3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BullyDog/ez stack with SPS62/14, Will I need a boost fooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BullyDog/ez stack with SPS62/14, Will I need a boost fooler?

I've started down a slippery slope. I bought the 06 in my sig as a temporary fill in while took the time to rebuild my rolled 04.5. I had planned on rebuilding my 04.5 in April, but I wound up working all month instead of getting time off during spring break up.

To make matters worse, I tore out my tranny last month running the Bullydog that came with the truck. Since I just happened to be in Edmonton at the time I had NADP install their Heavy Hauler Race Series tranny. Since I now had a tranny that's good for 800hp, I upgraded to the crazy Larry tune for the BD, and swiped my edge ez off my 04.5 and stacked it with the BullyDog. As you can imagine this is quite the toasty combination..... So yesterday I picked up a slightly used SPS62/14 turbo.

I was very happy with this turbo on my 04.5, and both the S04 smarty and juice did boost fooling, so I had no problems with boost codes. I know the BullyDog doesn't do boost fooling, but I was wondering if the ez does?

Is anyone running a BullyDog/ez stack with an aftermarket turbo?
Does this combination throw boost codes without a boost fooler?

If not I guess I'll have to buy a boost fooler, but I've noticed there is a smarty in the classifieds that will do my boost fooling for me. If I'm going to spend money on a boost fooler, I might as well spend a few more bucks and get the smarty.....

I know it's kind of too late to be economical, but I don't want to dump anymore money or time into this truck then I have to. No offense to anyone with an automatic, but driving a Cummins with the auto, even a built auto sucks. I miss the 6 speed in my 04.5 every time I drive the 06. I have to stop somewhere and I hope the BullyDog/ez will be a good enough stack.

I'm really trying to resist the temptation of a Smarty, as I know it will just lead to spending more money. (lift pumps, CP3's, etc)
Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 PM

im pretty sure the ez does boost fooling. I think it'll be a good combination for you.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM

I was running the Bullydog and EZ, and with my new turbo, 62/65/13ss, I still get an overboost code. I then switched to the Smarty, and occasionally get the code, but it's not in limp mode. My turbo is set at 40 lbs. of boost.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM

Don't think the EZ boost fools on the 4.5+. I know mine doesn't on my 06. Bullydog PMT and tripple dog didn't boost fool for me, and the truck would go into limp mode. Buddy is supposed to be fixing that sometime. My smarty doesn't go into limp mode when the overboost code goes.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Going through the same problem as you are right now. Just stacked the EZ with my Smarty. The EZ does NOT boost fool. I will throw a overboost code at around 32-34psi everytime. The Smarty will boost fool, but only up to around 41psi or so. For guys with aftermarket turbos that are wanting 50, 60 psi plus we have to use a seperate boost fooler. Maybe some other boxes/chips will do it but I know for sure my EZ and Smarty wont. I had a boost fooler on my truck prior to putting the EZ on last weekend and I could get 50+psi. I need to figure out hoe to use the EZ with my boost fooler since they both use the MAP sensor. Any ideas how to hook up the boost fooler with the EZ?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Diggie
I was running the Bullydog and EZ, and with my new turbo, 62/65/13ss, I still get an overboost code. I then switched to the Smarty, and occasionally get the code, but it's not in limp mode. My turbo is set at 40 lbs. of boost.

Yep you are right at the limit of what the Smarty will do for you which explains why you will occasionally throw a code. Your boost is set so close (40psi) to what the limit is 41psi. 41psi is the highest the factory map sensor will read and is also all the smarty can do for you. Man you definitely need a boost fooler with that turbo. You could get 45-50psi out of that easily...