3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cheap Train Horns for us tightwads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope just learned about it from this thread and so I thought I'd make an offer of $65 shipped and he counter offered at the $73.99 with free shipping. I declined. Im gonna wait to hear how Dodgezilla likes his before I buy. Just thought I'd share with ya'll so you won't have to pay that outrageous $15 shipping charge.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Yeah, Once I post my results I'm gonna tell him he needs to give me a rebate for each additional one that is ordered by one of you guys. You will just have to tell him that I sent you to him.
I just hit the Buy It Now button when I bought mine. I thought about a lower offer but said what the heck......
Mine arrived today and I'll rig it up tomorrow to see how it sounds.

BTW, there's a YouTube video with the BigBoy horn. It's definitely a Ricer horn and No truck horn....

I thought about hooking them up to the factory horn wiring but I have a tendancy to accidentally press the panic button on my key and it is really sensitive. I'll end up giving myself a heart attack like that so I'm gonna just wire a good heavy duty horn switch just for this. As long as I like the sound that is...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM

is this the horn?

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm
Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM

I don't think so, that ones only 118db
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM

wondering what the one zilla is getting sounds like. the dude never sent the sound.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
wondering what the one zilla is getting sounds like. the dude never sent the sound.
PM Dodgezilla, he has a soundclip of it.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 PM

just keeping my eye on this thread, curious also.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
The one Dodgezilla bought actually has 2 horns together.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 AM

Correct.
Purduepurdy, you have e-mail. The soundclip sounds exactly like an airhorn. I just hope it's as loud as it sounds. It is two horns together and one of them has a mini compressor attached to it. It looks like a well built piece. The horns are very similar to stock horns in design so finding a good mounting point should be easy. You just have to mount it so the bigger horn is pointing down to the ground...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:36 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cummulator
trainhornkits.com, 176 db train horn, get there heavy duty compressor, and grunion fabrications has a nice selection of tanks.
Yeah, but how much?

I'd like to just get the horns and some plumbing, wonder if anyone sells a kit like that?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM

Well, I did a quick hookup this morning and compared the train horn to the stock one. First off, the train horn sounds exactly like a real train horn. They did a really good job of copying that. The horn is loud but not nearly as loud as a real train horn though. I would say that it is almost 1.5 times as loud as the stock horn. For me that is perfect even though I thought it might be louder. With it at this sound level I think I may just go ahead and disconnect the stock horn and plug this one in instead. Once I'm done this weekend I will try and get a soundclip of it for you guys.
It really does sound good but the sound level is what will make it or break it for anyone wanting a whole lot of sound. If you are wanting to scare people then you may want to get real train horns.....
More to come.....
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Hey Dodgezilla, did you test out the horn with a piece of heavy wire directly to the battery? If not, try that out. I've done a number of installations of horns in motorcycles (you think our truck horns are wimpy, Honda puts the same horn in everything they make from mopeds to Goldwings) I can't explain why as I'm not electrical engineer but horns are louder when installed with heavy guage wiring and a relay.

Everyone, is more better? These "train horns" are just a couple stebel's paired up. What would four of them sound like? You can get Stebel #613B 139db 530/680 Hz dual note horns on eBay for $24.95 each I wonder what four of these puppies (with HEAVY wiring) yipping at the same time would sound like...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 AM

I hooked them up directly to the battery but I only have 16 guage wiring right now. I am getting some 10 guage wiring and will also use the supplied relay. The relay actually makes it louder? Hmmm. And that's a great idea to just add a couple more horns to this. I bet that would be crazy loud. This setup does sound great. I don't want anyone to think it doesn't. I just think some of us are a bit and are wanting something that is ridiculously loud. If that's the case then real airhorns are maybe the way to go for you....

As I said, I will try and get a sound clip once installed.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM

The relay itself does not make a horn louder it only allows you to turn on a circuit when another circuit is completed. Wiring a horn circuit with heavy wire is what I've found that will allow a horn to reach it's full potential. The relay is just a way to use your existing horn circuit to activate your new heavy gauge horn circuit. The relay is just acting as the switch.

Keep in mind that my experience is with Honda motorcycles. I bet (hope) that Dodge uses a little heavier guage wiring than what's running through my motorcycle handlebar.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 AM

I will let you know how it works out.....

Quick Reply: Cheap Train Horns for us tightwads...