3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Carli suspension report

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
Honestly, I do have an idea about these situations. I may not have been on the same roads you have driven on daily, but i have been on some severely beat up roads. And these roads have been in Mexico for that matter. Some of which were through some towns that we pre ran for the Baja 1000. If these speed bumps that you're obviously hitting far far to fast are the problem, then slow down.

I'm not mouthing off. I'm just saying that your expectations of this suspension system are unrealistic. Sage Carli and his team have gone to great lengths of research and developement to make a great off road suspension for an 8000 pound truck. And these systems work extremely well. Just because your kidneys are being bounced around from going far far to fast for the roads you are on doesnt mean that the suspension system has been poorly designed or that the manufacturer isnt listening to your feedback. We're not trying to flame you. We're trying to tell you that your truck probably rides a ton better than mine does and that it realistically is as good as the ride is gonna get for an 8000 pound truck.
Big sigh. Too fast???? Since when does 10 mph and slower equate to being too fast? Once again, these roads are not beat up.
I have already stated that the truck rides better and that I acknowledge that I know that the ride is as good as it is going to get. Nowhere have I ever stated that their system is poorly designed, because it is not. It is well engineered.
Before I purchased this system I explained in detail to Carli about my road conditions and expressed my reservations that their system would work on such a varied road surface. They persuaded me that they have experience in Mexico and not to worry, so in spite of my doubts I bought what they recommended. I bit, bought and now have to suffer the consequences. End of story.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No..................the end of the story is those shocks that you Bad mouthed are now on a truck in the Sonoran desert in Mexico.They replaced some fox 2" and the owner is very happy with the huge improvement

Bob
Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mexstan are your for-real? Did you not say

"I am quite capable of doing any rework myself, but not sure if I want to start revalving new shocks.
One thing I did discover from Carli was the nitrogen pressure requirements. I experimented with different pressures and did not find any real difference in ride comfort. Right now I have them pressurized to their recommended 200 psi. In case anyone asks, this was set using a closed system and a calibrated gauge and I did it myself. The nitrogen was a story in itself. Nitrogen is readily available, but nobody has any over 120 psi. I had to borrow a cylinder and gauge, take it home and do it myself. Fortunately in my toolbox I had the equipment to make up a closed system."

AND THEN YOU SAID

"Where on earth did you read that I have the equipment and knowledge to re-valve the shocks? I have never said that."

This has turned into a comedy.

By the way I do have a drivers license and do take my truck off road. And by golly my suspension cycles fully also. I can also curb hop with the best of them. I do not need to drive on your roads to understand anything. You keep hiding behind the road conditions as being special to you and your routs and as a result of your special conditions no one else knows your trifles in life. So as to keep my opinions to myself, well that is just too bad. You come to a public forum and spew BS and then tell others they do not have a right to their opinions. You have made better than thou pompous adolescent jerk comments. As to the judging you part. Well we all must judge things we encounter for a variety of reasons. I gathered the information on this thread because I also am skeptical about suspension performance in these large truck and desired input. I was looking for technical input but as I gathered the information it became apparent that much of it was misinformation. I had to judge for myself what was valid. The misinformation kept coming. That forced me into further judging of the validity of anything you wrote. So yes I judged you and I am glad I did.

Damon
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Banned

I see where the guy is comming from. The road from town in Bay of LA to the "American" side is rougher than ****. You have to drive that road fast, or else its gonna be rougher than ****.
With that being said........you take that truck on a road that has bumps space more than 3 inches apart and it will ride super nice.
I wouldnt trade my Thuren suspension for anything.........well maybe the 2.65 kit that Carli offers. Gotta ride in one of those rigs first tho.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 AM

i have carly parts (dominator 3.0) and i grin from ear to ear every time i hit the ditch @75mph and launch onto the access road to my shop. 100 time beter than kore
Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Banned

i have carly parts (dominator 3.0) and i grin from ear to ear every time i hit the ditch @75mph and launch onto the access road to my shop. 100 time beter than kore
PICS!!!!!

--Eric
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Hey Eric!

How do you like the 2.65? The resi looks kinda big, how does it fit?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the 2.65 system out yet? As of a couple of months ago it wasn't ready yet. I really wanted that system, but went with the 2.5 Performance because I couldn't stand waiting any longer. By the way, I love my 2.5 system. Way, way over kill for my needs, but so are the tires and exhaust that I have on my truck! I'd just rather be safe than sorry! I try to get the parts I need and the service I want done performed correctly all done the first time so I don't have to change things out later.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey enafzige (Eric), by the way, how do like those Carli airbags? Don't mean to jack the thread, but have been thinking of getting those myself. I haven't heard a lot about them, and would like to know how they worked out for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Hey Eric!

How do you like the 2.65? The resi looks kinda big, how does it fit?
Well, actually, I've just got mine zip-tied and hose-clamped right now. I need to order the reservoir mounts, but have been out of state at a funeral this week.

Yes, the kit is out. I guess I got mine put on about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3. The only pics I have are low-res cell phone, but here's a couple until I can do a better write-up.

The shocks definately have ALOT more valving in them than the OEM. Ride on the street is good, controlled, and a little on the firm side. Open things up offroad, and things really begin to shine. I've not pushed them extensively yet, but I've hit some 2' whoops at 40 mph or so. The shocks never bottomed, and the ride is AMAZING!

I did hit a 15 mph railroad crossing hump at about 55 - 60 mph though! I cleared both sets of tracks and landed on the other side of the hump...you talk about smooth! The two other guys in the truck couldn't believe it! The shocks never bottomed, and I was in perfect control of the truck.

The Carli LT bags are a must have for me. Here's a pic 2 weeks ago moving my little brother...I only had about 40 psi in the bags here.

I just need to finish the onboard air install so I can give the bicycle pump a break!

--Eric