3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully Dog Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Question

Guys I just got a Bully Dog Power Pup last Thursday and it was a nightmare using it for the first time. The truck would not start for 12 hours but, the Bully Dog help line is first class all the way . They got my truck going again and also have the Pup working the way it should. I have it on the Performance setting and notice a little more power but not much and it does smoke now which I like.
My question for yall is does the Pup while downloaded delete the updates that Dodge has done to my truck (TSB)?? Or do the updates stay? I am thinking strongly about sending the Pup back and getting an in store credit for a Edge EZ. Some of yall that have used Bully Dog's downloader’s what kind of problems have you had with them if any at all?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 AM

im not sure about it deleting previous dealer updates, but iv had mine on now for 32k miles and no problems...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 06inferno
im not sure about it deleting previous dealer updates, but iv had mine on now for 32k miles and no problems...

Is yours the Pup or Triple Dog? Do you have trouble changing the performance options from TOW, Performance or Extreme?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 AM

I ran one for several months and had no problems at all. I ran mostly on the performance setting and it was a major difference. If it is not making alot more power over stock something is wrong. Mine would also smoke good on that setting. If you switch to the Edge EZ you will no get as much power. I switched back to the Edge Juice with Attitude a couple weeks ago since it is easier to change settings when towing and get good power but not as much as the Bullydog on the Extreme setting. As for losing the factory updates you do, when you go back to stock you will have Bullydogs factory programming. I had mine updated the day I put the Bullydog in and when I took it out the update was gone. Lucky for me I have a mod friendly dealer and they said they would reupdate it for me.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:47 PM

If I had known that it would erase the updates I would not have gotten it. I guess I should have if I had thought about it. Well if my vender will take it back I think that is the option I am going to take. I will feel better about a box rather than a programmer.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
KKB

Had one on my 05 and sold it and got a Smarty. The Smarty won't work because the bullydog left the brazilian software in the ecm. Hopefully we can get it working. Could you imagine setting back to stock and going to a dealer for a problem and they say you have some brazilian software? You would think bullydog could do their homework better that this. Thanks for the brazilian code bullydog. If I had to do it over I would only buy something from a vendor who is frequently on this sight. ( Bob and Marco, quad )
Old 12-24-2006, 05:44 PM

I just un-installed the Bully Dog from my truck, is there any way to clear the computer so the Dealer will never know it was there? I am going to the dealer on Tuesday to get my drivers window replaced and have them reinstall an update they just did on Thursday. I am going to send the Bully Dog back and buy an Edge EZ instead.

Thanks,
Old 12-24-2006, 05:47 PM

If they flash your ecm the bullydog "traces" will be gone.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 PM
KKB

The bullydog traces won't be totally gone. At least they weren't on mine. I had the powerpup and not the triple dog. I had the dealer do two reflashes after I took it back to stock. I never reinstalled after the flashes and got my Smarty and it showed error unknown software. Talked to Bob Wagner and he said it has the brazilian software now. He said the reflashes will only update to the newest update of the brazilian software if that is what your bullydog left in it. Also the key on cycles were way off for how many miles are on the truck because of the bully dog. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Man I wish I had never put this thing in my truck, I knew I should have just got the EZ!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by KKB
The bullydog traces won't be totally gone. At least they weren't on mine. I had the powerpup and not the triple dog. I had the dealer do two reflashes after I took it back to stock. I never reinstalled after the flashes and got my Smarty and it showed error unknown software. Talked to Bob Wagner and he said it has the brazilian software now. He said the reflashes will only update to the newest update of the brazilian software if that is what your bullydog left in it. Also the key on cycles were way off for how many miles are on the truck because of the bully dog. Good luck.
Just so you know...when the dealer reflashes it resets the key count.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 PM

i would get rid of the power pup and get the triple dog with outlook monitor, i had the edge hot juice, it was ok, after about the third one it finially had one that lasted, switched to the triple dog with crazy larry, will smoke the edge hands down and can change the settings right from the monitor, alot of problems around here with the edges for some reason.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:01 AM

Get a Quad and feel good about there Customer Service. qzilla is on here ever week and will help you with any question/problem that you may encounter!!!! Oh and there stuff is Plug and Play---- No downloader and no Traces!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:39 AM
KKB

I don't think the dealer reflash resets the key on cycles because I got the Smarty about a week after my last reflash and the Smarty showed way too many key cycles for the dealer flash to have reset it and not enough for it to not have been reset at some time. Withthe amount of cycles and miles my guess is that the powerpup reset the key cycles the first time it was downloaded to my truck, but once it had its programming in there I think it kept track of the key cycles. That is just my guess, I have no proof. I do know the dealer reflash didn't reset to zero, unless they said they did a reflash and actually didn't. I can't believe that though, since the truck did operate differently. I thought I was smart and by having the dealer reflash the ecm, it would show no sign of the bullydog, but that is obviously not the case. Even ask Bob Wagner. Now if it didn't leave the brazilian software, and you flash the ecm, I think everything will be ok, other than the key cycles.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by KKB
I don't think the dealer reflash resets the key on cycles because I got the Smarty about a week after my last reflash and the Smarty showed way too many key cycles for the dealer flash to have reset it and not enough for it to not have been reset at some time. Withthe amount of cycles and miles my guess is that the powerpup reset the key cycles the first time it was downloaded to my truck, but once it had its programming in there I think it kept track of the key cycles. That is just my guess, I have no proof. I do know the dealer reflash didn't reset to zero, unless they said they did a reflash and actually didn't. I can't believe that though, since the truck did operate differently. I thought I was smart and by having the dealer reflash the ecm, it would show no sign of the bullydog, but that is obviously not the case. Even ask Bob Wagner. Now if it didn't leave the brazilian software, and you flash the ecm, I think everything will be ok, other than the key cycles.
I checked the key count on my truck before it went to the dealer for reflash...557, after I got it back from dealer the keycount was ...2. Not trying to argue with you, Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Question