3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Chalk me up for another failed RP gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new harnesses are all plugs,no wire tapping.Are any of you guys running modded cp-3's with the DiPricol RP gauge?Maybe I just have a screwed up gauge cause I can't keep mine reading right even with the inline hooby thing they sent me.Might be time to call Dipricol again!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure seems pretty accurate the way it dances so quickly.

$250 may seem pricey for one gauge, but if you're going to be hot rodding a CR, I contend a rail pressure gauge is a NECESSITY, and what are your other options?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
I just checked to see is Westach makes one, no luck (at least on Geno's site). I wonder how much the DiPricol matches the Westach.

The DiPricol matches almost exactly to the Dodge, but the Westach does not. The white Westach face is illuminated from the side with black numbers and a solid needle, whereas the DiPricol is backlit with a glowing needle. Westach gauges' needles pivot on the side or bottom, where the DiPricol gauges pivot in the center.

Westach:

Isspro (similar to DiPricol):

And don't forget your other option. A SPA digital rail pressure/fuel pressure gauge. Very nice. I had one in my '03:

Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much does the spa run?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanx Leary. That SPA is my favorite by far, but I think it is $350.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

can't STAND digital gauges... PITA to read at a glance
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM

IIRC I paid about $230 or so for the SPA. Pretty nice gauge! It comes with a transducer for the low pressure side, but you do have to tap for the rail pressure signal. I tapped into my MP-8 harness so as to not disturb the factory wiring. I have a jumper already made for the '07 in anticipation of buying a Commander, but since Quad abandoned the low-pressure fuel senders, I have no interest. I guess I'll go with a full setup from another company when the time comes...

I believe the only way to get the SPA is to order direct from SPA. I don't think anyone stocks them any more...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Question

Originally Posted by JCLeary
The DiPricol matches almost exactly to the Dodge, but the Westach does not. The white Westach face is illuminated from the side with black numbers and a solid needle, whereas the DiPricol is backlit with a glowing needle. Westach gauges' needles pivot on the side or bottom, where the DiPricol gauges pivot in the center.

Westach:

Isspro (similar to DiPricol):

And don't forget your other option. A SPA digital rail pressure/fuel pressure gauge. Very nice. I had one in my '03:

Where did you get that nice steering column gauge pod and did you have to paint it??
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM

I know you guys hate digital, though I don't find them one bit hard to read at a glance. I have had all my SPA's for 2yr or more, never one problem. They are the fastest to respond, store max values, and you don't need any isolaters for the pressure guages. Obviously the rail gauge is reading from the factory transducer, not its own transducer.

It's all in the eye of the beholder but I love the SPA's. Two parameters per gauge. And I don't believe for one second that the Westach with boost and egt on the same gauge is any easier to read than an SPA with two digital readouts. It's funny the diesel guys have never warmed up to SPA or any other digital gauge, though the race car guys seem to like em just fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

I like the gauges to look factory. every race car I know has analog gauges in it
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM

The gauge pod is an Autometer part. I got the pod and the Mopar trim paint from Geno's Garage. I also got the Mopar A-pillar from them, which is already color-matched.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by rmalone
I know you guys hate digital, though I don't find them one bit hard to read at a glance. I have had all my SPA's for 2yr or more, never one problem. They are the fastest to respond, store max values, and you don't need any isolaters for the pressure guages. Obviously the rail gauge is reading from the factory transducer, not its own transducer.

It's all in the eye of the beholder but I love the SPA's. Two parameters per gauge. And I don't believe for one second that the Westach with boost and egt on the same gauge is any easier to read than an SPA with two digital readouts. It's funny the diesel guys have never warmed up to SPA or any other digital gauge, though the race car guys seem to like em just fine.
I like the SPA, but for me it was a challenge to read all the values during a dyno run. Sometimes it's easier to glance at a needle to see its position. Sometimes a dip in fuel or rail pressure is easier to spot when a needle twitches, as opposed to studying digits. They are lightning-fast to respond for sure. You can also set averaging values so you can read the values more easily. Six gauges in three holes is nice, too.

Now, if the SPA could replay, say the last 15 seconds of data in slow motion? That would make them the definite choice for me. Data logging. MMMmmm, sweet. Could learn a lot from that...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM

Isspro's Performax lineup... I love the new setup. and the same 3 wires run all the gauges!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
Isspro's Performax lineup... I love the new setup. and the same 3 wires run all the gauges!
Pics PLEASE!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM

I agree 15 seconds worth of replay would be the cats petute. Come to think of it the ability to synch rp, boost and egt over a 15 second span would be even better. Better yet, synch all those with the dyno and you could really see what is going on. Ok I'm done wishing!!

Quick Reply: Chalk me up for another failed RP gauge