3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bullydog TD doesn't like boost foolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullydog TD doesn't like boost foolers

I have tried the standard Quadzilla boost fooler and the XZT. I will lose power with either one of these units installed with the Bullydog TD. I must say I am very impressed with the XZT just by itself, but put it with the Bullydog and it seems like the BD software goes into some sort of limp mode. I am thinking about just dumping the Bullydog stuff and getting either the Quad race box or a TST r49 box. Since I don't have any money right now and my transmission really needs some upgrades it could be a while before this happens.

Is it possible that an earlier version of the Bullydog software might work better? Any ideas appreciated...... Thanks, Tom J.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigJohnston
I have tried the standard Quadzilla boost fooler and the XZT. I will lose power with either one of these units installed with the Bullydog TD. I must say I am very impressed with the XZT just by itself, but put it with the Bullydog and it seems like the BD software goes into some sort of limp mode. I am thinking about just dumping the Bullydog stuff and getting either the Quad race box or a TST r49 box. Since I don't have any money right now and my transmission really needs some upgrades it could be a while before this happens.

Is it possible that an earlier version of the Bullydog software might work better? Any ideas appreciated...... Thanks, Tom J.
Nope...i have tried them all. 2.2.7 (scary larry and crazy larry), 2.3.0, 2.3.2, etc.

You're on the right track...its in the Bullydog programing not the Quadzilla stuff. I've spoke with Quad about this several times.

I'm comtemplating changing downloaders to the Diablo 200hp tune....or PPE HOT.

really nothing else to do.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Thanks for some validation. Everyone keeps telling me that I am wrong or there is something wrong with my truck.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

Thanks for some validation. Everyone keeps telling me that I am wrong or there is something wrong with my truck.
member "Boarbuster" has the same problem on his 06. We are trying a second boost fooler on his truck...but my XZT still acts up on mine. With my turbo, it causes overboost codes and goes into the limp mode thing you are talking about.

this is only the 3rd instance of this happening to my knowledge....and me and Roark at Quadzilla talk about this frequently.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:03 PM

It must be an 06 thing because my 03 doesn't have the same issues. I am running a Quad Race and BDTD. Runs great all maxed out or pared down. I leave the BDTD on extreme and change the Quad on the fly.

Andy
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by realsquash
It must be an 06 thing because my 03 doesn't have the same issues. I am running a Quad Race and BDTD. Runs great all maxed out or pared down. I leave the BDTD on extreme and change the Quad on the fly.

Andy
my 05 does it too. Boost fooling just quits working sometimes when you stab the throttle...stab it again and sometimes it works...you never know.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM

knock on wood I have never had any probs. love it and will not change it unless something else comes up that works better.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 PM

I had absolutely zero problems running the Quad Boost fooler and the Bullydog Triple dog.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM

i have had mine quad boost fooler on now for about 6 months and i havent had a single problem yet
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM

So why does it work on some and not on others? Is there a fix to get it to work on mine?

Will Bullydog even admit that there is a problem or explain what the problem is?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

So why does it work on some and not on others? Is there a fix to get it to work on mine?

Will Bullydog even admit that there is a problem or explain what the problem is?
Bullydog blames Quadzilla...surprise surprise. My MP8 did the same thing...so unless Quadzilla and TS boost fool the same way, the Bullydog is in the wrong.

Quad explained this once to me...let me look it up.

I do not see how the boost fooler could work and then not work. The circuit is advanced but simple and it is basically fail proof as there is nothing that can really die.

My only thought is that BD is doing some really weird tuning or they are not sure what they are really doing in the tuning. If they are guessing there could be a lot of stupid little things that happen! I know because we program on the Duramax's the same way.

For example there might be 3 fueling maps that the computer uses. With those maps 1 might be based off of boost and coolant. The next might be off of rpm and coolant and the 3rd might be off of intake air temp and coolant. If they do something without knowing exactly what they are doing the truck may act one way in a certain condition and another when it cools off or warms up.

Also they might have some programs based in boost and others that are not. When we fool the boost maybe the program will not fuel to its full potential?

It could be a hundred things and it really makes it tougher if you use a lot of different programs as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:56 PM

I don't know how either can blame anyone. They don't get together and design these things to work with eachothers products. I don't think anyone is in the business of making money for a competitor
Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 PM

I put my boost fooler on a couple days ago and it hit 48psi like everyone claims. then the next time I drove my trk it would get but 30 maybe, like it reset itself or something. I got and checked to see if it was still hooked up and it was fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 973604x4
Nope...i have tried them all. 2.2.7 (scary larry and crazy larry), 2.3.0, 2.3.2, etc.

You're on the right track...its in the Bullydog programing not the Quadzilla stuff. I've spoke with Quad about this several times.

I'm comtemplating changing downloaders to the Diablo 200hp tune....or PPE HOT.

really nothing else to do.
I thought you liked the scary larry?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Man i hope i dont have these problems with mine! I lost the boost fooling on my MP-8. I can only pull 20 boost so i bought the quad boost fooler hope it works. Man these 06s are kind of strange but in a good way

Quick Reply: Bullydog TD doesn't like boost foolers