3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

CB kills truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CB kills truck

Evrey time I key up the mike it kills the truck? And yes I have box in line. What can we do to allieviate this problem?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:57 AM

What's the power source for the radio? My first thought is to change it.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:09 AM

I have tride taping sraight to battery and still stalls. I thank it is to much power from the cb/ ham raido.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 AM

That must be one big radio to stall a 600 ft/lb engine.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:26 AM

It didnt happen untill the power/fulling box was put in line. If I unplug the box its runs fine .
Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check to be sure the Radio & Antenna coax are both properly grounded and not run close to the truck's wiring harness.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:51 AM

I would double check all of your connections and make sure they are secure. Go out and pick up some crimp connectors that will bolt securely to your battery posts. Making a connection with just tape is asking for trouble. I would also make sure that the power connection for your fueling box is secure too. Like bulabula said, it still might not be a bad idea to relocate the power source of the CB if the problem persists. They don't draw nearly enough current to cause a problem like you are stating. It almost has to be a wiring issue.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Miles PH
It didnt happen untill the box was put in line. If I unplug the box its runs fine .
Are you referring to a performance box? I'm wondering if the box is sensitive to EMI. Might want to contact the box maker and talked to them about RF shielding.

MikeyB
Old 05-16-2004, 07:07 AM

MikeyB I thank u have it RF problem. I will try shilding all the wires from the box and the box too thanks. Miles PH
Old 05-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Try wrapping the "performance-box" in tin-foil and grounding it to see if it helps.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:21 AM

Check your SWR ... it sounds to me as if the RF is interfering with the on board computer or fuel solinoid. If this is the case you may have to addjust SWR to get more of the signal out of the truck or relocate the antenna, cable or radio itself. Also check that the radios chassis is grounded.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:24 AM

The key word is "dave made" It's a linear amp for the CB. Question is how much power does it draw?

It is possible that it draws more amperage than your alternator puts out but...
We don't have any spark plugs to fire so even if the alternator broke, our trucks might run for a little while (at least should run longer than a gasser) just on the 2 batteries.

HMM.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the power draw is high enough the voltage drop will make the computer act pretty crazy. You need a "cap" inline with the power leads. They are used by people with huge stereos to help the electrical system keep up with the power needed by the amps. The "cap" or capacitor stores power to cushion the amperage peaks on the battery. How much wattage are we talking here? What is your swr when the box is on? Is everything grounded to the frame? You may need to switch to a large open coil antenna like a "monkey made" or something similar to get the coil up and away from the roof. If none of these thing cure your problem, you are just going to have to back the power down. Remember, being very close to a powerful transmitting antenna is not good for you either.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:28 PM

Unless he is using jumper cables to power his amp there is no way he could pull 120amps with out burning up wires or fuses.
The problem has to be in RF interfering with engine electronics.
Be sure your antenna cables are 100% sheilded and not the normal crap you get from Radio Sh???? Tight bends and pinches will also cause this problem.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:13 PM

The amp has not been on eyt gust the raido granted it's a high drive raido it's 50-100wts whith 1 to 1 SWR and yes heavy wire leeds to batt. As shevalhead said wrapping the fuiling/timeing box and leads will help. I thank I will try that.

Quick Reply: CB kills truck