3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

In cab Air Bag (suspension) Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In cab Air Bag (suspension) Control

I was wondering what Air Bag users have for in-cab control.

I'm leaning towards a Dakota Digital single gauge (up to 5 pressures displayed) that would display tank, left, and right bag pressure, then 2 switches to inflate & deflate via solenoid I already have.

I'm not overly interested in a 'blingy' solution, or suspension bouncing competitions, just want to control the bags on the fly. And yes, I am carrying weight, 3200lb of truck camper and towing a boat to be precise.

Thanks!

Tony
Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a Carli long travel air bag setup. I've been piecing together parts to have in cab control as well. After hours of looking at many solutions, I too settled on the Dakota digital (although I picked the rectangular model).

I'm using Air Ride technologies solenoid block, an Air Zenith compressor, 5-gallon tank, some lighted SPDT switches, and Dakota's readout.

Post pics when you're done!

--Eric
Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM

Eric,
Will do!

Why the rectangular model? I'm looking over the round, just to save some space.

Tony
Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

I don't know, it's been a couple months since I ordered it, but I'm sure I had a good reason then!

Actually, I have no space to put another round gauge, and I found a decent spot to mount the rectangular one. And, I think I liked how the rectangular model spelled out front and rear, and seemed less cluttered to read. And, maybe the round one can't have a different range pressure solenoid for the tank and bags? I don't know, I'm just making stuff up now

One of many things on the list to do...

--Eric
Old 05-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by enafzige
One of many things on the list to do...
Don't I know it!

Any other thoughts out there?

Tony
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Are you talking about suspension-replacing airbags, or helper airbags? I've had airbags on all four of my Dodges... on the first two, I used the Firestone gauge which just accepts the air line from the tank, then goes out to each of the airbags (with either a single or dual switch). On my third, I went with the Airlift gauge which handled things with solenoids. I didn't like this because those solenoids take up space and still had to be located near the control (inside the cab).

On my current truck, I went back to the Firestone setup. This time, since I tow a 5th wheel instead of carry a truck camper, I went with the single-out model, where one switch controls both bags. There's no need to air 'em differently side to side.

Rob
Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 PM

So, I'm talking about helper air bags.

My design will place the solenoids under the chassis, somewhere near the air bags. There is no need for the solenoids to be that close to the controls. Otherwise, just use the in-cab deflate.

Tony
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM

I have the firestone bags and compressor. Its just got the compressor mounted on the frame, and it runs lines to both bags, and I have a gauge and a single switch controller for up and down in the cab. I think they ran me like 750 installed at a place here in weatherford that does truck beds and truck accessories. They work awesome too. I had about 3500 pounds of pavestone in the back of my truck the other day and I aired the bags up to about 130 pounds and my truck didn't even try to squat
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I have bags on the rear of my truck, and boy is it nice hooking up to 10000 lbs, and hitting the bags to level the truck. I have 2 Viair compressors, with a 7 gallon tank mounted under the truck. For in cab controls, I used the Level Pro from Air ride Technologies, and it works flawlessly.

By the way, I was not fond of the compressors transfering noise through the frame, so I made a custom plate, and mounted them with Lord Mounts. Now you just barely here the compressors running.

Here's the link:

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx
Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Question

I ordered a set of PacBrake bags along with their paddle control switches, one to fill one to empty I guess is how it works. They do have a more high end control but it more than the bag kit is.
I am thinking I should have a gauge so I can fill while on the move.

Any ideas on adding one or using some other control with a gauge?
I don't need separate bag control, thinking I should just get one of these.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM

I just installed Pacbrake's bags and Air Lift's Wireless system. Very nice, I have a small remote and no lines or wired gauges in the cab.

Sid

Thanks Brett.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 PM

Question

Originally Posted by sid325
I just installed Pacbrake's bags and Air Lift's Wireless system. Very nice, I have a small remote and no lines or wired gauges in the cab.
That's slick, where did you purchase it from?

Now that I found PB's accessory page I see what the order desk sold me is #10124 which probably functions the same way the Firestone control does except has independent left & right switches & costs double.
This will have to have lines running into the cab. There HP10022 would have been a better choice leaving the lines outside the cab and operating both bags at the same time.

But at that price it seems you are pretty close to the Air Lift wireless control, wonder if you can get just the control without a pump??
Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 AM

Question

Originally Posted by sid325

Sid

Thanks Brett.
Are you using a tank with your set up? I would be curious to know if the manifold on the wireless kit can be connected to a tank instead of the compressor?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I have a Pac Brake exhaust brake with a compressor and some Pac Brake air bags.
I don't want a big ugly gauge hanging under the dash with all sortsa wires and air hose running through the firewall, so I'm getting a wireless airbag controller from Air Lift. The remote is similar to a garage door opener, you can hang attach it to the back of your sun visor, put in in one of the cubby holes or console. It has pre-sets to, set one for 10 pounds when your empty, and a setting for 30 or 40 or whatever you tow with, just push a button and it does the work automatically. As well it will maintain a minimum pressure so you don't have to re-check all the time if you're paranoid about losing pressure due to a leak somewhere in the system
Check it out, I think it's pretty cool and will post something when I put it in , it's on the way...
http://www.airliftcompany.com/WirelessAIR.html
Old 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I'm getting a wireless airbag controller from Air Lift.
But have you checked to see if its compatible with a tank?

I have one setting on my work bench at the moment and didn't get in touch with AirLift before they closed for the weekend so not sure if it will work correctly connected to my PacBrake tank. The compressor that comes in the wireless #72000 kit is a dinky thing. I would like to just connect it to my PB Tank vs having two compressors.

Quick Reply: In cab Air Bag (suspension) Control