3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Clear Cab Roof Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too got them from Ebay. Smoke lens with brite white bulbs. They are a complete replacement of existing. Not just lens. You have to cut the wires because the bulb holder does not fit into new socket. Pretty easy though. Took 20 minutes. Check out pic in my gallery.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Behrman

Your truck looks great. Wow, what a difference a day makes. Those amber colored lenses blow. Again, good luck with the truck. I will be posting pics of my buddy's silver 3500 after I leave the office. I cant beleive the response I have gotten since putting these on. Crazy!!!. Take care..
Old 10-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Berak
Just ordred a set from the ebay deal. I'm going with clear lenses. I also ordered a set of amber LED type 194 bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com to go in them. I got their 5 led wedge style which should put out light all around. They were under $20 inlcuding shipping for all 5. Should be slick.
When you get them installed please take a picture at night and post it. I'd like to see how well the LED's match the parking lights.

After seeing Behrman's pictures I must say that the clear lenses look awesome on a silver truck. On my graphite truck I'm not sure they would look so good. The smoked ones may look better...or maybe not.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:52 AM

Now I'm kinda thinking smoked on the silver - gonna have black bumpers and Line-X'd rocker panels... The clears are way cool, smoked will probably look like freckles... Anyone got pics of smoked on silver?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Behrman,
The clears look good on the silver. BTW, is that an antenna mounted in the middle of your hood?

Since I have Lt. Almond the amber lenses doesn't stick out like sore thumb. But the clears would probably look good also, with amber LEDs.

MikeyB
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by BEHRMAN
I too got them from Ebay. Smoke lens with brite white bulbs.
Just curious. Does it bother anyone that DOT and all state requirements are very specific about placement of amber and red clearance lights? If the lights don't project amber and/or red in the required locations (whether it's the lens color or the underlying bulb doesn't matter), I would think the law enforcement community might want to have a roadside discussion.

Rusty
Old 10-21-2004, 08:25 AM

Rustyjc

I have installed the smoke lenses, and these are 100% DOT and SAE approved. My brother in law is a Florida state trooper, and he said as long as the color that is ommited is amber than you are good to go. I stuck with the super white bulbs, he he he , just because it looks great with my HID'S. I hope I answered your ?....
Old 10-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Re: Rustyjc

Originally posted by Rancho71
I have installed the smoke lenses, and these are 100% DOT and SAE approved. My brother in law is a Florida state trooper, and he said as long as the color that is ommited is amber than you are good to go. I stuck with the super white bulbs, he he he , just because it looks great with my HID'S. I hope I answered your ?....
Not really. I'm trying to figure out how a super white bulb under a smoke-colored lens can emit an amber light.

Rusty
Old 10-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Rustyjc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RustyJC
[B]Not really. I'm trying to figure out how a super white bulb under a smoke-colored lens can emit an amber light.

The smoke lens that I got are really not smoked, just looks that way. They are really clear lens on a black base to make it look smoked.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeyB
[B]Behrman,
The clears look good on the silver. BTW, is that an antenna mounted in the middle of your hood?

Yes it is. I wanted to have satellite signal when I have the camper on. So I drilled a big a$$ hole in my hood. Actually looks pretty cool though. Everyone asks what it is and I tell them it's a "heater core power generator sensor". I then receive the blank stare.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Rustyjc

Originally posted by BEHRMAN
The smoke lens that I got are really not smoked, just looks that way. They are really clear lens on a black base to make it look smoked.
OK, so how does a white light bulb under a clear lens mounted over a black base emit an amber light?

Rusty
Old 10-21-2004, 10:35 AM

(OK, so how does a white light bulb under a clear lens mounted over a black base emit an amber light?)

These bulbs are not AMBER Color. They are Super white. This bulb does not emit amber light. If you want to still go with the amber color, then go out and spend 3 dollars on 194 amber colored bulbs.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM

I think what Rusty is after is...If you spoke to your brother-in-law, the State Trooper, and understand that the emitted light must be amber, why are you running white bulbs?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Rancho71
These bulbs are not AMBER Color. They are Super white. This bulb does not emit amber light.
Then you are in violation of the law and can expect to have discussions with the law enforcement officials somewhere down the road. We went through this a few years ago with snazzy blue clearance lights.

Rusty
Old 10-21-2004, 11:19 AM

Well, I will just take that chance. I hope you understand that the light that emitted is White, not blue, or red,. And should I get pulled over, and "Law enforcement" asks me to change them, then I will put in 194 Amber colored bulbs. If you looked at one of my posts then you will see that My clearance lights now match my headlights. I understand what you are saying...I could see if the clearance lights were blue, or another color, but thats not the case.

Quick Reply: Clear Cab Roof Lights