3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Can DC service tech detect EZ/Bullydog

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can DC service tech detect EZ/Bullydog

I'm sure this has been discussed but I wanted to ask again.
I have a 03 HO Cummins with 9K miles (dont drive it too much,
except for towing RV toys or just for fun). Can the service techs
at DC detect and print out engine parameters that exceeded
factory stock setting? (boost, fuel flow rates and such)

I would like to get a EZ Edge or Bullydog. I understand they can be easily removed before trips to the dealer and that is not a problem providing they can not detect it. I also plan on getting the X monitor which may give away my stealth advantage.

I would like to hear from people who have units they remove and
what the dealers have said if detected. I would think having gauges may start the snooping process at the dealership
I appreciate your feedback. I'm leaning towarding the Bullydog unit and would turn it off during towing all together. Maybe setting 2 for playing and rarley if ever setting 3, OK every once in a while

Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 11:54 AM

My tech told me that they had no way of doing that at the dealership.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:20 PM

My tech told me the same but he also said that if cummins was looking (in the ecm that is) that cummins could detect it.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Cummins can not detect if your using a box , the only thing we can see with Insite is when you get a fault code it will log a snap shot of the engine parameters at the time the fault occured. even then the only snap shot we have will be the first and last fault snap shot .
Old 10-03-2004, 02:52 AM

It's plain and simple if you are going to play then when you break it YOU must PAY.
I you are so worried about breaking somthing and then being too cheap to pay for it then leave it (edit by mod for language) alone.
Wait until your warranty is over and then add the goodies. There are those of us that BOMB our trucks and still take it to the shop if it needs it with the BOMBs on. We do this because we understand that somtimes WE break things and somtimes WEW don't so we want to have them fixed right and lead the dealer on wild goose chase or make them pay for OUR mistakes or misfurtunes.
When in doubt about warranty stuff ask the dealer what their stand is on BOMBS, most dealers sell them over the counter and understand we are going to add them to the trucks. It make it better for them if they can work on the truck with the BOMBS on there so they can fix it right ar at least let you know the problem is with the BOMB
OK I'll get off my soap box now
Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
It's plain and simple if you are going to play then when you break it YOU must PAY.
I you are so worried about breaking somthing and then being too cheap to pay for it then leave it (edit by mod for language) alone.
Wait until your warranty is over and then add the goodies. There are those of us that BOMB our trucks and still take it to the shop if it needs it with the BOMBs on. We do this because we understand that somtimes WE break things and somtimes WEW don't so we want to have them fixed right and lead the dealer on wild goose chase or make them pay for OUR mistakes or misfurtunes.
When in doubt about warranty stuff ask the dealer what their stand is on BOMBS, most dealers sell them over the counter and understand we are going to add them to the trucks. It make it better for them if they can work on the truck with the BOMBS on there so they can fix it right ar at least let you know the problem is with the BOMB
OK I'll get off my soap box now
I totally understand the "you are your own warranty station" thing, and I accept the fact that I may have to take responsibility for my bombing actions. However, the way I see it I don't feel bad about hiding a bomb from a dealer. The whole warranty thing is a who can screw who deal. It's offered by the manufacturer as a way to give peace of mind at the time of purchase, but this is by no means a guarantee that they will honor it. The dealer will look for ANY way to get out of spending a dime on a vehicle after the sale. If there is any chance they can avoid it, they will. You see this with the dealer voiding warranties and denying repairs because of an air fliter.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:02 AM

No they can't tell.
Unless you go in there with a box on the truck before their eyes.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by coolslice
However, the way I see it I don't feel bad about hiding a bomb from a dealer. The whole warranty thing is a who can screw who deal.
Interesting ethics. If I feel someone is trying to screw me (even though the warranty statement in the owner's manual is very clear concerning modifications), then that gives me the right to commit fraud. Maybe that works for you, but I have to sleep at night and look at myself when I shave. You see, I don't have to answer for the dealer's actions, but I DO ultimately have to answer for mine.

And, no, my truck has never been back to the dealer for any warranty work whatsoever. That's because I am my own warranty station.

Rusty
Old 10-03-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
Interesting ethics. If I feel someone is trying to screw me (even though the warranty statement in the owner's manual is very clear concerning modifications), then that gives me the right to commit fraud. Maybe that works for you, but I have to sleep at night and look at myself when I shave. You see, I don't have to answer for the dealer's actions, but I DO ultimately have to answer for mine.

And, no, my truck has never been back to the dealer for any warranty work whatsoever. That's because I am my own warranty station.

Rusty
I think the word "fraud" is wrong, I seriously doubt you could actually be criminally charged, and certainly not punished.
Like I said, I accept the fact that I am risking my warranty coverage by adding a TST to my truck (maybe), my truck has never been back either. If it were a cut and dry matter of ethics like you suggest then all dealers would have a zero tolerance on ANY mod, and that is not the case by a long shot. It's a big gray area, because some dealers sell and install BOMBs. How do you feel about these guys w/ a blown engine on a $45k truck w/ 10,000 miles? Their warranty is denied because they have a K & N air filter and now they are faced w/ a $15,000 repair bill when the air filter is obviously not to blame.
When it comes to the common man against a large corporation, the last part of my body I would be worried about is my face! You payed for the warranty, if you knew you would never use it because you didn't want to take advantage of a loving, innocent multi- billion dollar corporation, then maybe you could have had the warranty voided in the biginning in exchange for a lower price. I guess I admire your values, but if my truck has a major problem and it's not totally my fault, then you bet I will be going in to try to get it warrantied. I won't lose any sleep over that.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:51 PM

Go ahead and put the box on - have a blast. I'm not running a box for the reasons given above. I'm not in a place to risk it - nor be my own warranty station. I've read good arguments going both ways on this often asked question.

The dealers most likely won't activate the CSI's until you come in with a blown headgasket, melted chunkies, or a grenaded tranny and pound on the service managers desk demanding to have them replaced for free. Thats when you'll feel like your sitting at the end of the long table in a darkened room, and the guys at the other side are the ones smoking the cigarettes.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 AM

My best friend works at a huge Dodge/ Jeep dealership. He tells me all the time about how guys will bring in Jeeps that they have destroyed off-roading, which is an obvious case of owner abuse. He says he can't remember the last time they denied a warranty claim on a jeep in that situation. Seems like the warranty is really different in every situation at every different dealership.