3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

CB kills truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the antenna located?
You are getting RF into the box.
Is the box in a metal or plastic case?
If plastic, then I agree with Shovelhead. Wrap it in foil and ground it.
You may even have to put a grounded shield on the wires running to the box.
If box is metal, make sure it's grounded.
If the antenna is near the box, you may have to relocate it.
Also, the manufactuer of the box may be able to help you with some by-pass filters.
Good luck
Old 05-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A high drive dave made amp? I think 120 amps is possible with the really big 1000+ watt boxes. You meant the box takes 50-100 watts to drive it? What radio are you using or are you using 2 amps?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Miles PH
The amp has not been on eyt gust the raido granted it's a high drive raido it's 50-100wts whith 1 to 1 SWR and yes heavy wire leeds to batt. As shevalhead said wrapping the fuiling/timeing box and leads will help. I thank I will try that.
He is saying that he hasn't even used the amp yet... I think. It looks like he's had a few too many brewskies though
Old 05-16-2004, 06:43 PM

NJoverkill I know hard for NJens to comprehend the CB raido puts out 50-100wts.The amp HAS not been needed yet I have not been north To NJ in couple of months Ray Roton the willson 5000 is mag mount is't sqare on roof the cb is a presadent Jackson I allso have Galxy export. And I thank You Ray
Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
As others have stated, this is probably a RF problem. For many years I have run a 100 watt ham radio in cars with only 50 amp alternators with no problem. No way that a 100 watt radio can kill the alternator on your Cummins. I presently run a 2000 watt invertor on my truck and the other day was using it at a high enough load to blow the 100 amp fuse I installed in the B+ line from the battery. Even that did not even cause the engine to stumble.
The others have given you good advice. Let us know what the fix is.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 AM

MilesPH, If you haven't done this try it. I ran hot wire to hot side of bat. and neg. wire to neg. side of bat. with inline fuse. Went to Ace hardware bought some big looped wire connectors to go on wire to hookup to battery. Antenna is a 60" inch opencoil design 12' long shielded coaxial wire. Excess wire is in a lazy S shape not coiled up like some people do if coiled that can cause the SWR's to be off alot. Attach SWR meter to it and adjust either by cutting end tip of antenna or raising or lowering antenna or if it is an adjustable antenna tip adjust it that way. You want SWR's to the lowest you can get.

Sittenbull
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 AM

Couple of things I wanted to point out, Miles. As many suggest, and I agree, you're getting RF into the truck's computer(s). You have to be very careful because this is not a harmless event. Use care, because great damage can be done to the vehicle's onboard circuitry and/or components from stray RF. Secondly, boosting your rig's output power from the legal 4 watts to 100 watts is providing about 2 additional "S" units. Hardly anything I'd risk my vehicles computer systems over. If you were going to ...say...2kW. Then you would see a vast difference in your signal strength. But 100 watts? Barely a difference over the stock radio.

[edit] As I understand it now after rereading the thread, this appears to be a modified amateur transceiver, and not an external amplifier?

I have tride taping sraight to battery and still stalls. I thank it is to much power from the cb/ ham raido.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Commatoze
[edit] As I understand it now after rereading the thread, this appears to be a modified amateur transceiver, and not an external amplifier?
I am running a modified Galaxy tranciever, no external amp, and haven't had a problem.

No idea what my power output is though.
Couple people have told my I peg their meters when I key the mike though

Where are you bringing the coax from the antenna in at?
Where do you have the excess coax coiled or looped up at?

I have my excess coax in the engine compartment, loosly "S"d on top of each fender,
coming in the unused clutch grommet,
along the top edge of the carpet to the middle hump,
then straight alongside the 4x4 shifter to the CB.

No RF problems at all.
Only thing I'm kinda weary of is the airbag sensors located on the middle hump, back under the dashboard.
I think I'm far enough away from it though.

phox
Old 07-12-2004, 06:35 PM

Thank All of you but as I said the problem is with the timing fueling Box not the amp to the CB. I thank y'all unplugging the box fixed it no problems now. But no box no extra HP.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:58 AM

is your box and amp grounded to the same spot? try it, may be a ground loop inducing effect. I'm like the others thinking it may be RF problem. If the box is not grounded well it may be allowing additional RF generation so besides the other advice given to you make sure both are grounded to the same spot (use a jumper if ness) to eliminate any ground loop noise. Good luck