3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Clear Cab Roof Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My stock amber lenses get moisture in them, anyone else have this problem? Any easy fix?
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

I have a question on these clear lenses. Are they just clear or are they the crystal clear type?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:00 AM

Angry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by V6Power87
My stock amber lenses get moisture in them, anyone else have this problem? Any easy fix? [3/QUOTE] As I was told By the Dodge dealer their's a problem at the factory over tightening them causing the rubber Gasset to leak.The only way to fix is to replace them by your warranty. What about the ones that aren't leaking now?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Miles PH
What about the ones that aren't leaking now?
find a way to make them leak??
later, dustin
Old 10-24-2004, 08:00 PM

ok

ok....
Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 PM

Just got my set of these tonight. From the outside top they look identical to the oem units. From the side it appears they may have more curvature than the oem units, which I thought might be a better fit than oem and therefore seal better. After installation though it seems the oem unit has the right curvature and these have ever so slightly too much. This results in the white gasket being visible, especially in the middle of the light. I recommend you "wobble" or ream the screw holes on these with a 11/64" drill bit to prevent excessive binding of the oem screws. They are very tight and I'm afraid may actually crack the plastic if the hole isn't relieved slightly. Also, as noted previously these use a different bulb socket so the oem wiring must be cut and rewired to the new socket. If the lens holder hole was made the same as the oem units, this would be a MUCH easier and painless install. Perhaps patent infringement or something prevents it, I don't know.

I only installed one so far (too dark to continue) but overall the fit and finish isn't top notch. The chromed plastic base (I got the "Clear" units) looks a little rough around the edges. I'm waiting to get a better look in daylight to see how it looks overall, but mostly right now I'm not too pleased with the showing white gasket and I'm afraid to tighten it down any more for fear of cracking the plastic. I may scrap the white foam gasket and put a nice bead of clear silicone around the base instead. Not easily removed but should look and seal a whole lot better.

I also recommend ditching the oem washers and getting some nice fiber ones (don't use rubber ones, they disentegrate and distort, been there) for the screws also.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Berak,

Thanks for the update on the lack of quality. I attempted to buy a set and was told they were out of stock until week's end.

If they are second rate, I will not buy them.

Thanks again for the report.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 PM

I was thinking about getting these as well....now I think I will postpone for now.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:03 PM

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying, just relaying my experinces. I think with the silicone use and gasket removal they will look great from just about any distance. If you were to examine them up close would be the only time you might notice the things I pointed out.

I forgot to mention that the 5 LED Amber type 194 lights I got from superbrightleds.com seem adequate. They are about as bright as factory lighting but it is much sharper (focused) and less diffused than the oem units. They are also much more of a yellow tint than oem color, which I was going for anyway.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:56 PM

Just a quick update. Removing the white foam gasket and using clear silicone allows the lenses to fit much better, they look like a good fit now sealing right down to the sheet metal. The silicone should provide a better seal anyway, removal and replacement would be the only hassle now.

They will definately look very sharp when I'm all done, hopefully get to it this weekend or sooner. I'll get some pics online somewhere when I'm done.

I wish the bulbs I was using were brighter though. The brighter the better. Anyone try Jamstraight brand LED lights? They are more expensive than the ones I ordered online but if they are twice as bright they would be worth it.

In summary, I recommend the following steps to install:

1) Enlarge the screw holes slightly with a 11/64" drill bit. Best to screw the screws completely through the lens before screwing into the cab holes.

2) Throw away oem plastic washers and replace with correctly sized fiber ones (found mine at local True Value hardware @ 0.25 each , and you need ten.)

3) Throw away white foam gasket and use thick bead of clear silicone, wiping away any excess as the lens is screwed down and squeezes out the silicone.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 AM

To ALL

After reading this post, I am quite confused. I absolutely had no problem whatsoever installing these on my truck. With all do respect to Berak, I know 4 other guys that have had no problem installing these. I dont understand, but I guess that Berak had a bad package perhaps. That would be weird, but again, I had no problem, and the fit is great. Thanks for updating us. I have attached a picture of one pc installed in the beggining of this thread.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:08 AM

Re: To ALL

Originally posted by Rancho71
I have attached a picture of one pc installed in the beggining of this thread.

Where is the pic at? Been looking for it, was it was it removed?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:16 AM

I didn't have any problems installing them, but using the white foam gasket didn't seem to allow a perfect fit. Maybe most wouldn't care about the visible white gasket underneath but I found it pretty distracting.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Re: To ALL

Originally posted by HdPower
Where is the pic at? Been looking for it, was it was it removed?
We are having data base issues and attachments had to be removed until we can dig up the extra cash for a bigger, more powerful server.

We regret it, but nothing we could do as the system was choking down when it got busy. What needs to happen for now, is for you guys to put these pics in your photo galleries and then link to them when making a post.

The photo galleries are in a separate system so it won't clog up the DB
Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 AM

Finished the install yesterday and all went pretty well. They do fit nicely without the white foam gasket and they look really slick. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Quick Reply: Clear Cab Roof Lights