3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

bully dog WatchDog Economy Monitor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bully dog WatchDog Economy Monitor???

bully dog WatchDog Economy Monitor, are they worth the price? I see that you have to buy a seperate Pyro gauge set up for the system.

I have the bullydog trippledog programer, but want gauges for the pyro/egt, fuel pressure and boost.

Is it worth the "econo programer" or just to install the individual gauges?

thanks,
usmc5593
Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM

I am looking at the watchdog too, and was wondering the same thing. Is it worth it? Does it cover all the things I need, trans, boost, rail pressure?

I see you have to add the pyro stuff but does it give you a read out on all the rest?

If anyone can chime in on this it would be helpfull.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM

I really thought about getting one and decided against it for a couple reasons:

Pyro is separate... only cost $150...no thanks
Boost is limited to 38psi because it is read off the map sensor
Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 PM

I am still undecided, however I like the idea of having the ability to switch modes and operations from different readings
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM

Just ordered the watchdog through larry with DTR store. Think im going to be very happy with it.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 PM

cool let us know how it works out, with pics and all. Did you have to buy the extra pyro gauge setup?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM

ryan just get the monitor. make sure you get black. candus will have to return it 4 u
Old 06-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Ya an extra 130, suck, but you only have to do it once. Right after I get it we are headed to Cali for a week, towing our Fifth Wheel. I am getting this just in time, Im curious to see how it works and what the temps are.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the electronic monitors will display essentially the same data. Whatever the ECU monitors can be displayed on the screen. Since it's collecting data from the ECU, there are some limitations. All of them monitor EGT with a probe - which always costs more. AFAIK, the dodge ECU does not monitor EGT's.

The big gimmick with the Watchdog is that it monitors your driving habits, and "coaches" you to make changes to save fuel. I don't find that feature very helpfull. I don't need a fancy machine to tell to keep the boost low, or coast more often. I already know that.

The screen has some neat displays. That also makes it rather large. But some of those displays are duplicating what's already in front of you. Do you really need a digital graphic tachometer? What about a water temp gauge? My truck already has them in the dash, no sense repeating it.

Same thing with info like MPG and DTE. I already have a driver info center, so don't need to repeat it. The Watchdog gets the info from the same source, so it will be just as accurate as the DIC.

It has a lot of features that will be fun to play with. But soon you'll set it to monitor certain critical functions - like trans temp and EGT's. And then you'll never touch it again. All those cool features will sit there unused.

I prefer the Outlook Monitor. It's smaller, simpler, and easy to use. It doesn't have a lot of features that I would never use. Oddly enough, it's a lot more expensive than the Watchdog. But I bought mine used for a really good price.

Which is better? I think for most drivers the Outlook is better. But for the lower price, I'd get the Watchdog. Features would be wasted, but I'd save money.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM

ryan get the watchdog. what days u have off in july again? do u like D crew?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Let get some pics of installs and reviews
Old 07-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Ok, well i got the watchdog on tuesday and have not screwing around with it.

First comment: Im less than impressed, by what they say it will do and what it actually does.

Example: Does not read Rail pressure, trans temp, intake temp.

This is in a 06 5.9L.

I will post later what it actually does, im still trying to figure out if its worth it to me to keep it. As I use it, I like the color screen and display. The quality of the monitor is great to me, easy to use, simply just plug into the port and go. The screen in rather small, only about two to three inches. I can read it fine, but my dad has troubles seeing the smaller print. It easily switches to a white back ground to a black background for day or night. It has numerous different ways to display the value, bar graph, needle or just digital numbers.

Has a performance monitor to 1/4 mile times etc, thats cool to screw around with.... i never knew my times before. BTW I got 18.1 sec with 90 mph in 1/4 mile time from a dead stop low idle. I was impressed.

For younger guys or techie guys its a cool gadget, just doesnt do everything i want it to, mainly the trans temp.

Ill try to post pics and write more about it later.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Buy a Scout from the DTR store and run it. We have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and see if it does what you want.

I will not argue that the color screen is a little nicer than just an LCD screen but, the Scout screen is huge compared to the one you have.

It also will do all the things you want it to and more including the trans temp, trans slip, IAT and Rail Pressure. It also does 0-60 and 1/4 mile times complete with 60' and 1/8 mile times included.

Very feature rich and probably less money.