3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Carli, KORE, Thuren which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carli, KORE, Thuren which one?

My stock shocks are wore out and I figured that it is a good time for a lift on my truck. I don't off road that much but like the looks of a lifted truck and I would also like to run 35" tires. I know some say that 35's fit stock but I still want the lift. I am looking at the basic setups and here is what I have found.

Carli Starter system $1250 retail, 2.75" front lift and 1.0" rear lift
KORE Recon system $???? retail, 3.0" front lift and 1.0" rear lift
Thuren King 2.5 system $1520. 2.5" I'm guessing and the rear I have no idea

Is there a system I am missing? Does one handle better than the other? Does anyone know the Recon retail price and where you can buy it?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Lorenz website

Originally Posted by ShaneCTD600
My stock shocks are wore out and I figured that it is a good time for a lift on my truck. I don't off road that much but like the looks of a lifted truck and I would also like to run 35" tires. I know some say that 35's fit stock but I still want the lift. I am looking at the basic setups and here is what I have found.

Is there a system I am missing? Does one handle better than the other? Does anyone know the Recon retail price and where you can buy it?

Thanks
Lorenz:www.lorenzindustries.com
Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

kore near you
http://koreperformance.com/kore-corp...stribution.htm
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Thuren

Thanks
I can not give you a review yet on the Thuren system, but I have mine on order and everything should be here this week. I'll be doing the install and I'll write a full report. The Thuren King system does not include any lift in the back. If you talk to Don he can get you setup with minipacks for the back. Take a close look, but there is a huge difference between the shocks in the kits you listed..... I had the Bilstein 5100 shocks on my last truck. They're nice, but they're not King, Fox or Sway Away by any stretch.
Train
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

You'll get the most for your money by going with Thuren's stuff. He cuts out most of the "bling" that does nothing but add cost. I rode in his truck yesterday and it rides awesome, better than mine (I need those radius arms). His new coils springs are better than his old ones, which were still really good, but the new ones have thicker wire and more winds. I say go with Don.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Just got done looking at the Loren's site. Looks similar to the KORE and Carli systems with Bilstein shocks and similar lift in the front and back. Cheaper than the Carli system also.

with the Thuren lift, since it doesn't come with a rear lift, what are most people doing? Leave it stock or buying a rear lift from someone else.

One more question, do all these kits bolt diectly on my truck or is there welding involved? Anyone know a price for the KORE system?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:18 PM

with the Thuren lift, since it doesn't come with a rear lift, what are most people doing? Leave it stock or buying a rear lift from someone else.
Don use's Carli's spring pack. You can buy it from Don (which is what I did) or go direct to Carli.

I have Thuren and Carli products, but everything was bought from Don.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 AM

I love my Thuren setup, and he's a GREAT guy to work with. 3" springs in front, the trackbar, and the carli packs in the rear. Bilstein 5100's on the corners, someday I'll upgrade to his kings.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 AM

Id go with ThurenFab.....
Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pitz
I love my Thuren setup, and he's a GREAT guy to work with. 3" springs in front, the trackbar, and the carli packs in the rear. Bilstein 5100's on the corners, someday I'll upgrade to his kings.
It looks like a lot of people are recommending the Thuren products. I don't remember seeing a 3" lift with Bilstein's. Because right now he is around $1k more expensive with the King shocks and a Carli pack in the rear.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:00 AM

Does anyone have any experience with either the KING or Sway-away shocks in extreme cold weather (-40*F) ? I am leaning towards KING but was unable to get any real technical specifications of their website. Any comments or opinions would be great.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redspider
Does anyone have any experience with either the KING or Sway-away shocks in extreme cold weather (-40*F) ? I am leaning towards KING but was unable to get any real technical specifications of their website. Any comments or opinions would be great.

WOW! that's cold! I think you need to invest in shock heaters that would be like your engine block heater. Or maybe you just need a snowcat.

I think the oil would be ok but I just don't know what condition the seals would be in at that temp. The King prerunner shock would probably be your best bet because they use a urethane based main seal instead of Viton. Viton needs to be at a higher temp and pressure to seal correctly.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Baja_Mike
WOW! that's cold! I think you need to invest in shock heaters that would be like your engine block heater. Or maybe you just need a snowcat.

I think the oil would be ok but I just don't know what condition the seals would be in at that temp. The King prerunner shock would probably be your best bet because they use a urethane based main seal instead of Viton. Viton needs to be at a higher temp and pressure to seal correctly.
Ok thanks, thats good to know. I would stay clear of viton regardless as its quite nasty stuff.

One more thing. Do you know if Carli is using the pre-runner series shocks in his kit. I checked his site and minotruck and all it said was custom length and valving. I know ThurenFab is using the perrunner series.

Now I just have to see how thick my wallet is.

thanks again
Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 PM

I am enjoying Don's fine work every day! Go ThurenFab!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM

I heard that the lorenz and kore are pretty much the same design and concept. i was talking to a local shop guy here and he is really big in the lifting industry and turns out that the two companies were once one but then split. so probably the only differnece is the shocks.

Quick Reply: Carli, KORE, Thuren which one?