3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Charateristics of a II Silver Bullet??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charateristics of a II Silver Bullet??

i ordered a silver bullet, but i have been told by a friend that the lag is going to be rediculous. Now im kind of worried about it, can anyone tell me with true expierence of how the turbo acts?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Its not rediculous.

Try a Search, you will get alot more info that way then this thread.

People get tired of typing the same thing week after week.

Goodluck
Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Billm2004
i ordered a silver bullet, but i have been told by a friend that the lag is going to be rediculous. Now im kind of worried about it, can anyone tell me with true expierence of how the turbo acts?

From what I've experienced over the last 1.5 years I've had mine, temperature plays some role in how the turbo spools. I posted a vid a while back, something along the lines of silver bullet spool. Altitude affects how my turbo will spool more than anything. When I go to tahoe which is probably 6-7000 ft, I hate the way it lags. Lots of smoke too. If I lived at that altitude I wouldn't even consider a big single. At sea level where I live, I couldnt be happier with my choice.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

I live at 4500ft and think the SB spools believability well. The 74mm wheel makes all the difference from other turbos.

For the size of the 66 I've experienced very little lag unless I'm running a heavy fueling program. It's a very streetable turbo IMO but, it may take you a few tries getting everything tuned right. It helps to have the injectors, fuel, air..etc. matched closely as you can.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billm2004
Get some 90+hp sticks and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM

I run the Silver bullet 66 with my existing mods stock sticks and cp3 and I have zero problems lighting the turbo.

Nick.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Im getting one frome Timinva tomorrow, and was wondering the same thing.
Jlibert, since your the only one with a manual, is it pretty easy to drive around the lag, do you have to keep rpms up quite a bit more than you did with the stocker, and did you notice any MPG changes?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
Jlibert, since your the only one with a manual, is it pretty easy to drive around the lag, do you have to keep rpms up quite a bit more than you did with the stocker, and did you notice any MPG changes?
Hey hold on! He's not the only one with a SB on a manual! I have one too. I like mine, and to be honest I don't really notice a whole lot of difference between it and the stock charger under light acceleration. I drive pretty conservatively most of the time, kinda slow to get going and usually never past 55-60 on the interstate. During normal acceleration is where I see a negligible difference, at least IMO. When I get on it a little harder not flooring it I can tell a difference. There is little if any difference for me as far as mpg. I am still getting low to mid 20's, and have seen almost 25 solid the past couple of weeks....but I'm sure it's because I pulled the front driveshaft because of a worn CV joint that I have yet to get repaired.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM

I ment guys who had posted on this thread, but thanks for the info. I drive alot like you so Im not to worried about it. What kind of boost pressures do you run? I cant remember if there gated at 45 or not.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM

I ment guys who had posted on this thread, but thanks for the info. I drive alot like you so Im not to worried about it. What kind of boost pressures do you run? I cant remember if there gated at 45 or not.
Ah, I see! Mine sees 55 psi.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Is that with stock head studs?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM

When I first installed the Silver bullet, It felt like I lost 100hp. Probably because the turbo was still really tight, and the tuning the bullet needed was quite a bit different than what worked for the stock turbo. After some changes to the TST and getting used to shifting at slightly higher rpm's, I got used to the turbo. Once the smarty was added, the low end power was back stronger than ever. Switching to the Beta smarty helped control smoke vs. the old wild tuning. My mileage remained the same before/after the turbo install. The only thing that has hurt my mileage was injectors (-1 mpg). The only thing that has helped mileage was the smarty (+1.5 mpg). Overall, on a long trip I can average 19mpg.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Im guessing that when you guys are saying you cant really tell that much of a difference during moderate driving, but you can when you get on it, that maybe theres more lag than stock when you mash it and then it lights; am I correct in this assumption? Is it from an overabundance of fuel? Im looking at a SB in the spring, along with tranny. How would it light with 150-200 injectors and Smarty, with maybe some pressure on it too?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 PM

You can't expect a large single turbo to spool as fast as the smaller stock turbo. What the Silver will give you is large turbo performance with close to stock spool up with the right fueling combo. Also, you wouldn't need more than a set of 50-90 HP sticks to light one, that is if you need sticks at all. The stock ones will light a SB just fine with the right program.

My silver 62 spools deadly fast and flows a lot more air than the stock turbo. I run Smarty 4.4 on lvl 5 for everyday driving and it works great to spool the turbo and to keep the smoke down.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Is that with stock head studs?
Yep, stock.