3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

california and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
california and smoke

ok, so I am here in San Diego to watch my son graduate Marine Basic and am worried about the smoke coming from the stacks. I have the Smarty on level 1 for economy but when climbing some of the hills and it is lugging a bit, she smokes a bit and wondering how **** they are and what they can do to me. should I kill it and put back on stock settings til I am out of cali or just leave it? I did see a sticker on the back window of a dmax dually that said something about SoCalSmokers.com (i think that is what it was) so I gave them little black CLOUD puff (they were to my right) then they hammered the dmax and NO SMOKE!! . anyways, thanks for the comments and I know some will be good.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never had a problem with my 2nd gen. I just behaved myself when I saw the fuzz. You have out of state plates so there isn't too much they can do.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM

I guess it realy depends on who sees you do it. If you puff a little out of your stacks who gives a flying hoot(I guess I better rephrase that, there are some real **** people in that state). If you black out a 4 lane highway and cause a car to run into a guardrail then maybe you might get nailed. Big rigs always roll smoke out of their exausts, what in the sam heck are they going to do about it? Diesels always smoke a little, give it about 6 months and we'll be watching those 6.7s smoke.

I read on here a while ago that CA just established a system where people can call a hotline and report smoking vehicles. That's problem geared towards the guy in his 1980's Ice Cream van running leaded gas and burning a quart of oil every 5 miles.

Just don't close down a lane and you'll be fine, your not even a resident there. Your fine.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

sweet, would bum me out to return to stock til I got out of this place. It don't smoke toooo bad on 1 but 3 is another story. makes me giggle everytime i roll into it. people back off from tailgating pretty fast too!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM

I bet no one rides your tail when it's raining real hard. You have wide tires so you know what im talking about. When the roads are wet and im going 70mph on the highway there is so much water being kicked up from my tires that it makes everything behind my truck look like a white wall.

If you run mudflaps it probley won't be so bad but I refuse to put them on my truck.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM

California native here... They don't call it the left coast becouse of the side of the map we're on.

Seriosly, Just don't be stupid. Keep your foot out of it when the cops are around and don't get caught racing anybody.

You're more likely to get a speeding ticket in a school zone than anything else.

One more thing, put stickers on your truck that say "Proud parent of a Marine" and "Disabled VET" and you should be just fine. Many of the cops are former Solders or Marines and they wouldn't have the heart to write you up.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM

OK Chris - guess we could trust you to be the one to give New Mexico a bad name in California, eh? Think of it as YOU are our ambassador. I know it will be really hard for you to behave yourself, but remember the rest of us, please? I'd offer to spank you, but knowing you, you'd like it and I would have to do it all the time. That would mean TOO many trips to Albuquerque for me in a day.

Truthfully, smoke 'em to death big boy, just had to jerk your hitch a little. You also need a 3rd bumper sticker that says: Once YOU Go Black - You'll NEVER Go Back.

CD
Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Chapter President

Carol, I would probably like the spanking too much!!

I already have a disabled vet sticker and a marine sticker on it so I must be good to go to fogg the left coasters!! LOL!! I will keep it in check, don't need any tickets. I am going to clean up the truck tomorrow and go to the beach and take pics. Should turn out pretty good! will post them when I get back since I forgot the card reader for my camera at home. tend to forget things at 1am and stumbling around loading the truck and bouncing from 1 solid white line to the other til the sun came up to give me my second wind. I am beat! NIGHTY NIGHT!! i is tippin over and going into a coma.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 PM

In the Navy, that's called "Rack Ops".
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 AM

I know of a few people that have received letters from the EPA regarding their trucks smoking, but nothing was ever pursued. I still got dealer plates, so the smokes always rolling in my truck.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
cbrahs,

Relax. There is so much false hype about California it's just amazing. The air is so dirty over such a large area of CA that I don't think anyone will even be able to see a little puff from your truck, or care. You may be a victim of your own misconception of the place.

John
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
You also need a bumper sticker that says: Once YOU Go Black - You'll NEVER Go Back.
CD
My bumper sticker says "I have the same tastes in chocolate & women - Dark & Bitter!"
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

The only thing I know of is a EPA phone number that someone can call your license plate number in. You just get a letter w/ a concern of polluting (sp?). No big deal. Especially if you are out of state.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM

I saw a bumper sticker in a truck stop this summer that said: Diesels Get Down and Dirty. Since I am not about sticking stuff like bumpers stickers on my truck, I just read them and get a good laugh. There are some good ones out there though, almost got one a few years ago becuase it was real funny, but decided to let it go. I do have one that says: Where's the Fence? but also have chose not to put it on my truck, don't need to rouse the illegals.

CD
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM

My truck smokes like crazy, really good when I'm towing. I was pulling cahone pass and got pulled over at the summit. CHP said that I had excessive smoke comming from truck. I said " yeah ain't that neat". The chp said that is was a traffic hazard. I said no problem just write up the ticket and I'll be on my way. Problem was that there is no code that entails excessive smoke. He knew it and so did I. I have lots of family in law enforcement and have read all the books. He sent me on my way never to meet again. But I'll never forget the look on his face when I said that the smoke was neat. Priceless

Quick Reply: california and smoke