3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Carli suspension report

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whoops
Because it's a forum and I can throw back my opinion.?.?.?.?
No, for suggesting he might be a pain in the butt customer......remember?
Maybe you were one of those complaining, pain in the butt customers. Sometimes the company has to say "screw him" as a customer.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtEater
No, for suggesting he might be a pain in the butt customer......remember?
Maybe you were one of those complaining, pain in the butt customers. Sometimes the company has to say "screw him" as a customer.
Your point? Your throwing this thread off topic........
Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
As so many of you know from your jiggled kidneys and sundry other body parts, our trucks are not exactly renowned for their comfort level on rough roads. I daily travel on concrete roads and that is probably the worst ride condition. In fact, when it is known that I am going on those roads many of my passengers refuse to ride with me as it is so uncomfortable. Some of the other roads, even the paved ones in my area are very uncomfortable with my truck.

In desperation I researched different modifications to the suspension. I had pretty well settled on throwing out all four springs and going to a full Kelderman suspension when I heard about Carli and had chats with them. They persuaded me that by changing all four springs and all four shocks to their “special” springs that my truck would ride nicely on my rough roads and was the best solution. They prefer that the modification be done in one of their approved shops, but the closest one to me is north of Houston, so that was not an option. However, I did call them and ask for a quote, but they told me that they did not send out quotes by email and in fact were quite rude and bery unbusinesslike. That should have alerted me to my coming problems. Carli agreed that it would be OK to have the installation done at a closer shop in Texas that I selected and that they would call the shop just before the job was done and provide full instructions.

I would have preferred to do the job myself but that would have meant bringing the full kit across the border and I was not prepared to get into a fight with the Mexican customs and end up paying about a 30% duty. Figured the duty would be close to paying to have it done by somebody else.

I have been riding in my Carli modified truck now for over two months and have to report that while the ride is minimally improved on some road conditions, the slight improvement in the ride is NOT worth the expense. Driving on concrete roads still rattles my kidneys and teeth. Still no passengers as they still find the ride too uncomfortable, especially in the rear seat. In desperation I have now installed air suspension seats in the front and now the ride is passable, but not near what I was expecting from the Carli modifications. Air seats on top of the Carli suspension should not have been necessary if the ride was what they led me to believe. Carli never did call the shop that did the change over, and in fact, we had to call them halfway through the job to resolve a problem. The ride feels as though the rear springs should be about 50% less stiff.

Communications with Carli about my rough ride problem have not been satisfactory as they tend to blame the installation for the rough ride. They have totally ignored some of my questions, including asking them to be specific about what part of the installation could result in the bad ride I have now. They did offer to take a look at my truck if I brought it to them in California. That is a three day ride one way for me, so is not very practical. Twice I suggested to them that for R & D purposes they send someone to me to check out the truck and the actual situation I am complaining about. In fact, I even offered to pay some of the expenses. They have ignored this just like they have ignored my other questions.

In short, I am bitterly disappointed with Carli, the resulting rough ride and the lack of decent after sales service. Ignoring a customers concerns is no way to resolve problems. In no way can I recommend this company or their product to anyone. I acknowledge our trucks are heavy duty trucks and sure ride like a heavy duty truck, but was hoping that the full Carli modification would make it ride less like a heavy duty truck. Boy, was I wrong! I have wasted my money and in retrospect, should have gone with the Kelderman.
Caveat emptor!

Sounds like you better drop the tire pressure down to 25lbs front and 20lbs rear and throw a few tools in the bed and get the weight up on the rear axel to about 600lbs.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Let me put my ride problem in another perspective. Sometimes a friend of my wife rides with me and she is um , er, shall we say, rather well endowed. When I drive on the concrete roads she has to cross her arms firmly to prevent said endowment from shaking (jiggling) around too uncomfortably.
BTW, I have never mentioned the expansion joints on the roads as a problem, because they do not cause a problem here, even on the older roads.
Some of the newer concrete roads here in Mexico are amoung the nicest roads I have driven on anywhere in world. It is the older concrete roads and the cobblestone roads that are causing a problem.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Banned

Mexstan- It not the Carli System, so to speak w/ your ride. It more the shock valving that needs to be tweaked to cater those cobblestone roads, etc... Are you able to valve them yourself (access to oil & nitrogen)? if so, then Carli can send you some shims that can change up the shock valving or take your truck to the shop that installed your system. They should be able to valve shocks, I hope... The expansion joints on the freeway act similiar to what you experience. The jiggle effect and valving the rear shocks can minimize it. You will always feel some because of the unsprung wieght penalty our trucks have.

The valving in each Carli System (minus the Starter System w/ 5100 Bilstiens) are R&D to have a in-between valving to ride on road and off road w/ minimal compromise. Depending on the truck owner needs. They will have to be re-valved to your specs. Most people this OK, but some use thier truck more on road and little off road. So, some minor tweaking the valving to accomadate. Call Carli Suspension and ask for Sage (the owner) and let him know exactly what you described in the first post of your driving terrian. I will bet he will set you up right and make it right. The Bilstien 7100 is a good riding shock.

My truck is set up for more on road ride w/ the valving and will still do good off road, but too fast hitting whoops and such. My rear end will buck and I know my limitation going in speed off road before it happens. I can have it valved to handle off road fast w/ rough terrian, but will lose alot of my on road ride comfort. A lot you can do w/ valving a shock and that gives the majority of your ride (along w/ rear leafs).
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Let me put my ride problem in another perspective. Sometimes a friend of my wife rides with me and she is um , er, shall we say, rather well endowed. When I drive on the concrete roads she has to cross her arms firmly to prevent said endowment from shaking (jiggling) around too uncomfortably.
BTW, I have never mentioned the expansion joints on the roads as a problem, because they do not cause a problem here, even on the older roads.
Some of the newer concrete roads here in Mexico are amoung the nicest roads I have driven on anywhere in world. It is the older concrete roads and the cobblestone roads that are causing a problem.
This is a crock. You want to drive on washboard roads (cobblestone roads) with an empty truck and rock hard tires. You have zero frame of reference operating heavy duty off road trucks.

You should remove the kit right away before your kidneys and teeth fall out.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 AM

I would try less tire pressure, i know you said your at 30 al ready but go 5psi lower...you are battling the unsprung weight problem, and i agree the shock valving could be adjusted for some improvement, but lowering the tire pressure is by far the cheapest solution...if your scared of blowing a bead look into the Staun internal beadlocks, they are very light, and VERY effective, and also pretty costly.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Throw some weight in the back of the truck
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM

I have a feeling that the truck actually rides great for what it is. Thing is, an expectation of what you want beforehand, is way different than reality. These trucks axles are so freaking heavy you CAN NOT make them ever ride like a Toyota SUV on sharp square edge bumps, no matter what you do to the suspension. On top of that, even if you did get the truck to suck up all the road chatter, you then have the weight carrying capacity of a car, and a very top heavy feel when cornering.

Air ride is not going to fix it to what you want either.. It's all in the shocks..

Shock valving can maybe make it a bit better, but then you have other problems that arise..

I suggest putting some weight in the bed, as the shocks are valved expecting that you do carry weight sometimes as it is a heavy duty truck. Have you loaded it up a bit to see what the ride is like?

Ever wonder why the factory manual even suggest adding weight in the bed to get a better ride?

If you never tow heavy I'm sure the rear shocks can be lightened up a bit..
Old 10-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Does the front of the truck ride better than the rear?

I'm curious to know if you have driven these same roads in any vehicle which gave you an exceptable ride. If so what vehicle was impressive to you on these roads? I'm mostly curious if any trucks, with a normal truck bed, unloaded, have even ridden what you would call "non kidney busting" on these same roads..
Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by THURENfab.
Ever wonder why the factory manual even suggest adding weight in the bed to get a better ride?
I have to admit that my truck rides like a heavy duty Cadillac, but throw in 2 dirt bikes and gear in the bed, it's even more plush.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

I have a feeling that the truck actually rides great for what it is. Thing is, an expectation of what you want beforehand, is way different than reality. These trucks axles are so freaking heavy you CAN NOT make them ever ride like a Toyota SUV on sharp square edge bumps, no matter what you do to the suspension. On top of that, even if you did get the truck to suck up all the road chatter, you then have the weight carrying capacity of a car, and a very top heavy feel when cornering.

Air ride is not going to fix it to what you want either.. It's all in the shocks..

Shock valving can maybe make it a bit better, but then you have other problems that arise..

I suggest putting some weight in the bed, as the shocks are valved expecting that you do carry weight sometimes as it is a heavy duty truck. Have you loaded it up a bit to see what the ride is like?

If you never tow heavy I'm sure the rear shocks can be lightened up a bit..
Don, in some ways you are right as the truck does ride quite well for what it is. Right from the beginning I acknowledged that this was and still is a heavy duty truck and that it will never ride like a Caddy or even a Toy. I also acknowledged that it is improved in the ride, but only for some road conditions.
I may yet end up adding some permanent weight in the back as the front seems reasonable. The trick is to keep the weight to the minimum possible and keep it at the rear and not keep sliding forward. Hate to add weight as my acceleration decreases and fuel consumption gets worse.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
The Carli 2.0 system is probably the nicest riding of any on the pavement.If it doesn't work for you perhaps your roads are more of an off road type surface that will demand more damping than the 2.0 is capable of.Your description of what the truck is doing is not clear enough to make a call on.Maybe you should get some one local with some suspension knowledge to drive the truck and give a better explanation of what it is doing.

Bob
These roads are NOT off road surfaces. Concrete roads are inherently rough surfaced and the "ridges" in the surface tend to kick the rear of the truck (and mine too). These kicks are enought to shake ones kidneys a few times every second and get old very fast, particularly when they go on for mile after mile after mile after mi................
The cobblestone roads are not smooth and they have a different type of ride and that is also very uncomfortable.
Get a local to drive my truck???????? What a laugh!!!!! You obviously have not lived in central Mexico, thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Does the front of the truck ride better than the rear?

I'm curious to know if you have driven these same roads in any vehicle which gave you an exceptable ride. If so what vehicle was impressive to you on these roads? I'm mostly curious if any trucks, with a normal truck bed, unloaded, have even ridden what you would call "non kidney busting" on these same roads..
Cars on these roads give nice rides. My Infiniti was really smooth, but we can't compare a car to a truck. The only truck I have driven in on these roads is an unloaded Ford Lobo which is essentially a F150. The ride was quite acceptable and did not have the same kidney jiggling my truck has.
The front of my truck has always ridden better than the rear, both pre and post mod.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:24 PM

I decided to take the advice some of you have given me and call Sage Carli. The only person I can reach is the same individual that decided to ignore my questions, so chose not to even talk to him.
Does anybody have a direct number for Sage, or better still, his personal email address?

Quick Reply: Carli suspension report