3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cat converter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat converter question

Hey guys,

I know this is a beat over subject, but the more i search, the more I find that everyone has a different oppinion. I understand that some guys think removing it makes the truck sound bad, some love the sound. But here is my question and reason for it:

My co-worker took the cat converter off his '05 PSjoke and put a straight pipe, and said his turbo would spool quicker (now full 4" for him). Then he got scared the PSD would blow up, so he took all his mods off, and the dealership told him to put the cat back on. He wanted full 4", so he got a CTD cat. Said his turbo lag went back to where it was with the stock cat, and said truck EGTs were hotter and basically said was just like the ford cat. He then gutted the 4" CTD cat and says truck is all good now.

If I were to remove, or "gut" my converter, other then the sound that some ppl. love and some hate, would my turbo spool quicker? How about the EGTs? And do mods work better with no cat, or, is it only a marginal difference. I'm not looking to remove it, unless I get a clear gain in some area other then sound.

Thanks,

Igor.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This is not a beat over subject, but one that comes up repeatedly, and gets moved off line.

Please do not post threads about removing/disabling EPA regulated smog equipment on our forums.
Specifically Cat Converters and EGR systems.

The Management