3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully Dog Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
KKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HeberRam, I was thinking the same thing. If the bullydog could change it so easily by using an upgraded triple dog then that would be too easy IMO. Hopefully Bob and Marco will be able to help me out of this predicament when they are less busy. I think Clint with bullydog said that using the triple dog to get an American software # would reset the key cycles. I don't really want that.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM

So I can get on the same page here and maybe understand a little of this Brazilian codeing stuff corectly what tool is being used to check that referance number at the dealer just the Chrysler DRB service scan tool or the update flashing tool, is this a mode 6 thing or what?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:09 PM

does the triple dog do boost fooling?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
KKB

wazz, I have no idea how the dealer can check for the Brazilian software. I just used the Smarty and when I tried to download one of the SW levels it said error unknown software. I held #5 and plugged into the truck and then released #5 and it shows the ecm data # which was 25325373AA if I am remembering correctly. Which Bob Wagner had told me was the Brazilian software.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:05 AM

Yup, that was the number that was in my ecm from the ppe and I got the same "unknown software". That is definately it. Bob and Marco can help though, they did me.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM

huh ok thanks for posting up the number, think I remember seeing a number like that when I pluged in the Power Pup not sure I will look closer next time for it.
The school I help out at sometimes, they have a resently updated DRB (factory scan tool for Chrysler) and IM courious to see whats thats going to show me.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 PM

Thumbs up

Wazz, the OB scanner will tell you the ECM part # like the one KKB discribed. However, it will not tell you if it is an american or Brazilian. The dealer has a menu on their Star system screen that lists the part numbers, and update numbers on the left side, and on the right side the Brazilian/Argentinian. Whenever, the dealer updates (flashes) your ECM, it will change the last letter on the part number to a higher one. That way they can tell what has previously been flashed. There are different #'s for auto's and manuals. The dealer can not override a Brazilian part # with an American part # or vice versa. I don't know the difference between the American and brazilian software, it may have to due with emmissions. If you are only going to run BD downloaders and never plan on getting any dealer updates(flashes) the Brazilian part# (software) won't hurt you if you have it. The dealer does not have the ability to change the part #'s, and only can set them with a brand new ECM. Even with new ECM's the dealer has to be careful to assign them the right part # for either an auto or manual. If he puts an ECM part # for an auto and installs it into a manual it will get all screwed up. If he does this, he can't change the auto to a manual. He will have to get a brand new ECM and start over. So I doubt that BD can correct the problem without getting a new ECM and have it programed for the correct vehicle. Marco is smart enough to do this and has done it for me.

KKB, just wait the wait it will all be worth it in the end.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by rockittboy
does the triple dog do boost fooling?

When I was running the TrippleDog my boost pressure never got above stock. So I would say no.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 PM

I did Bully Dog's "try before you buy" promo. My dash looked like a christmas tree. I figured, no big deal, they'd be gone when the program expired 3 days later. NADA. I had to go to the Bully Dog dealer and it took 3 tries and a couple phone calls to Bully Dog to get them to go away.
Do you think there are traces left from the BD unit ?

PS: What does Reflash & Key Count mean???
Excuse my ignorance, this is my first diesel.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM
KKB

Fishhog, a reflash is what a dealer does to the ecm which will change some of the parameters around within the ecm. Key cycles are how many times your truck has been turned on and off. The early power pups would erase the key cycles when you change power levels or when you go back to stock. So if you were going to a dealer for warranty work and you have 20,000 miles on your truck, and just reset it to stock with an early powerpup a day or two before going to the dealer, if they look for the key cycles and it only shows 3 or 4 with that many miles they will know you had done something with the truck and could void warranty.From what I have been told the newer triple dogs took care of that problem.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:23 PM

KKB brings up a good point about the key cycles

This is how it has been explained to me and has been backed up some by what I have red about it.

To reflash is kind of like updating a Windows operating system on your computer but instead you’re hooked up to the computer in the truck and for car computers IM told once it flash is installed its a 1 way trip.

Basically as a tech you would go to the MFG web site (if you’re an independent shop) you would pay for your 24hr usage to there site. At that time, you compare version numbers like version 7.6 and version 8.1 is available, you would download the update, then it updates the rig accordingly (from what I understand there is no explanations givin as to what it is/was that you are installing other then it is a later version then what you had.

I have also been told a couple of times now that once you update you can never return to a previous flash setting so its stuck there for ever or until the next set of reflashes are available if they deside to change it again. Keep in mind what IM talking about is for the manufactures flashes.

IM not sure if all like that or not. I do understand that allot of manufactures sell new blank cell chips you install into the vehicles main drivetrain computer and at that point you can upload a previous setting ONLY if you have it stored somewhere because the MFG only offers the latest one (least that’s what IM told I haven’t actualy seen the process yet).

This is how I believe it works by talking with others in the automotive field.
I good example of adding a crappy update is this one reflash I heard about all of a sudden the rig now honks your horn when it is put into reverse (how would you like that at 5am in a neighborhood), and then the dealer that installed the MFG flash then cant remove it.

Key count would be just as it sounds the computer keeps track of how many key cycles have been seen, I can think of many reasons this could be useful. Figure compare 2 used 2004 trucks they have the same number of miles say 50,000 and one has a key count of 8000 and 1 has a key count of 800 it makes it pretty easy to tell what type of conditions the truck has seen in that 50,000 miles. Then figure if the dealer logs the info and all of a sudden between visits you key cycles dropped, it makes it pretty easy to tell something looks fishy. I don’t know for sure but things like that I would think are why they would want to keep track of it, I would bet before long it will be part of what you see on a CarFAX report.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Ok I am done with the Pup. How do I get rid of the bad software? I am going to the dealer tomorrow for a new window and get them to do the update for the long crank time.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by fishhog
I did Bully Dog's "try before you buy" promo. My dash looked like a christmas tree. I figured, no big deal, they'd be gone when the program expired 3 days later. NADA. I had to go to the Bully Dog dealer and it took 3 tries and a couple phone calls to Bully Dog to get them to go away.
Do you think there are traces left from the BD unit ?
By christmas tree you probably meen your Brake and ABS warning lights were on?

I came across this to shut them off it goes like this:

1. Run the DTC function for the programer select to clear codes even if it dosent claim there are any.

2. Start the vehicle 4 times

3. If on the 5th time restarting it the lights are still on then drive in reverse for at least 30ft (mine took around 50ft)

4. Light should be out.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Any programmer can put any file, including preset data like Key Cycles and Fuel Used. If you can put the brazilian software in, it's just going the other direction to take it out.

From what I hear for the most part if your file ends with a 7. EG. 537.3Ax, 527.3Ax then it is the brazilian file. If it ends in 5, like 535.3Ax it's the regular automatic file.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 AM

I dropped off my truck this morning to the dealer and I told them exactly what I did and that I was sending the Pup back. They told me not to worry about it and they will do what they need to do to make the computer back to stock & do it under warranty. Nothing better than a good DEALER!

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Question