3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

CHeck out this torque convertor lockup switch mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHeck out this torque convertor lockup switch mod

What do you guys think, I picked this up off TDR

Torque Converter Lock-up Switch Installation

Installation Instructions

Torque Converter Lockup Switch

for 1996 - 2003 Ram Diesels

(except California vehicles)

The addition and use of a torque converter lockup switch can improve 0 to 60 mph times by 3-5 seconds, improve your ability to stay in higher gear when pulling heavy loads, and improves braking in 3rd and 4th gears when using an exhaust brake. The following diagram is supplied at no cost or obligation. Note that use of this method of lockup may be hard on vehicle drivetrain and may void vehicle drivetrain warranty. Use makes vehicle drive like a manual transmission in 4th gear such that vehicle may/will stall at low speeds/stops if lockup is not disconnected.

Note: Some 1996 automatics require computer to be reflashed by dealer for the lockup switch to work.

Step-by-step Instructions:

1. Install jumper wire in place of the trans relay in the Power Distribution Center (black box behind driver side battery) as shown in diagram below. This jumper wire will supply 12 volt positive to the transmission torque converter clutch solenoid. This jumper will be electrically hot thus it should be installed so as not to short against ground.

Note: The position of this relay changes from one year to the next. Consult relay location chart on inside of relay box cover.

2. Install ground wire from the B11 orange wire with black stripe to a switch or relay such that the ground source can be turned on and off. The B11 wire is located in the middle computer connector located on the firewall behind the air cleaner.

Driver must ground the B11 wire, have gear selector in Drive, and be moving fast enough to be in second gear before the torque converter clutch will engage. Transmission will shift from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th(unless Overdrive is off) with the torque converter clutch locked. Once in 4th, the transmission will not downshift unless the ground source is interrupted, i.e. the switch is turned off.

Torque Converter Lockup Switch

for 1994 - 1995 Ram Diesels

The addition and use of a torque converter lockup switch can improve 0 to 60 mph times by 3-5 seconds, improve your ability to stay in higher gear when pulling heavy loads, and improves braking in 3rd and 4th gears when using an exhaust brake. The following diagram is supplied at no cost or obligation. Note that use of this method of lockup may be hard on vehicle drivetrain and may void vehicle drivetrain warranty. Use makes vehicle drive like a manual transmission in 4th gear such that vehicle may/will stall at low speeds/stops if lockup is not disconnected.

Step-by-step Instructions:

Install ground wire from the pin 54 orange wire with black stripe to a switch or relay such that the ground source can be turned on and off. The pin 54 orange wire with black stripe is located in computer connector located on the firewall behind the air cleaner.

Driver must ground the pin 54 wire, have gear selector in Drive, and be moving fast enough to be in second gear before the torque converter clutch will engage. Transmission will shift from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th(unless Overdrive is off) with the torque converter clutch locked. Once in 4th, the transmission will not downshift unless the ground source is interrupted, i.e. the switch is turned off.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 PM

Here also are a couple of diagrams
Old 08-18-2004, 06:59 PM

pic 2
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 PM

Isn't that 47RE's only?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 PM

Don't know
Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 PM

Thats old info , i wouldnt follow that advice unless you fully understand how,and when to use the switch. Most people who install them end up doing more damage than good. "forgetting" to turn it off as you slow down will destroy the transmission in no time.Also forcing a stock trans to stay locked in hi gear,even with mild bombs is asking for trouble. You will quickly have slippage from the direct clutch pack and torque convertor,even with a mild torque plate or a small timing box.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 PM

That's what I was expecting to hear
Oh well, guess I'll leave that one alone!