3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully Dog Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLB & Maddog just hang in there...been there done that and now it's fixed. Just "chill" til they have time...Marco feels that BD should take care of their own problems and I couldn't agree more, however I could not get BD to admit they did it to my truck. I found out about this problem more than a year ago and I couldn't get one other person to confirm they had a simular problem as no one else tried to load another downloader. You will never know if you have the Brazilian program unless you try to change to another downloader other than BD. It appears, the orginal BD power pups pre- loaded with the crazy larry program were the main coruptors. The new triple dogs won't do it however, will accept the brazilian software and load. It will not change it back to the American #. As more and more people try new downloaders, this problem will surface even more. It's a virus that will spread, as unknowing sellers and buyers of these orginal power-pups will infect more vehicles. That's why, I won't sell my old power pup. I think BD has tried hard to ignor the problem and hoped it would go away. I don't think they ever knew the magnitude of the problem would ever surface, and that other competitors downloaders would bring it up. I don't think they have the tech knowledge that Marco does on how to fix these problems and looked at how many new ECM's they would have to buy $$$$$$s' to fix it. My advise is not to buy used or new BD power pups. I often wonder if it was a BD marketing ploy to cover up the problem, buy having their new downloaders accept the Brazilian part #'s and load. There-by if a user was having problems loading a competitors downloader, just say "ours are better" use a BD? Or better yet " Tri before you buy"???? The truth is out there somewhere?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 PM

not happy with my triple dog and outlook either. ok power, hardly ANY smoke on extreme and the real noticable power only kicks in at WOT above 2500rpms. and i have the 555 so no crazy larry for me. this is my second one too...first setup didnt work at all. shoulda coulda woulda i guess
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by rockittboy
not happy with my triple dog and outlook either. ok power, hardly ANY smoke on extreme and the real noticable power only kicks in at WOT above 2500rpms. and i have the 555 so no crazy larry for me. this is my second one too...first setup didnt work at all. shoulda coulda woulda i guess
My triple dog was no shining star on my 305/555 either, but it did kick butt on my 06. I'm not using it anymore though.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 AM

newbe

Hey guys
Here is some info I have on the Bully Dog Power Pup and Outlook w/Crazy Larry addition.
A few weeks ago I bought a used 1-04 3500 4x4 AT 600 w/5" non CAT exhaust and open element AF (my 1st inner-cooled diesel) I was stoked! And I thought "COOL" it even comes with a Bully Dog model 42571 = Power Pup and Outlook monitor.

IM new here so for the record I am not a complete newbie at working on cars/trucks (ASE MT w/L1, shop owner, and sometimes a part time instructor at the local community college auto shop).

My experience with BD has been not very good "so far" (keep in mind this is most likely an older experimental 42571 model "Crazy Larry addition" I don’t think they even sell any more.

When I bought the truck it was on the stock uploaded setting and set at 0%. I at the time did not know what was good bad or ugly for EGT's & Boost PSI's. After I got home I started to play around and uploaded the "Performance" setting (stage 3 of 4) and set the Outlook at 50% on the monitor (unloaded). So I took it for a spin on level road and found that in less then a 1/8th mile the EGT's were over 1400*F and the Boost was up to 31PSI so I could see the defuel took over and knocked it down to 0% like its supposed to (set to defuel at 1250*F) and the EGT's still stayed high. So I tried it again but started at 0% and got almost the same results. I tried it in "Tow" mode with very similar results.

I called BD help line and believe it or not that bone head I ended up with on the phone proceeded to tell me my EGT sensor being mounted in the manifold was to close to the head" (& that I could see as a possibility) but then he told me I should mount it in the pipe between the inner-cooler and the turbo.

Knowing better then to do that, I called again later that day and luckily got someone new on the phone & he said to mount the EGT "Post turbo (between turbo and muffler 3-6"s from the turbo" (keep in mind IM new to these inner cooled TD's but I had no problem with that idea it seems like a good place for it to me?).
He then told me that on the 04's he sets the defuel for that location at 1325*F (that still seems like kinda high EGT's to me but he is the tech rep.).

While I had him on the phone I asked him what kind of boost PSI would I find on a "non Crazy Larry" cause I didn’t believe that was the whole problem of the system and he wasn’t sure but thought around "24LB's" he also claimed I can not update my current BD Power Pup with any of the latest software, and if I wanted to get rid of the Crazy Larry I would need to purchase a new Power Pup at retail price period..

So a little disgruntled over the situation and not looking forward to funding any more of there unsupported product (that may have similar results), I decided to call again later that day and I happened to get to talk to a 3ed tech person (a different new guy). He sounded more knowledgable about my Crazy Larry situation and offered for me to send back the Power Pup and he would install different latest software (non Crazy Larry stuff) for $50.

At that point I asked about updates and even though it has a USB port, it will still be unable to update from any downloads from the internet because it is a Power Pup and not a Triple Dog, But he claims this "should" fix my over boost hopefully fixing the EGT's, and with any luck also might fix the Outlook monitor that randomly likes to go dim to blank when ever it feels like it.

Anyway this has been my experience with BD equipment and Tech support in the last week.

Honestly I have to play fair and will say, it was very close to Christmas and IM sure the "regular" tech guys were probably on vacation.

At this point IM crossing my fingers that the new software works like it’s supposed to.
My .02 on Bully Dog
Oh yeah I also found the outlook is not very easy to read day or night and that stupid joy-stick makes it very easy to mess up the settings..
Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Jme

what kind of dealer updates are you talking about?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 AM

Wazz....spend some time reading here on EGT probe locations and max EGT's, I'm sure you will learn much before you need to contact Bullydog again. Too bad about the outlook though...I find that joystick very convenient to use and don't have issues with reading it day or night. The outlooks have been upgraded as well, perhaps check your version number when you turn it on and see what is the latest from Bullydog.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM

The Power Pup weren't adjustable on the fly. The scale on the side was only meant for defuel, not adjusting. If you started at 0% the computer on your truck thought the MAP sensor read 0 boost (like it was shorted to ground).

I'm sure thats why you got an underboost code. With the pups you are supposed to leave them on 100% then wait until it defuels to prevent high egt's.

Originally Posted by wazz
Hey guys
Here is some info I have on the Bully Dog Power Pup and Outlook w/Crazy Larry addition.
A few weeks ago I bought a used 1-04 3500 4x4 AT 600 w/5" non CAT exhaust and open element AF (my 1st inner-cooled diesel) I was stoked! And I thought "COOL" it even comes with a Bully Dog model 42571 = Power Pup and Outlook monitor.

IM new here so for the record I am not a complete newbie at working on cars/trucks (ASE MT w/L1, shop owner, and sometimes a part time instructor at the local community college auto shop).

My experience with BD has been not very good "so far" (keep in mind this is most likely an older experimental 42571 model "Crazy Larry addition" I don’t think they even sell any more.

When I bought the truck it was on the stock uploaded setting and set at 0%. I at the time did not know what was good bad or ugly for EGT's & Boost PSI's. After I got home I started to play around and uploaded the "Performance" setting (stage 3 of 4) and set the Outlook at 50% on the monitor (unloaded). So I took it for a spin on level road and found that in less then a 1/8th mile the EGT's were over 1400*F and the Boost was up to 31PSI so I could see the defuel took over and knocked it down to 0% like its supposed to (set to defuel at 1250*F) and the EGT's still stayed high. So I tried it again but started at 0% and got almost the same results. I tried it in "Tow" mode with very similar results.

I called BD help line and believe it or not that bone head I ended up with on the phone proceeded to tell me my EGT sensor being mounted in the manifold was to close to the head" (& that I could see as a possibility) but then he told me I should mount it in the pipe between the inner-cooler and the turbo.

Knowing better then to do that, I called again later that day and luckily got someone new on the phone & he said to mount the EGT "Post turbo (between turbo and muffler 3-6"s from the turbo" (keep in mind IM new to these inner cooled TD's but I had no problem with that idea it seems like a good place for it to me?).
He then told me that on the 04's he sets the defuel for that location at 1325*F (that still seems like kinda high EGT's to me but he is the tech rep.).

While I had him on the phone I asked him what kind of boost PSI would I find on a "non Crazy Larry" cause I didn’t believe that was the whole problem of the system and he wasn’t sure but thought around "24LB's" he also claimed I can not update my current BD Power Pup with any of the latest software, and if I wanted to get rid of the Crazy Larry I would need to purchase a new Power Pup at retail price period..

So a little disgruntled over the situation and not looking forward to funding any more of there unsupported product (that may have similar results), I decided to call again later that day and I happened to get to talk to a 3ed tech person (a different new guy). He sounded more knowledgable about my Crazy Larry situation and offered for me to send back the Power Pup and he would install different latest software (non Crazy Larry stuff) for $50.

At that point I asked about updates and even though it has a USB port, it will still be unable to update from any downloads from the internet because it is a Power Pup and not a Triple Dog, But he claims this "should" fix my over boost hopefully fixing the EGT's, and with any luck also might fix the Outlook monitor that randomly likes to go dim to blank when ever it feels like it.

Anyway this has been my experience with BD equipment and Tech support in the last week.

Honestly I have to play fair and will say, it was very close to Christmas and IM sure the "regular" tech guys were probably on vacation.

At this point IM crossing my fingers that the new software works like it’s supposed to.
My .02 on Bully Dog
Oh yeah I also found the outlook is not very easy to read day or night and that stupid joy-stick makes it very easy to mess up the settings..
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JME
what kind of dealer updates are you talking about?
Bully Dog offers updateable software for some of there units found here http://www.bullydog.com/Download_Center.php at least that’s what it looks like to me I could be wrong about that.

Originally Posted by Smokeman
Wazz....spend some time reading here on EGT probe locations and max EGT's, I'm sure you will learn much before you need to contact Bullydog again. Too bad about the outlook though...I find that joystick very convenient to use and don't have issues with reading it day or night. The outlooks have been upgraded as well, perhaps check your version number when you turn it on and see what is the latest from Bullydog.

Thanks Smokeman,
Just by freak chance this week I happened to have a Dodge turbo nut come thru my shop the other day (so I can work on his Toyota) and he was telling me to mount it back on #5-6 cylinders rather then #3 where it is now because of a difference of how the cylinders are in relation to the fuel they get from the pump or something like that, basically said to put the pyro in the manifold close to the firewall sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I had been wondering if the Outlook monitors were updated with a better back light (the pictures they show on there site look brighter), the last tech rep I had talked to said they were all the same thanks for clarifying that they are not all the same.

Originally Posted by Armapoc
The Power Pup weren't adjustable on the fly. The scale on the side was only meant for defuel, not adjusting. If you started at 0% the computer on your truck thought the MAP sensor read 0 boost (like it was shorted to ground).

Armapoc
I believe you are referring to the Outlook, and yes the previous owner claimed it is NOT adjustable “on the fly”. He said the settings will only change after a key cycle.
IM a little familiar with MAP sensors and IM pretty sure the Dodge diesel is like most all cars they are based off of a frequency Hertz like this
I haven’t ever heard of a MAP being “shorted to ground” to change the fuel mixture more likely they would be modifying the number of hertz in relation to the load being seen unless this system is way different then what IM used to seeing.
Thanks for the tip about leaving it at 100% for it to correctly defuel when it needs to. When I get my Power Pup back I will try it that way 1st.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:40 PM
KKB

I am still waiting patiently. I have not heard anything from Bob or Marco, but I contacted a guy with bullydog, who e-mailed me back promptly and said they might be able to help. I will let you guys know of any further progress.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:56 PM

The MAP also reads boost pressure...not just atmosprehric. LOL

Is there an altitude equal to 101.8 in HG? 70,000 feet below sea level...

It probably gets nice and toasty down there!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by wazz
Hey guys

My .02 on Bully Dog

Bully dog obviously has NO idea what they are talking about!! STOCK boost on our trucks is anywhere from 27-33psi, depending on altitude, air temp and so forth. 1325*F Post pyro egt's will melt your engine!!! The turbine of the turbo charger removes heat from the exhaust gases and some guys on here running 2 pyro's (1 pre and 1 post turbo) have seen upto 500* differences. 1325+500=1825*F . These engines can handle 1300-1400 *F pretty easily, and 1600*F For very short bursts (under 10 sec). So your setup is sounding pretty reasonable too me!!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by KKB
I am still waiting patiently. I have not heard anything from Bob or Marco, but I contacted a guy with bullydog, who e-mailed me back promptly and said they might be able to help. I will let you guys know of any further progress.
Did you e-mail Steven?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM
KKB

Inferno, I e-mailed Clint @ Bullydog, and I just got off of the phone with him. He said I could borrow somebody's triple dog with version 2.1.0 or newer version and download it and take it back to stock and it would get rid of the Argentinian/Brazilian software. I believe he said by doing so it would erase key cycles though. I am not sure if I want to erase keycycles, so I will wait a while and see what Bob and Marco have to say about it.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
KKB

One other quick thing. Clint with bullydog e-mailed me very quickly and then called me and talked to me for about 15 minutes explaining the Brazilian software to me. So if anyone needs to talk to a very knowledgeable guy at bullydog, Clint is your man.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:52 PM

KKB, For your sake, I hope he is right. I tried it with the triple dog and it didn't work for me. The Brazilian part number will end in AB or AA I believe. I don't see how just loading the triple dog will change the part number? We (Marco) had to write a special program, to force feed the ECM to change to a designated American part #. My experience with the Bullydog programers is that they will read the current part# load and when you returned to the stock setting will show the same part # you started with. So in that regard you haven't changed anything. The ECM part # when we talk about American vs Brizilian is a # assigned to each ECM and there is a different one for the auto's and manuals. For example, your ECM part # might be XXXXXXAF. With each dealer flash in order for it to take, the last two letters need to be higher. For example a new dealer upgrade flash on your xxxxxxAF part number would change to xxxxxxAE, and so on AD,AC etc. Since the Brazilian part numbers end with different last letters, a dealer cannot upgrade or flash using an American part # . It wouldn't go. Conversely, all the downloaders (except BD's) are programed to reconize a Dodge truck American
ECM part number....If the downloader doesn't reconize the part number it will display an error message. The downloader doesn't reconize the VIN # or the vehicle you are trying to load. I believe you can use the smarty to identify the part #. If Bob or Marco say it is a Brazilian part #, you can try to load a triple dog and return it back to stock.....I bet the same part # you started with be same after you return to stock?????

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Question