3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bullydog TD doesn't like boost foolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty sure that boost fooling is working because I have no smoke and EGT's are low. But I am definitely losing power somehow.

With Bulldog set to crazy larry from a dead stop to a sign that is about 1/8 mile away I floor it and rpm's go to 3100-3200 through the gears and I get up to about 85 mph at the sign.

With the Quad boost fooler installed and Bulldog set on crazy larry my rpm's are 2900-3200 and I am only at 78 mph at the sign.

With XZT module that has built in boost fooler and Bullydog set on crazy larry rpm's are 3050-3200 and I am at 81 mph at the sign.

The reason I am stating the rpm's is that they are an indicator of how much power/torque the engine is pushing through the torque converter.

You may ask why I bother with a boost fooler or xzt module if I make more power without. The short answer is the Bullydog with crazy larry makes my truck run very hot 1600deg+ and I can do without all the smoke. I need to get the heat down and I can't afford a turbo upgrade yet.

Also my truck with just the Superchips tuner was faster than the Bullydog with crazy larry installed. (100hp Superchips vs. 180hp crazy larry) It could do 88 mph consistently to the same sign and the tach would virtually sit on 3200rpm through the gears. If someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Tom J.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM

In reference to the low boost problem, how is it being measured?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 PM

It is not a low boost problem

The problem is the bullydog program does not like the different boost signal from boost foolers and goes into some sort of limp mode or constant defuel. The Quad boost fooler seems to send a maximum signal of no more than 22psi to the PCM allowing the wastegate to stay closed and build higher boost. I think that that might be too low for the programming of the Bullydog and it will not fully fuel which will decrease performance considerably. However the turbo is probably pushing over 40psi boost. With just the Bullydog programmer with Crazy Larry selected I get tons of smoke, with the Quad boost fooler or XZT installed I get absolutely no smoke whatsoever, even if I lug it down it.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acook
I thought you liked the scary larry?
I do...especially after tonight. pulled Quadzilla stuff and installed SP's beta boost fooler. The program ran like never before after a few minutes of driving....felt faster than my truck ever has been. apparently it was in some kind of limp mode with Quadzilla products installed.

Originally Posted by ramble bee
Man i hope i dont have these problems with mine! I lost the boost fooling on my MP-8. I can only pull 20 boost so i bought the quad boost fooler hope it works. Man these 06s are kind of strange but in a good way
i stacked that too...boost fooler and MP8 and Crazy Larry. i got nervous and took it off pretty fast...had excessive turbo bark on a stock turbo.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM

I want to make sure that no one thinks that I am trying to bash Quadzilla products in any way. As a matter of fact I know I would have been much happier if I had just bought the Quad race box with commander to start with. However, I have already gone through the painfull install of setting up the Bullydog with outlook monitor(A pillar mount) and I don't want to tear it all out, and I also like the on the fly power adjustability. So I kind of want to find a solution that allows me to keep what I have for the time being and lower EGT's and smoke. Thanks guys, Tom J.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is crazy how hit and miss stacking the boost fooler with the triple dog is. I have this stack along with the Edge EZ module and my truck runs fantastic!

I keep the triple dog on tow/economy and use the EZ to control power output...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Does anyone out there know if the trucks are tuned on MAP or Boost?

If you think about it, boost foolers work by manipulating MAP. They don't take Baro into account for the most part. It's possible the trucks do and thats why it's so inconsistent. Foolers want to go right to the edge of the tuning to get the max fuel and spool. If that edge is different for different elevations, it's possible that could cause weird fueling problems.

If they are tuned on MAP it wont make a difference in the least, but if the trucks take Baro into account. Elevation could have an effect.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm at 4,000ft elevation, so maybe you are on to something.

Anyone else using boost foolers live at high elevations? Please chime in.......

Thanks, Tom J.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

The 2 trucks here in texas with this problem are at ~350 feet elevation
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM

I have called both Bullydog and Quadzilla numerous times and I have gotten nowhere. I am almost sure that it has nothing to do with Quadzilla and there is probably nothing they can do.

I am amazed at the complete lack of knowledge and unwillingness to help from The Bullydog tech support. It really seems like they have no idea how their product works and they get frustrated if you dare ask a specific question about their programming.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigJohnston
I am amazed at the complete lack of knowledge and unwillingness to help from The Bullydog tech support. It really seems like they have no idea how their product works and they get frustrated if you dare ask a specific question about their programming.
agreed, but i do love scary larry.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
I do...especially after tonight. pulled Quadzilla stuff and installed SP's beta boost fooler. The program ran like never before after a few minutes of driving....felt faster than my truck ever has been. apparently it was in some kind of limp mode with Quadzilla products installed.

i stacked that too...boost fooler and MP8 and Crazy Larry. i got nervous and took it off pretty fast...had excessive turbo bark on a stock turbo.
Send me your XZT box. I am going to remap the MAP sensor and see what happens.

It seems to be this problem pops up only on a couple of trucks and always on this "scary lary" which seems to be hit and miss depending on version.

So, I have something I want to try on the MAP side. It may take something slightly different for the Scary Lary? Hard to say they keep changing stuff, even more than Ford is on the 6L!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM

The other problem with trying to fix this is that your results are almost bi-polar. One day something works, you alter something and then nothing works and then back and forth, back and forth.

Here a few days ago you mentioned this:

"by the way the SP boost fooler does work with the bullydog on an 06 truck...but not very well. it hangs at 22psi for a while before releasing to ~45psi."

Now it works. Seems like the same problem everything has had, the MP8, XZT and our Boost Fooler.

Also you have a different turbo and you mention that it only has a problem over 50psi. I tried to get you to check a couple of things but, that never happened.

If you are really going to try and make power you need to understand what is going on and be able to do some troubleshooting or you are going to be happy one day and ticked off the next which seems to be the case on a daily basis on here.

The ECm uses all sorts of maps to select fueling parameters. If everything is not tuned by the aftermarket just like the factory does it then you can get on and off performance based on outside air temp, engine temp, intake air temp, etc.....

So once again send me your box I am going to try something a little goofy that will not hang up at 22psi and should not limp ever. Sort of weird idea but, it is an idea.

Quad
Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
Send me your XZT box. I am going to remap the MAP sensor and see what happens.

It seems to be this problem pops up only on a couple of trucks and always on this "scary lary" which seems to be hit and miss depending on version.

So, I have something I want to try on the MAP side. It may take something slightly different for the Scary Lary? Hard to say they keep changing stuff, even more than Ford is on the 6L!
Ok it will be in the mail tommorrow.

Originally Posted by qzilla
The other problem with trying to fix this is that your results are almost bi-polar. One day something works, you alter something and then nothing works and then back and forth, back and forth.

Here a few days ago you mentioned this:

"by the way the SP boost fooler does work with the bullydog on an 06 truck...but not very well. it hangs at 22psi for a while before releasing to ~45psi."

Now it works. Seems like the same problem everything has had, the MP8, XZT and our Boost Fooler.

Also you have a different turbo and you mention that it only has a problem over 50psi. I tried to get you to check a couple of things but, that never happened.

If you are really going to try and make power you need to understand what is going on and be able to do some troubleshooting or you are going to be happy one day and ticked off the next which seems to be the case on a daily basis on here.

The ECm uses all sorts of maps to select fueling parameters. If everything is not tuned by the aftermarket just like the factory does it then you can get on and off performance based on outside air temp, engine temp, intake air temp, etc.....

So once again send me your box I am going to try something a little goofy that will not hang up at 22psi and should not limp ever. Sort of weird idea but, it is an idea.

Quad
Theres 2 trucks referenced here....my buddies' 06 with a stock turbo and my 05 with a SPS6280. His truck didn't like the SP nearly as much as mine.....because he has a wastegate to deal with and I dont.

My truck has literally been in some half limp mode....i noticed mileage dropped significantly but was gonna run a few tanks to rule out bad diesel/usld/whatever. I am on tank #3 of that right now.

about trouble shooting...Had random boost fooling issues with the Boost Fooler (these problems have existed since November...and I have spent numerous phone calls to Roark about it...i could not figure out a pattern to my issues, nor could he. We are now on boost fooler #3)

You told me one way to check my XZT...and I replied to you in PM that i do not have a voltage meter and had another idea...the use of a resistor.....the stuff clearly wasn't working for me so i changed the boost fooler to the SP and amazing i find out what had been going on...some goofy half limp mode apparently. I now feel full power in the upper RPM band where it was apparently defueling before...or something wasn't happening right.

the whole hang up at 22psi IS NOT occuring on my truck. Quoted from C:
For further testing purposes, i installed this (SP) product on my buddy's 06. (Bullydog Crazy Larry on a stock turbo, has same boost fooling issues i do with Quad products) He played with it for an afternoon. he says it hangs at 22psi for second then releases to mid 40's and EGTs cool as they should. He didn't like the hesitation at 22psi....like i said it was only a afternoon and i was not there to speak first hand.
Quad I like ya...i like your company...i have nothing against you...but to date the SP beta boost fooler works better on my truck than your boost fooling devices.

You can bet my XZT will be in the mail tommorrow....I'd love to keep up the relationship i have with your company.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 AM

about trouble shooting...Had random boost fooling issues with the Boost Fooler (these problems have existed since November...and I have spent numerous phone calls to Roark about it...i could not figure out a pattern to my issues, nor could he. We are now on boost fooler #3)

You told me one way to check my XZT...and I replied to you in PM that i do not have a voltage meter and had another idea...the use of a resistor.....the stuff clearly wasn't working for me so i changed the boost fooler to the SP and amazing i find out what had been going on...some goofy half limp mode apparently. I now feel full power in the upper RPM band where it was apparently defueling before...or something wasn't happening right.

the whole hang up at 22psi IS NOT occuring on my truck. Quoted from

Quad I like ya...i like your company...i have nothing against you...but to date the SP beta boost fooler works better on my truck than your boost fooling devices.

You can bet my XZT will be in the mail tommorrow....I'd love to keep up the relationship i have with your company.
Who could pattern anything with your truck! I think it would be a universal guess in many ways.

Also you need to understand, I really do not care if you use my boost fooler, sp's boost fooler, or no boost fooler. Really the boost fooler thing in general impacts me like something that happens in antartica. I simply did it to help people out and give them something useful. We don't sell direct and trust me by the time $79 gets divided up through distribution, it is hardly worth the man power to produce, test, package and ship the darn things. It was simple for us to do and I saw a need for it.

I do a LOT of this stuff because I personally like it and enjoy this as a hobby like many of you do. Sometimes things work out better for me because of it and sometimes I create my own headaches because of it!

All I want to do is help a couple of you make your trucks run properly. That is why I spent the time to send detailed testing instructions to actually find the issue that is happening, not just make a bunch of guesses. Even if I figure it out, I am not changing anything. The current product works flawless on 99.9% of all the tunes with the Scary Lary being hit or miss on a handful of trucks, mostly in your group. I am very happy to custom do some stuff on this as you helped us test and I really enjoy you and your buddies enthusiasm. I simply just want to help out.

Where it gets frustrating for me is that in all of this I save all the pm's. When I go back and read it through them, you are right there is no pattern or 1 particular issue. REsults and problems change like the wind. That to me is frustrating as I simply want to fix or create something new to make it work for you. Nothing more nothing less.

Now, as you seem to have noticed the problem when stacked with the XZT and the boost fooler are the same. As I have said many times the boost fooler is identical to the XZT when it comes to boost fooling. With that said it is easy for me to modify the XZT because it has a microcontroller and I can simply change software up and not hardware. The XZT has much more complicated and sophisticated hardware on the boost fooling circuit because we can and do use it for a lot more than just boost fooling.

So lets get it back and try something and see what happens.

Quad

Quick Reply: Bullydog TD doesn't like boost foolers