3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

chip and tranny upgrades for 03 3500?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chip and tranny upgrades for 03 3500?????

ok, just got this 03 3500, great truck only 96,000 miles. It is my pulling rig, both tractor pulls and trailer puller. I have it straight pipe dual 4" from under passenger seat back, and a turbo off of an 04.5 for an upgrade for the meantime. It also has an EZ edge on it, I think, It had it on there when I bought it, deffinitely not a juice. I just put a Banks intake and ram scoop on. I want to upgrade to a better chip. I'm a Banks Power fan, any recomendations/ experience with any of these chips? Was looking at the six gun with IQ. Next, the tranny. I have a completely built tranny in my 04.5, but was wondering what I could do to this tranny to help it stand strong without dumping that $3,500 again.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had banks on my 97 and I won't use them again. You can get more for less $$. The only thing I don't like about my predator is the lack of power selections between 100 hp and the wildest tunes. I run the 100 hp 99% of the time and it's also awesome for towing. 100 makes it run like the new diesels and egt only maxxes ~1225. The high hp tunes are fun to play with and I can tow with them if I want. Power is amazing - that 5.9 sounds like a rocket! The predator was cheap and it does what I want but there are way more versitlie tuners and chips. I've seriously thought about a TST PMCR but now I've been reading about something new from smarty - user programable tunes with better tq management so the throttle won't be so touchy. Craig
Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 AM

That's good food for thought. I just read the new Banks will let you tune up tranny shift pressures and monitor all your computer safety settings. I know edge does some of the computer monitoring, I have had 2 of the juice/ attitudes and liked them, but as you mentioned about the banks, it takes some bucks to get one.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do some reading here, you'll find next to no one saying "get banks". you've fallen for the ad hype Banks has.

"a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others"

I was right where you were at one time. Got a six-gun w/speedloader. biggest waste of $$$... plus it is hard on injectors (it uses injection pressure to make power)

Most of the folks that like and recommend Banks, bought it first and never have tried anything else. Those like you who had something first then bought Banks are usually

Smarty is such a night and day difference over anything Banks it is unreal.

Get a smarty. Then you can run as mild or wild as you are comfortable with.

I've said many times here that the best part about Banks is the safeties they employ to save your tranny or engine. They are very aggressive safeties that tend to defeat the intended purpose:

Step on the accelerator, it defuels; turn on the key it defuels. Heck I'm pretty sure it starts defueling when you open the driver's door.

As far as the tranny... if you had a newer tranny then usually a TC/VB is good enough of an upgrade. But if you've go a lot of miles on it... then the built tranny may be the best path. It pays to call and speak to a tranny expert like Dave Goerend (if you can catch him, busy man there). He's very good about giving sound advice without trying to sell you something you don't need. In other words if he tells you you need something, take the advice.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM

well, to say the least, my mind has been changed about banks. Thanks for saving me a moment.
I was just talking with my buddy that owns the local performance shop and he was talking up the smarty also. I just was looking at the smarty jr. for the on the fly changes. I wish it monitored boost and tranny slippage like the edge. I bring this up because I also found a used edge for my truck for 150 obo.