3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Can't get over 30 psi with stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get over 30 psi with stock turbo

I have been reading up and not sure what is wrong with the truck unless I have a stuck wastegate. The mods are in the sig. The truck runs great, but recently I have noticed that the boost will stick right around 28psi. Also when it does hit 28psi it seems to be fluttering around not steady at all. Not sure if that is normal or what. I would think that with the smarty I would hit 35psi pretty easy. Any ideas would be great.
thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only see 28-30 psi as well. I think it's normal unless you have a boost fooler or bigger turbo.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM

how about a quad boost fooler.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
trx

Turn the wastegate off in the smarty options menu. I could hit 48lbs on my stock turbo.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM

^^^ a quad boost fooler???

the max i have seen is 32psi on a stock turbo...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Muted User

anything over about 30 with that little guy is nothing but extreme heat anyway. It WILL explode if you over speed it. My 05 with the stock turbo and a TST box could easily hit 50psi. Did it about 2 times and it's lived safely in a box ever since, didn't feel like cleaning up metal chunks from the engine & intercooler. BUT if you really want to kill it you need a boost fooler.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Okay thanks didn't think that I needed a boost fooler, but I will look into one. I will eventually need one when I get the upgraded turbo correct? If other people run that amount of boost then I just will not worry about it and try the boost fooler.
thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
trx

Blacksmoke you should not need a fooler with the smarty, the wastegate setting can be changed in the options menu. This should allow you to run boost up to as high as 50lbs not that I am recommending it but you can conrol it with your right foot. The stock turbo seems to do a good job up until 35lbs but will still make power above that although it starts to get hot.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by trx
Blacksmoke you should not need a fooler with the smarty, the wastegate setting can be changed in the options menu. This should allow you to run boost up to as high as 50lbs not that I am recommending it but you can conrol it with your right foot. The stock turbo seems to do a good job up until 35lbs but will still make power above that although it starts to get hot.
You *do* need a boost fooler with a Smarty. Turning the wastegate off will just increase your drive pressure to insane levels. A boost fooler will allow a few more lbs of boost to cool your egt's by 200 degrees or so, without risking a head gasket issue. Plus, our turbos only make heat over 35psi or so...

Either run a Quad boost fooler or a box like a MP-8 or EZ stacked with the Smarty.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
trx

Sorry I may be misunderstanding this but I have run beta 4.4 and stock injectors aftermarket turbo program with my stock turbo and have had boost up to 48lbs with no codes I assume that the revo program with the wastegate off would give you the same results. So are you saying the stock turbo will only put out 28lbs unless you have a boost fooler? How does turning the wastegate off increase your drive pressure, i can see if your pushing it above 35lbs but otherwise I'm lost .Just trying to clarify this for Blacksmoke.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
trx

Again just trying to clarify,this is copied of the MADS site.

Q. Does Smarty do the boost fooling function?

A. Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.
( Except ;SW # 0 and of course Stock ) No external boost fooler is required

From my understanding a fooler may be required if your pushing over 42lbs. Please correct me if I'm wrong not rying to lead someone in the wrong direction just trying to save a couple bucks if its not needed. Anyways good luck with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

trx thanks for the input, I thought that was what it said in the manual but I have heard many different opinions. Some people can run a lot more boost just from smarty and others are like me around 28psi. I guess for 50 bucks I can try the boost fooler out to see if it does anything for my truck.
thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trx
Again just trying to clarify,this is copied of the MADS site.

Q. Does Smarty do the boost fooling function?

A. Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.
( Except ;SW # 0 and of course Stock ) No external boost fooler is required
Thats correct, Smarty modifies the boost tables to about 42 psi or so but you can push the boost beyond what the tables have for entries then it throws over boost codes, normally. Your pushing 48 with no codes is the exception rather than the rule. Could be your MAP is just not indicating true boost beyond a certain point.

But no boost fooling controls the waste gate, its a seperate funtion. On most trucks Smarty will disable the waste gate to allow boost to build to whatever you have the cajones to run it to. On others it plain doesn't work. Result; about 30 lbs of boost tops.

Enter a Quad boost fooler. This does boost fooling the correct way as it modifies the signal coming from the MAP sensor so it never exceeds about 30 psi until actual hits 40 psi. The result is the ECU fuels fully, no over boost codes, and the WG does not open until the boost gets up to 40-42 lbs actual.

The easiest and cheapest mod you will ever do is a Quad boost fooler.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCLeary
You *do* need a boost fooler with a Smarty. Turning the wastegate off will just increase your drive pressure to insane levels. A boost fooler will allow a few more lbs of boost to cool your egt's by 200 degrees or so, without risking a head gasket issue. Plus, our turbos only make heat over 35psi or so...

Either run a Quad boost fooler or a box like a MP-8 or EZ stacked with the Smarty.

04.5+ turbos push a lot more air and make a lot more HP at 45 psi than at 35 psi.

I'd estimate that 95% of 04.5+ HE351's will not explode at 45 psi boost, when you start nearing 50 psi it gets a little scary. It is true, however, that the more boost you run, the more wear and tear you put on the turbo.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

ive had the same question with my truck. i run the edge tuner and ive hit close to 48 psi on levels 4 and 5. i would assume the edge has a boost fooler also. however in the stock setting ive hit over 28 psi no problem. is that normal? i do argree with everyone tho, even tho the turbo can hit close to 50 psi i dont want to be picking up parts of my truck off the highway. when i first installed the edge i hit close to 42 psi and got outta the gas and heard the worst turbo bark ever.

Quick Reply: Can't get over 30 psi with stock turbo