3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
I dont think that he is trying to say that one or the other isnt good. Just that sometimes they will build their parts to work with their other parts. I am pretty sure that is what he was trying to get accross

Kevin
This is exactly what I was saying. Thanks Kevin.

Suncoast to my knowledege is first rate. I only have direct experience with Goerends, and the others are by reputation only. I have a Suncoast flexplate though...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are a lot of guys here that have gone through exactly what you are going through now. Rye summed it up fairly well too. When you start to figure in the cost of labor and time and what not that it takes to drop a tranny and rebuild it and all that, I believe really strongly that this is the one place to splurge and not try to save every last dollar possible. Every dollar you spend now on the right tranny is maybe two to three dollars saved down the line. I've known more than one guy who's tried to save money up front only to have the tranny pulled one to three times down the road. One just recently went through three factory torque converters (Ford) on a little over stock power, towing heavy, before finally ponying up for a good aftermarket. All the time saying the factory ones are good enough, it's designed for this truck... haha...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nah

Originally Posted by madhat
Yeah, what mork said. One builders parts may not work so good with another aftermarket company. Probably fine with stock.

I have seen people piece together trannys before, and things were fine.
Nah i wasnt saying just putting a valve body in. Im putting their valve body with new electronics, their triple disk converter, their input shaft, all their clutches, and their flexplate. Basically all that has 2 be done is put the crap together by the specs for the clutch clearances and shaft play. Thats what i was asking will their valve body hold up to my truck. Or do the guys who use suncoasts valve body do some other secret stuff? I would think thats the same one they send in their built tranny's.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If you are replacing all of your stock parts with one companies parts... I bet you'll be gravy. (good)

My point is you would probably get better results from using 1 vendor, instead of 7 different ones and trying to piece them together.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-4

10-4. I thought everyone was saying not to go to an independent guy. Thats what i am doing, but am using all suncoast stuff, so i was hoping i would be in the clear. I see what your saying.