3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cheap Train Horns for us tightwads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn, I was hoping for a better report. Maybe I will try the cheapo plastic horns.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM

They do sound great. They are just not "EarBlastering" loud. Don't be discouraged until I post a soundclip...
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM

Sound Clip !!!!!!!

I wanted to compare them to the stock horns but I had to pull those out and replace them with these. I put these on the stock mount and actually wired them directly to the factory plugs but doing that only gives you a real short burst of sound. I ended up using the relay they send with them and wired directly to the battery using a recommended 30amp fuse. It's not loud enough to scare you when you hit the horn but it's definitely louder than stock. Just what I was looking for......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiMjehJGcDk
Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 PM

don't sound to bad! I think they sound pretty good for the price. Thanks for the video!! sounds that they were an easy install also.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 AM

Since I was able to pull the stock horns off of their mount and replace them with these, that made the install pretty easy. If you have any kind of knowledge of wiring things up then that part is very easy too. The directions are very good and they give you a very good wiring diagram...
You pull the inner fender mount off. Look up and the horns are right there. Unplug them and unbolt the mount. Pull them out and take them off the mount. Take the new horns off their mount and put them on the factory one making sure you have the bigger horn pointing down. Wire them up and reinstall the fenderliner. You do need to wire them up before you bolt them in due to the location on the connections on the horns...
One thing I was afraid of with using the factory wiring was that it may be too loud when I hit the alarm button and the horn honks. Well, there is just the smallest honk now and it's actually not even as loud as it was with the factory horns...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Since the horns are moving more air, does the still allow the truck to fall under STOCK power?

Definate look in to......hmmmmm

Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Man! I'm never going to live that statement down am I?!?!
I guess I will just have to buy a Smarty once they come out just so everybody will leave me alone finally!!!

Just kidding of course.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

Nice bright sound. Sounds like a OTR rig.

Damon
Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing to live up to or down...the stock power thing that is. The guys in DTR18 are giving me a hard time as well. Aren't you happy with the power it makes as is? Even my '06 manual with a Smarty would have had to play catch-up. Like the horns though.

Also once again,IT'S THRIFTY!!!

Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Well, you know I'm thrifty. That's why we know each other now..

Yeah I am very happy with the power as it is. I honestly have no desire for more power. I drive much slower and safer now that I have kids and I have gotten older. Now I just want to make my truck as good as it can be, which is a never ending quest......
Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 PM

In case anyone cares, I ordered another of the bigger horns to add to this setup. Hopefully it will be a good bit louder. I may even wire the stock horns back in too just for a bit more sound....
I heard a couple of Tractor trailers having a horn contest in my industrial park this morning. NOW I can tell how much louder those are..... Holy Cow!!! I can't believe some of you guys actually have those on your trucks! That's insane!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

MIKE. you outta hear my Nathans... talk about LOUD.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM

I heard some this morning out in the parking lot. As I said, you guys are nuts!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:26 PM

So nuts I'm adding a second set to get even louder.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
In case anyone cares, I ordered another of the bigger horns to add to this setup. Hopefully it will be a good bit louder. I may even wire the stock horns back in too just for a bit more sound....
Is the current set louder than the stocker or about the same?

Quick Reply: Cheap Train Horns for us tightwads...