3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Chase regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chase regrets?

Any of you Kore Chase owners wish you would have forked out the extra dough for the Race system or Carli's set up? I have heard nothing but positive about the Chase system, but I would like a 2.5" shock setup. Having a hard time justifying though.
Truck is a daily driver. I take it to the desert, but for now, only as transportation for bikes and quads. Looking forward to being able to run it off road too.
Is there a difference in performance between a 2" and 2.5" shock at moderate off roading? Or does the larger shock just remain cooler under extended punishment allowing for that performance to continue past the point where smaller shock would begin to lose ability to perform?
Thanks for your input.
Rick
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM

If you don't already understand how a shock works, start here: http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/...luidPowerAcces -- It's for machinery but it gives you an idea of what the shock is actually doing. Forget the fact they are discussing twin-tube shocks... it's still pretty good reading.

For slow off-road use a 2.0 shock is sufficient. For high speed off-road use it won't be. If it were, the top dogs in off-road racing would not be running 3.0" and larger shocks. Keeping the shocks cool on a desert racer has always been a big problem. In the past racers would just keep adding shocks until they could survive a race and not fail. These days the number of shocks has been reduced but the overall piston area has been greatly increased. A fullsize truck equipped with a solid front axle and 37" tires at each end will need more damping than what a 2.0" can provide. Sure, the 2.0 can be valved to work properly for a few minutes, but it will quickly overheat and will become almost useless during extended use. I've got some custom built 2.5 Fox shocks and a Carli kit... After running around San Felipe I was able to get the shocks very warm... not spit sizzling hot, but warm enough that I didn't want to touch them with bare hands. I forgot the heat gun and I don't run any temp strips on these shocks but I might consider doing so once I start tinkering with the valving. Had I been running a 2.0 I can almost guarantee that it would've roasted the shocks. The Fox 2.5 has a HUGE reservoir (compare the Fox to other shock companies and you'll see what I mean) and even with the larger surface area (better cooling) and the amount of fluid the shocks hold I was able to get them pretty warm. And I wasn't driving the truck nearly as fast as I could've been.

In a nutshell... I don't know how you plan on driving your truck, but my experience with the Fox 2.5 tells me there's no way a 2.0 would be sufficient for my use.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 PM

I went with the Lorenz setup. You can pick the individual parts to suite your needs.

That said, I have the 2.5's. The price difference between Seans kit and the others allowed me to go bigger for less $$$$$.

I think you have losts of options in the suspension world now for these trucks.

Pictures in gallery.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Aloha- thanks for the example you provided. I was thinking along the same lines when it comes to difference in performance. I understand why race trucks run 3" shocks. I wanted to know if I could get the same ride from a 2" shock if driven for a shorter duration. Sounds like I can. But, from what you say, the duration would only be minutes. That would not be worth the savings in my book. If the duration was longer, then 2" shocks would probably be fine. Most of my off roading would probably be moderate with bursts of heavy wheeling. I want to know for sure that my suspension is up to it.
Nriver-My brother had race runners on his Tacoma. After changing them out for Kings he noticed a huge improvement. I'd like to go with Kings or Fox.
Thanks.
Anyone else with info would be appreciated.
Rick
Old 03-25-2006, 06:12 PM

sean will get you kings if you want. You can also just get his shock towers and build the rest your self. just call up any shock manufacturer and tell them what you want and they will custom valve the shocks for you.

the reason he uses swayaways is they fit the truck better. you get the full suspension travel. they do not need to be limited by longer bump stops....

There were many threads on this.

but at the end of the day, get what will make you happy.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks nriver.
Aloha- Did you get the Fox shocks from Sage? I thought he only used the Kings. I take it you prefer the Fox's over the Kings. Why? Is the resivour larger?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:11 PM

I don't really want to spell out exactly why I run Fox shocks on my trucks, or where I get them. I do think that the oversize reservoir Fox uses is a good thing. I've also got Fox air bumps that really make a huge difference when the whoops or holes get big... and yes, Carli usually does use a King shock. Call Carli Suspension, they are working on alternative shock packages for use with their kits.

Aloha
Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM

what a great thread...I wish there was more discussion on it. I'm curious for those who have carli and 37's...how do 37's handle for a daily driver. I've heard they're not very fun to tow with and that the 35's are much more manageable.

04 SO CA...what did you end up doing???
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by icrider
what a great thread...I wish there was more discussion on it. I'm curious for those who have carli and 37's...how do 37's handle for a daily driver. I've heard they're not very fun to tow with and that the 35's are much more manageable.

04 SO CA...what did you end up doing???
This may be completely out of the ballpark because I have a 2nd gen, but......

My suspension is pretty close to what Sage runs as far as springs and shocks. My spring rate is within 30-40lbs/in and my shocks are valved pretty close to what Sage valves his at.

I have no problem with 37's on my daily driver.....but then again I've run them for so long I can't remember what they'd compare to. Right now it rides closer to "Cadillac" than it ever has. Waiting to get Sage to set up my hydro bumps before I take it to Outlet Center for some final torture testing.

So far I haven't had any problems with towing, but I'm fixin' to go with a different tire and I'm still playing with the rear suspension, so that might change.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM

what tire are you thinking of going with. I've heard parnelli jones or goodyear MTR for 37's. for 35's toyo seems to have nothing but positive remarks from owners.

I like the look of 37's better, but I feel for a daily driver or towing 35's are so much more manageable.

but then again, what I 'feel' isn't necessarily true.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by icrider
what tire are you thinking of going with. I've heard parnelli jones or goodyear MTR for 37's. for 35's toyo seems to have nothing but positive remarks from owners.

I like the look of 37's better, but I feel for a daily driver or towing 35's are so much more manageable.

but then again, what I 'feel' isn't necessarily true.
Got a line on a smokin' deal on Cooper STT's....they're range D, but they're good for 3500lbs each.

Guess we'll see........
Old 05-14-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Got a line on a smokin' deal on Cooper STT's....they're range D, but they're good for 3500lbs each.

Guess we'll see........
Where at, and how much? I like the Cooper STT's and may get some if I can't locate the Toyo M/T locally.