3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Can't get over 30 psi with stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost fooling and a boost fooler are two different things, fooling lets the motor fuel harder than it would at the real boost level, boost fooler, quad or who evers, does not let the overboost signal get to the ecm, therefore, the ecm does not open the wastegate. I was seeing 32 psi boost max, within two blocks of putting the quad boost fooler on I was at or over 40 psi like nothin.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM

I agree with the others on the boost fooler. I run my smarty with an X2, which is what I reccomend. Solves two problems, boost fooling, and the need for more power!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I have a boost fooler coming and will see what that does. I also took my truck into the dealer today where my buddy works and realized the wires off the map sensor were all messed up. Looked like they were not getting a good connection at all. The connectors looked like someone went to town on them at some point cant believe it did not set a code off. So he put a new connector on with new wires and I instantly hit around 34psi. EGT's are lower and runs a lot better, the only problem now is that it is showing that the turbo boost sensor which I though was the map sensor has a pending code. Drove around all afternoon and nothing came on not sure why? I am going to Iowa this weekend to have my goerend trans put in and dont want a code while driving out there.
thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Guess I spoke way to fast. Just toke the truck to the store and the engine light came one. Have not had a chance to check it with smaty but sure it is the boost sensor code again. The sensor gone bad maybe?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM

could be a bad map sensor. i think im having the same issues with my truck. sometimes it boosts and sometimes not. i think im going to try a new map in it and see what happens.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTurd777
ive had the same question with my truck. i run the edge tuner and ive hit close to 48 psi on levels 4 and 5. i would assume the edge has a boost fooler also. however in the stock setting ive hit over 28 psi no problem. is that normal? i do argree with everyone tho, even tho the turbo can hit close to 50 psi i dont want to be picking up parts of my truck off the highway. when i first installed the edge i hit close to 42 psi and got outta the gas and heard the worst turbo bark ever.
My edge will only go to 22 when i lay the hammer down , my 03 tubor wont make as much boost as the newer ones but i think it should be higher then that, also dont get any black smoke on level 5, i think there should be?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Farmall Power
My edge will only go to 22 when i lay the hammer down , my 03 tubor wont make as much boost as the newer ones but i think it should be higher then that, also dont get any black smoke on level 5, i think there should be?
I had to use a boost elbow to get more boost out of my '03. The wastegate is mechanical, as opposed to electronic on later trucks. Edge sell them, as well as TST and others...

With a Juice I would think you'd get some smoke on level 5. How's your fuel supply?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Well no luck with replacing my MAP sensor or turbo boost sensor whatever they call it. Still getting a check engine light. I am a little confused now considering with bad wiring I had no code and when we replace the wiring with new stuff it has a code. The only thing that I notice is that the sensor that is on the S&B cold air is very loose, not sure if that can set a code off or what? Not sure what that sensor is even called?
thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Ill have to get a boost elbow then, fuel system is stock for now going to upgrade it in the future, my egt's only get to 900 or so on 5 with the hammer down.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 AM

I run the bullydog with crazy larry . Stock I could hit over 35 #boost ,with c/l on I hit my defuel setting of 42 # boost quite easily . I also can hit my 1400 DEG. EGT defuel setting , and it smokes like a freight train . I have never set off a boost code yet . Just another 2cents worth .
Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 AM

I have an 03 with the edge juice, boost fooler and AFE stage 2 cold air intake and can get around 40psi boost out of it. I have my alert set at 35psi and my shut off at 38psi as my head isnt studded and I dont wanna greande my turbo, possibly harming my motor. The boost fooler makes a big difference, i didnt have one with my chip at first, then installed one and it was a noticeable difference, well worth the time and money. Without any mods you stock turbo wont push out over 24psi boost, I think thats the factory setting.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacksmoke06'
Well no luck with replacing my MAP sensor or turbo boost sensor whatever they call it. Still getting a check engine light. I am a little confused now considering with bad wiring I had no code and when we replace the wiring with new stuff it has a code. The only thing that I notice is that the sensor that is on the S&B cold air is very loose, not sure if that can set a code off or what? Not sure what that sensor is even called?
thanks
Did you buy used? Sounds like someone may have had code issues and was playing with the MAP sensor connector and hosed it up. Are you sure your buddy got all the wire correct?

Loose sensor in the intake would be the AIT sensor and it should not be loose but should not set a code unless the connector is loose.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Yes I bought the truck used, because the deal was to good to pass on. I am thinking the same thing now, previous owner had codes and messed up the wiring. We double and triple checked the wires they are all good. The truck is at the dealership right now and they are kind of confused. It is putting a p0236 code right now, but the map sensor and wiring looks to be good. I hope this isn't going to be a massive headache since I want to put my goerend trans in monday.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by blacksmoke06'
Yes I bought the truck used, because the deal was to good to pass on. I am thinking the same thing now, previous owner had codes and messed up the wiring. We double and triple checked the wires they are all good. The truck is at the dealership right now and they are kind of confused. It is putting a p0236 code right now, but the map sensor and wiring looks to be good. I hope this isn't going to be a massive headache since I want to put my goerend trans in monday.

please let us know what the dealer says. i have been chasing a similar problem for the last month.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Okay so just got the truck back and so far so good. Have been driving around with the stock setting on and it seems to be running great, and the boost at stock is right around 30psi. Gonna load level 3 on the smarty and go from there. This is exactly from my invoice at the dealership, not gonna put the whole thing in because it is a paragraph long.
"Inspected wiring, appears Ok checked continuity from sensor to ecm found ground wire was switched with intake air temp sensor signal wire in harness to ecm repaired wires cleared codes and road tested OK."
I dont know what the hell that means,but it seems to work and run better than before. Not sure how it did not set a code off earlier. Fingers crossed that no more codes come up.

Quick Reply: Can't get over 30 psi with stock turbo