors and it does mention auto. so i may trythat if i have any problems with the white foam.