3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Camshaft installer in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft installer in Georgia

Does anybody know of any shops around the middle georgia Area that could put my helix 2 in for me. (other than Garmons Diesel in Mcdonough). Can i take it to a truck shop? cummins shop?

Its embarrassing to have someone do this type of work to one of my vehicles. IVe built many a motor etc etc.. but i simply do not have the time!!

What hs everyone been paying to have this done? If it costs too much i will just take vacation form work and get it done.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 AM
DTR Advertiser

I am probably 8-9 hrs from you. We would be glad to do it but there is several shops in NC that are within 4 -5 hrs though. Maybe contact Mcmopar?? Not sure if he does cams but have heard he has reasonable rates and does good work. Member Masonic-Dodge has also installed a few cams lately . Pm me for a price quote. Tim

Last edited by Totallyrad; 09-28-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Price quote in post
Old 09-28-2008, 12:16 PM

cam install

I drove From NY to Tims. He will get you in and out the same day.
I enjoyed my time with these guys while there.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

What's wrong with Garmon?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Harris Diesel in Fair Play SC # 864-710-9158 Name Will Harris.Tell him Trey sent you.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
What's wrong with Garmon?
I wondered that too. Of anyone in that area, that's where I'd go.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
I wondered that too. Of anyone in that area, that's where I'd go.
I would not recommend him to my worst enemy. I had a blown head gasket he fixed and charged me $4900 to just fix head gasket and upper rings on piston's. Which he did "in-the-frame" repair on top rings on piston. I had a MPI twin set, formula 1 cam and springs for him to install while he was replacing head gasket and he said he would not install any of them unless we pulled motor and cut pistons, deck the block and head, oring it and do something with valve seats. He supposedly fixed it, but 2-3 days later I still had blow by, so I took it back and he says " well it's the rear main seal". 2-3 days after rear main seal repair, it still had blow by, He said " First rear main seal he fixed was cracked from cummin's. So he replaced it for the second time. Then I take a trip to NC for some install's and see my tranny temp sky high, so i pull over to check it out and the tranny is 4 QUARTS LOW !!!!!! I call him and leave a message, "any reason why my tranny is 4 quarts low? " never heard from him, so i called again and again but no return call's.
The main reason i am sharing this story is because he took me for $4900 bucks and we were talking in his shop and he said "this was just to get me buy until i could afford to pull motor and do what he wanted to do to it. This was just a quick fix".
Why would you take $4900 bucks from a customer and tell them you basically "rednecked" it for now, until it can be done his way???
He also left 2 tranny pan bolt's out, nut on fan shroud missing, and turbo clamp was loose and blew off on my ride home from his shop. I would deal with someone else. I'm thinking of timinva @tre, or shane @wicked diesel.
NO JEFF GARMON FOR ME!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

well, I only know your side of this but, it sounds like he did quite a bit of work. A head gasket is one thing but replacing the rings isn't a easy task and a lot of work.

Jeff's philosophy is... if he works on a engine, he doesn't want the customer coming back and saying... why did it blow up ? It takes a lot more than you spent to build a race motor. Without building it right, that's a chance you're taking. Both the head and block should be decked, valve seats replaced, piston don't have to be cut for a F1 cam but, he may have had more hp in mind for you.

Nothing at all against to others you mentioned but, Jeff has been working on diesels since before those guys thought of getting into high performance diesel. He's not always to easiest guy to work with but, make no mistake.... he knows what he's doing and charges accordingly.

You seem to have some legitimate complaints but, this sure wasn't the place to air them. He can be hard to get a hold of being the only one at his shop but, if you have issues.... he's who you should take it up with. I'm sure he'd make it right.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
well, I only know your side of this but, it sounds like he did quite a bit of work. A head gasket is one thing but replacing the rings isn't a easy task and a lot of work.

Jeff's philosophy is... if he works on a engine, he doesn't want the customer coming back and saying... why did it blow up ? It takes a lot more than you spent to build a race motor. Without building it right, that's a chance you're taking. Both the head and block should be decked, valve seats replaced, piston don't have to be cut for a F1 cam but, he may have had more hp in mind for you.

Nothing at all against to others you mentioned but, Jeff has been working on diesels since before those guys thought of getting into high performance diesel. He's not always to easiest guy to work with but, make no mistake.... he knows what he's doing and charges accordingly.

You seem to have some legitimate complaints but, this sure wasn't the place to air them. He can be hard to get a hold of being the only one at his shop but, if you have issues.... he's who you should take it up with. I'm sure he'd make it right.
-He only replaced the TOP ring on pistons with them still in the block, in the truck.
-I didn't ask him to build me a race motor, i asked him to install some twins,cam, & springs. Common parts on a lot of '06 trucks all over these forums? Yes!
-the '06 heads already have a different valve seat design?
-His excuse for cutting pistons was new cam would make valves kiss pistons. and something about lowering compression. the '06's already have lower compression.
-While my truck was at his shop he NEVER EVER had a problem answering my phone calls, shop phone or cell phone. why he doesn't answer now? i don't know, you tell me. I left him 2 messages on his cell phone and no return calls.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nrussell
-He only replaced the TOP ring on pistons with them still in the block, in the truck.
-I didn't ask him to build me a race motor, i asked him to install some twins,cam, & springs. Common parts on a lot of '06 trucks all over these forums? Yes!
-the '06 heads already have a different valve seat design?
-His excuse for cutting pistons was new cam would make valves kiss pistons. and something about lowering compression. the '06's already have lower compression.
-While my truck was at his shop he NEVER EVER had a problem answering my phone calls, shop phone or cell phone. why he doesn't answer now? i don't know, you tell me. I left him 2 messages on his cell phone and no return calls.
I'm not arguing with you... just giving a third party opinion.

With the components you want installed... you're some what building a race motor. twins, cam, springs, injectors...etc. All that can lead to some major destruction if not used right or built right.

No you don't have a different seat design. The seats in the CR's are very prone to dropping.

No, the 06's don't already have lowered compression. With some cams, you would either have to fly cut or shave the piston to avoid kissing the valves. F! cams don't need this done though as they're are a stock replacement. Lowered compression will give you more hp and benefit several other things.

As far as Jeff and his phone... you can ask anyone who knows him and they'll tell you the same thing. He doesn't always get to the phone no matter who is on the other end.. I've been at his shop several times and spent a good amount of time there. Every 2 minutes the phone would ring which if answered takes him away from work to be done. I know Jeff does what he can and your troubles are definitely the exception to most who have him do work. Sorry you weren't happy with him. Just know though you're gonna spend a lot more cash to get the things you want done no matter who you go too. It's just the name of the game unless you do it yourself :-)
Old 09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Go see Ashley Black at BlacksDiesel Performance in Adairsville. super stand up guy. Not trying to get involved, but the Garmon thing sounds like a rare circumstance, and not the norm. I guess even Jeff can make mistakes.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 PM

dont turn my thread into a vendor bashing thread...ive called garmon about the cam install and im not going to use him....thats all that needs to be said..period!

Thank you all for the input!! If anyone else knows of a shop let me know..thanks!!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I can say that Tim ,Cris and Phil are all stand up guys. Other than them, no idea who to send you to.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
All I can say is Tim built my 06 and I have had no issues, I would not take my truck to anyone else.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM

I will give black's a call! Thank you all.

Quick Reply: Camshaft installer in Georgia