3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully dog triple downloader questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully dog triple downloader questions

My son bought my husband a bullydog triple dog downloader for christmas. I know he was thinking about getting something before we started towing our tt next summer. I like to do research on stuff like this and some of the things I have seen I do not like. We have a 2003 ctd 3500 quad cab. Bought it with 45,000 last september. We also took out an extended warrentee. He is thinking that this is somethting that can be removed so no one can tell we have one(as to void the warrentee) after doing some research I am not sure this is the case. Is it safe to use. Please help before he opens the package. LOL thanks

We tow 5 to 6 times a season approx 2 to 5 hours away. THe truck can tow the trailer alright(30ft approx 7800lbs) but he was looking for a little more torque out of the gate and for hills and such. He has a chip in his f 150 along with a cold air intake, headers and lots of other custom mods. He does love to modify his vehicles but never has used downloaders before. He also does not do research like I do , hence the reason I am posting this.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:53 PM

you should be ok in the tow mode.. but before id put a chip or downloader on my truck i would definitely have guages, just as safety precaution...
Old 12-25-2006, 09:12 PM

The bullydog is traceable, some dealerships are mod friendly some arent, there are people on here that have had hell with Dodge dealers voiding warrenties, i have never had problems with any of the 24 trucks i have owned and modded, but i havent ever kept one past 30k, if you are worried about warrenty you need to talk to your dealer, some wont care some will, the dealer i deal with sells bullydog and will warrenty trucks with them. Dowloaders are more dangerous than that an under the hood chip or module and very traceable. The most popular chips (not downloaders) on here are Edge and Quadzilla, in my opinon the best thing to get for what you are looking for is an Edge EZ it is 65hp and is very smooth through the power band, other people like the Quad XZT it is also rated at 65hp. I have had several of both and have had problems with the Quadzilla and never had a problem with an Edge. I have probably had 15 Edge Products and 3 Quadzillas and have had connection problems on 2 out of 3. Quadzilla by far has the best customer service thought and they will make it right
Old 12-25-2006, 09:18 PM

Also

The Bullydog is a very good downloader that makes very good power and the people that have them love them, all i am saying is they are traceable and it you bought an extended warrenty and dont want to risk it stay with and under the hood module like and Edge Ez or a Quad, they really arent traceable, but if someone was really good they could probalbey dig deep enought to tell that something has been boosted higher than stock values, but there are not many DC Service employees bright enough to figure it out, everytime i have ever talked to one i know more than they do
Old 12-25-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your husband needs to take a few lessons from the wife on researching things. There is always a potential to have warranty problems with any performance mod. Like stated above some dealers are more willing to ignore or not look for mods and some are not. If DC gets involved in major engine failure they will always look. There is also some small percentage of users of all the downloaders that have issues, most of those are corrected by the downloader manufacturer without major problems. A small number do wind up with major issues, but the number compared with the number of downloaders in use is really very small.

The lastest version of the Bully Dog Triple Dog seems to be very solid and have no where near the issues that earlier versions did. Tow mode should not be any problem for your towing needs, but EGT gauge is always recommended when using performance mods especially when towing.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Chapter President

i love the bully dog for towing...just have to have gauges. sometimes they will just spike or do crazy things without you knowing it
Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 AM

I have run my Triple Dog since i got it in September of last year and I love it for towing my boat and car hauler i just got the outlook in April of this year and my temps have never gone above 1100 when pulling my boat in the tow mode.