3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Carli suspension report

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i think part of the problem is that most of us have not experenced the type of roads he is refering to....we're talking root bumps the size of speedbumps and cracks the size of curbs (or at least the last time i went to puerto escondito)....

my best advise is to trade it in and get a ford, my ex old lady has and 06 with the offroad package (ranchos??) and it seriously floats the narliest roads with ease.... i drove it back to back with my dodge many times in the desert, fire roads mexico and the dunes....it is almost embarrasing how poorly the dodge handles in any type of offroad/high speed situation....i felt like ivan stewart in the ford, and i felt like i was in a 65 power wagon in the dodge.... the dodges are overpowered tow trucks with antiquated suspension designs.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I have new Bilstein shocks supplied and valved by Carli for my specific truck. They even took into consideration the RA bumper weight and winch, so supposedly that base is covered.

Redeyeracer is correct as most of you have zero idea of the roads I drive on. Sure, they look nice and smooth, but they are not. The concrete roads have little ridges about one or two a second and that is what causes the kidney jiggling. Last time I drove on roads similar to this was on highway 90/94 in the north west of the USA. A car is not too bad, but any sort of heavy sprung truck is just plain horrible. How many of you have driven for miles on cobblestone roads? Carli supposedly has experience with this road condition and assured me that their system would rectify that problem. It helped, but some of those roads are still very rough. It is because I do not believe that Carli understands these roads that I offered to pay some of the cost for them to take a R & D trip out here and find out for themselves. For those of you that dumped on me, you dumped wrongly as you jumped to conclusions.

I considered Thuren but he cannot accept a credit card and only takes PayPal. As I refuse to use PayPal, I had to forget about him.

Lastly and once again, right from the beginning I acknowledged that I drive a heavy duty truck. Is it too much to ask that my passengers do not get thrown around and feel very uncomfortable? Carli repeatedly assured me that they could rectify this problem, but failed. Once again, a Caddy this ain't and I ain't agonna expect a Caddy ride. Got it?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My buddy's got Carli's 2.5 Performance setup with long travel airbags. He's running an aluminum flatbed w/a pop up camper mounted. The total rig weighs in excess of 11,000#. On our initial Baja trip,the truck truly handled like a BMW on the highways,and like a marshmallow off road. To my knowledge,Carli's running the softest coils in the business. I rode in a guy's Dodge with a similar setup in Glamis awhile ago and it ruled. Ford's(admittedly with the old stagecoach suspension i.e. leafs) were limping along,beating their owner's to death similar to the Chevy's. Carli's designed systems for the new Ford's too which would probably enhance a much better engineered setup than past years. Now the 6.0 is beyond help to the tune of $550 million dollars in warranty repairs,but that's off topic. Mexstan,when my truck was new and unladen Hwy 94 would indeed make conversation unintelligible.My Lorenz setup even with stiffer valving to accomodate my camper was a major improvement over stock. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
I have new Bilstein shocks supplied and valved by Carli for my specific truck. They even took into consideration the RA bumper weight and winch, so supposedly that base is covered.
Were the shocks shipped directly from Carli or drop-shipped from Bilstein? I guess that's what I was asking. If Carli/Bilstein is anything like Thuren/King then they just call Bilstein and give them the specifics on the valving and then the shocks are shipped from Bilstein to you. That's why I said that the valving could be messed up if they weren't shipped directly from Carli.

I don't really have a clue to the roads you guys on the west coast and Mexico have to deal with because thankfully in the southeast we are graced with a pretty good road system. Most roads are fairly smooth; very few are actually rough. Even the rough ones aren't too bad in a stock 2500 or one that has a 6" lift on it. Guess we've got it pretty good with road systems.

Hopefully you get all this straightened out soon and become a happy camper.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by whoops
Maybe you were one of those complaining, pain in the butt customers. Sometimes the company has to say "screw him" as a customer.
You're downright rude to the original poster and I don't see why? Absolutely unnecessary imo. Just because yours is night and day doesn't mean they all will be.

I'm sorry for your bad experience. Have you spoken with Sage Carli about it? Not one of the sales/tech guys, but the owner?

I have one of the very first Carli systems(2.5" Kings) when he just got the product on the market. A few days after install, I called Sage and told him I felt his valving was too stiff. He had me bring it back up to him and revalved for free to a softer setting. It's been great since he revalved.

I just saw Carli a couple of weeks ago and he told me that he'd rebuild and revalve my shocks to his current "latest and greatest" settings. I'm tempted to do it, but I'm still plenty satisfied and if it aint broke, don't fix it, right?

I would look into having all 4 shocks revalved to a softer setting. I think it just might help.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM

For those of you that dumped on me, you dumped wrongly as you jumped to conclusions.
I have to agree with you.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Were the shocks shipped directly from Carli or drop-shipped from Bilstein? I guess that's what I was asking. If Carli/Bilstein is anything like Thuren/King then they just call Bilstein and give them the specifics on the valving and then the shocks are shipped from Bilstein to you. That's why I said that the valving could be messed up if they weren't shipped directly from Carli.

I don't really have a clue to the roads you guys on the west coast and Mexico have to deal with because thankfully in the southeast we are graced with a pretty good road system. Most roads are fairly smooth; very few are actually rough. Even the rough ones aren't too bad in a stock 2500 or one that has a 6" lift on it. Guess we've got it pretty good with road systems.

Hopefully you get all this straightened out soon and become a happy camper.
The shocks were included in the kit direct from Carli. I have driven on a very high percentage of roads all across the states and Canada, but these roads in places are a bit different.
I have given up on Carli. After suggesting to them twice that they come out here and check for themselves and being ignored both times, plus having other questions ignored.
I will both challenge and dare any and all magazine writers to come here take a ride in a Carli modified Ram 4X4 2500 and see if they can write the same glowing reports. Want to bet the reports are not so glowing any more? Come on, lets up the ante!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater

I'm sorry for your bad experience. Have you spoken with Sage Carli about it? Not one of the sales/tech guys, but the owner?
Never heard of this guy. Only been dealing with one individual at Carli and his name is not Carli.

It would be extremely difficult to send my shocks back as they would have to cross an international border both ways. Not impossible, but can get costly. There are other problems as well. None insurmountable, but still problems.

Thanks for standing up for me against one of the rantings. As he obviously does not understand and probably chooses not to, I just ignore stuff like that.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtEater
You're downright rude to the original poster and I don't see why?

Because it's a forum and I can throw back my opinion.?.?.?.? I highly doubt a company is going to come out to Mexico to rectify a problem. Hell, if I have a problem w/ my Dodge. I want the workers from Mexico (who built my truck) come out where I live and fix my truck when I have a problem...

Yes, they do R&D thier product from Baja, Mexico to Deserts of California to the dreaded EXPANSION JOINTS on the freeways that you have on the concrete freeways. Send your shocks in to get valved through Carli to get the ride you want. Every truck is used different and dialed in w/ the shock valving.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoops
Because it's a forum and I can throw back my opinion.?.?.?.? I highly doubt a company is going to come out to Mexico to rectify a problem. Hell, if I have a problem w/ my Dodge. I want the workers from Mexico (who built my truck) come out where I live and fix my truck when I have a problem...

Yes, they do R&D thier product from Baja, Mexico to Deserts of California to the dreaded EXPANSION JOINTS on the freeways that you have on the concrete freeways. Send your shocks in to get valved through Carli to get the ride you want. Every truck is used different and dialed in w/ the shock valving.
I want them to come work on my truck also. It has to be the valving. The Factory must have done something wrong if it really rides AS BAD as you are making it out to be. Some people say their Carli suspension rides better then my Thuren Suspension, but if that were the case, it must ride REALLY good, seeing as though my truck rides night and day on and off road with my Thuren suspension.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

I considered Thuren but he cannot accept a credit card and only takes PayPal. As I refuse to use PayPal, I had to forget about him.
You can use a credit card. Just use a credit card through Pay Pal.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Never heard of this guy. Only been dealing with one individual at Carli and his name is not Carli.

It would be extremely difficult to send my shocks back as they would have to cross an international border both ways. Not impossible, but can get costly. There are other problems as well. None insurmountable, but still problems.

Thanks for standing up for me against one of the rantings. As he obviously does not understand and probably chooses not to, I just ignore stuff like that.
Sage Carli is the owner and engineer of the Carli Suspension company. I wonder if he's been made aware of this problem you're having. I ordered a 2.5 system with custom valving that I had to cancel due to my wife's loss of employment. Sage was very understanding and lost money on me due to the unique valving he had in it for my camper application. I can't help but think he doesn't realize the gravity of the situation. I'd call them and ask for Sage himself.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danderson
Sage Carli is the owner and engineer of the Carli Suspension company. I wonder if he's been made aware of this problem you're having. I ordered a 2.5 system with custom valving that I had to cancel due to my wife's loss of employment. Sage was very understanding and lost money on me due to the unique valving he had in it for my camper application. I can't help but think he doesn't realize the gravity of the situation. I'd call them and ask for Sage himself.
X2, better put than me...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM

The Carli 2.0 system is probably the nicest riding of any on the pavement.If it doesn't work for you perhaps your roads are more of an off road type surface that will demand more damping than the 2.0 is capable of.Your description of what the truck is doing is not clear enough to make a call on.Maybe you should get some one local with some suspension knowledge to drive the truck and give a better explanation of what it is doing.

Bob
Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM

dominator 3.0 ... do what i do if the road gets that bad drive in the ditch

sounds like one in a hundred ... sounds like you where sold the wrong system

CALL SAGE CARLI for the price of these systems i would be sitting outside his shop and my truck would be fixed!

Quick Reply: Carli suspension report