3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

bullydog vs smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bullydog vs smarty?

i have a bullydog triple dog w/ crazy larry stacked with edge ez would i see more out of a smarty? if so i am ordering one today!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM

ive never dynoed with the bully dog but the smarty put down 461 to the wheels on my truck. ive ran both and they are nice, but I like the smarty more. the egts seem to be a little less with the smarty and I run it on 8 all the time and drive it everyday with no issues. I went from the bully dog to the smarty and it smokes alot more also. it does have the tq management which is hard to get used to but there are programs to do away with it that I know of. you can get one off here from the dtr store, nice guy that works there
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

ok yeah thanks! i love my bullydog but have heard so much about the smarty and i got my *** stomped by one about two days ago! i was in my 4x4 3/4 to and the smarty was in a 4x4 one ton
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM

Have you tried Crazy Larry 2.4.1? The new Crazy Larry on my '06 feels substantially more powerful then my SmartyCR.

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM

huh no i have the 2.2.7 i believe. but i have an 04.5 . . . . does that make a difference?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the new Crazy Larry will work on your truck. It's definitely worth a try before you spend the money on a different programmer.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtydemon
huh no i have the 2.2.7 i believe. but i have an 04.5 . . . . does that make a difference?
Yea come over to my house...I will hook you up with the Bullydog 2.4.1
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Just my two cents here. Bob and Marco were smart to throw a face (or at least a voice) their product. It gave experts and novices (myself) a chance to interact with the guys that were tuning our trucks and it works well. My biggest issue with bully dog was the lack of personality with the product, and Bud has filled that gap like a champ. It honestly was what I (and I don't think I'm alone here) was waiting for from the Bully dog corner. Goodbye Smarty hello PMT
Jim
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Muted User

I was skeptical at first but after trying it I'm impressed. I had crazy larry 2.2.7 and upgraded to 2.4.1 a few days ago. It seems to run better with easier smoke control. The extra RPM (up to 4100) is REAL nice.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM

RPM that is the key,, if the smarty could get me 4100 I would have it allready in my truck,, going to do a test between the bully and the PPE... see how it goes

Kevin
Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran Triple Dog with Crazy Larry tune along with stacking an EZ and then a XZT with my Triple Dog....both setups worked very well and I never had a single issue with my Triple Dog. It always performed well and did what I wanted it to do...

Just recently switched to the Smarty and my truck runs hands down better with the Smarty. No need to stack a module to get some low-end fueling as the Smarty fuels hard enough (at least for my driving needs) down low. SWs 3, 5, and 7 are amazing on my truck. EGTs are better as well...my mileage went up a solid 1.5 MPG....plus all the different downloads to "tune" to how your truck is setup.

Also, yesterday, I hooked up to my race trailer and tugged it around town to see how the Smarty tows. Power is much better suited for towing on SW #3 on the Smarty than the Triple Dog. The TripleDog did a good job, but the Smarty just does it a lil' better...

Both are great products really, but MY truck runs better with the Smarty....
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 AM

I'm wanting to buy a progarmmer and I have been doing a lot of reading on both and it seems to me that it truly depends on your trucks liking and your personal liking. I think i'm going to go with the Bully Dog PMT and give it a try. Anyone have any info about the PMT?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Greater RPM's with Smarty?

I've heard somewhere that the Smarty is going to come with a higher RPM before de fueling? Does anybody know what the situation is with that, how soon, or if it is only a rumor?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM

If you go over 3300rpm with boost over 50psi....you had better have upgraded valve springs...The stock ones start to float over 3300rpm at 40psi...at 50psi...they have a tendancy to ping the pistons. Above that they tend to hammer the pistons till the retainers loosen and they drop....I speak from experience. I bent a valve with stock springs and dented the #5 piston and that was just running TST over 3300rpm. F1's springs are needed and are beneficial even at lower power levels by having good control over the valves. IF you go over 3500rpm with lots of boost and power on stock springs you will pay...sooner or later. Kerry
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM

see thats what i am afraid of! i have no boost guage and no pyro yet i dont drive my truck that hard though. . . . i had a buddy unplug my map sensor i my truck screamed and blew so much black smoke it wasnt funny! the bullydog 2.2.7 is my current version and it does well and i just upgraded it from like a 2.1.3 or something like it and it made a night a day dif.! i hope the 2.4.1 will apply to my truck. i have a quadzilla boost fooler on order and i hope that will help also. someone ssaid too that the it depends on the truck liking the module. what does this mean? i know they react diff but my buddy has the same truck stock and he can almost keep me in top end and all he has is a straight pipe!

Quick Reply: bullydog vs smarty?