3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

can twins cause blow by...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can twins cause blow by...

My vent/blow tube from valve cover drips small amounts of oil on driveway and all over my tranny pan. Do i need to add another tube in valve cover to stop it?? please advise!!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Nope...high boost...high rpms...high hp...more blow by.

Could rig up a catch...just remember to check it...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Nope...high boost...high rpms...high hp...more blow by.

Could rig up a catch...just remember to check it...
cquestad,
enlighten me about a "catch", i would like to fix this issue. your help is much appreciated
Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He is talkin about using some sort of bottle or something to catch the blow by. I doesnt need to be air tight but find a way to fassen a container under your blowby tube and problem solved. As long as you dont forget to check it and empty it from time to time.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

a catch can, catch bottle. hangs next to the front axle and the tube blows into it. allows the pressurized vapor to escape, and the oil droplets to be caught in the bottle, so it doesnt drip on the ground.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM

thanks gentlemen

so there is no cure/fix? just a bandaid fix?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

The more free your blow by vents...the happier your head is...and valve cover gaskets.

No fix...fact of life. Just rig up a clear 6 oz bottle with a mouth that is around 1.5 x the diameter of the breather tube...so the "gas/vapor" flows free...and the drop are caught.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
The more free your blow by vents...the happier your head is...and valve cover gaskets.

No fix...fact of life. Just rig up a clear 6 oz bottle with a mouth that is around 1.5 x the diameter of the breather tube...so the "gas/vapor" flows free...and the drop are caught.
Thanks again cquestad,
Your solution is alot cheaper than a certain someone else i visited today. He said my block was'nt straight and we needed to pull the motor soon and deck the block, head, blah,blah,blah. His 25 years of diesel street cred really makes me wonder!!
Thanks again guys, if it wasn't for these forums i would be out tons of $$.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Yep, more hp means more blowby. I have a 16 oz. coke plastic bottle duct taped, yes duct taped to the vent tube with some large holes cut out of the top portion to allow vapor to escape but it catches any oil that drips. I have caught about a coke capful in 4000 miles. What you have done is upped the ante in terms of horsepower and consequently cylinder pressure and you natually get a little more blowby. I am **** enough to have actually gone to the length of measuring my blowby with a digital manometer. It's been a while since I did it but it was within Cummins spec at idle and driving around normally, but going up a steep hill with about 30-35 lbs. of sustained boost it exceeded 15 cm of water, and IIRC the upper limit of Cummins spec is about 12.5 cm water (ON A STOCK TRUCK). With the various modifications that we do who knows what is too much. Keep in mind what Christian said if you were to block off the vent tube you would start leaking oil from every seal, so don't forget to cut some holes in your catch bottle. Jay
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GOT BOOST?
Yep, more hp means more blowby. I have a 16 oz. coke plastic bottle duct taped, yes duct taped to the vent tube with some large holes cut out of the top portion to allow vapor to escape but it catches any oil that drips. I have caught about a coke capful in 4000 miles. What you have done is upped the ante in terms of horsepower and consequently cylinder pressure and you natually get a little more blowby. I am **** enough to have actually gone to the length of measuring my blowby with a digital manometer. It's been a while since I did it but it was within Cummins spec at idle and driving around normally, but going up a steep hill with about 30-35 lbs. of sustained boost it exceeded 15 cm of water, and IIRC the upper limit of Cummins spec is about 12.5 cm water (ON A STOCK TRUCK). With the various modifications that we do who knows what is too much. Keep in mind what Christian said if you were to block off the vent tube you would start leaking oil from every seal, so don't forget to cut some holes in your catch bottle. Jay
thanks guys, i will get on this fix tommorrow.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be warned, if you live in a salty wintery climate, that blowby acts as a chassis self lubricating system/ undercarriage rust preventer. In the summer a catch bottle works great, but in the winter, I let it spew everywhere when I lived in Utah.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 AM

I love my undercarriage rust coatings...

150k of blow by...

Several 12-15 qt dumps of tranny oil...

And agt least 5 gallons of diesel between a blown to pieces relief valve and a cracked feed line!

NO RUST! LOL
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM

lol hell yea