3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully Dog demo on 06

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog demo on 06

Just went and tried to get the "try before you buy" demo from the local bully dog shop, and ran into a bit of trouble. The first download attempt got to 100% but never actually finished. So we went back to the stock settings and that seemed to download just fine.

However, now, the ABS and brake lights on the dash are staying lit, even after having driven it for a about an hour or so.

Took it back to the shop where they put a meter on it to try and clear the codes, but he said it wasn't actually showing any, so there was nothing to clear.

Anyone ever seen this or had this happen? What was the fix?

The truck *seems* like it has more top-end power, but the ***-dyno may not be all that accurate since I was never that hard on it before. I'm wondering if the demo actually took and we didn't really go back to stock?

Any ideas? Since it is Saturday, we're gonna wait until Monday to try and call BD for help, but thought I would post this here and see what you guys thought.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM

I don.t know how much I really like the bullydog stuff. Before I put the tripple dog down load on my 06. I had the 2 reflashes put on my truck. The reflashes worked very well, increasing mpg, helped with driveability of the truck with better shifting out of the 48re. After I downloaded the trippledog, I decided to return the truck back to stock.I thought I was putting it back to the stock factory settings that were in the ecu before the down load. Well guess what. It went back to stock allwright, bullydogs stock setting, not the factory stock setting with the 2 reflashes. How I know this, is my mpg went down and the tranny went back to shifting it's old ways again. I have a buddy that is a service rep for my local dodge dealer. We checked to see if the flashes were on my ecm and they were not. We reinstalled the flashes and all is well again. What I learned is when you put the bullydog download in your truck. It will not return the ecm the same way as it was before the download. Bullydog must have there own "stock" setting they use when returning back to stock.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:02 PM

sounds like they did not have the current version. I think I remember seeing a post where you needed to upgade the BDDL for recent flashes on new trucks. The abs light was mentioned. The try before buy download may be different than the retail version though.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:03 PM

yeah goose, thats kinda what I figured. just wish I had a friend who worked at a dealership.

anyway, looks like the truck WAS in the performance demo mode though...we just took it for another trip to the hardware store and noticed that there was a drop-off in power. so evidently the demo has expired...but the ABS and Brake lights are still lit on the dash. At this point, I just hope they can get it back to factory settings.

Does anyone know if BD has an update out that might correct this?

<edit>
Thanks mule...the shop is gonna call BD tomorrow and try to figure it out, but naturally I have a busy day at work which will make things difficult.
</edit>
Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Mine did the same thing, your gonna have to call BD to walk you through the program to eliminate the light. Mine also went into VIN mismatch and it wouldn't start when I reloaded, so again I called and they walked me through it.

It is annoying, but I do like the Triple Dog and the features. Go ahead and buy it, cuz now that you downloaded it something goofy is bound to happen and if you don't have the programmer you won't be able to have BD help you through it over the phone.

...........Jim
Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 PM

Worst part of all this is now that the programing is changed your waranty is probably Voided....
Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
Worst part of all this is now that the programing is changed your waranty is probably Voided....
I would'nt go that far, but if you can return it to stock with the downloader BD can also reset the light.

Thing to remember is, never touch anything electronic in the truck while downloading , This will take care of alot of problems.

................Jim
Old 07-29-2006, 10:14 PM

As long as BD gets the EXACT SAME PROGRAM back into the truck as he had in it it will be ok.. he just has to know if he has any flashes or not and put the same thing back in..

Programmers do not read the program in the truck.. BD simply loads a stock program in their downloader and hopes it is the same one you had in your truck.. A while back BD stock program was an Argentina program..
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
As long as BD gets the EXACT SAME PROGRAM back into the truck as he had in it it will be ok.. he just has to know if he has any flashes or not and put the same thing back in..

Programmers do not read the program in the truck.. BD simply loads a stock program in their downloader and hopes it is the same one you had in your truck.. A while back BD stock program was an Argentina program..

Gerry, I'm not doubting you are correct, but can you find a link where I can research this.

In any event the downloader will at least put your VIN back in when he talks to BD, and the truck will run fine.

That is interesting about how the TSB's are not captured in the downloader, I have a lot still to learn Master Yoda
Old 07-30-2006, 12:05 AM

here is one of the posts...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=Argentina

There was a few others in here about the Argentina programing.. one of the owners worked at a Dodge dealer and could not put the stock program back in because the Argentina program had a higher number...

If you search the downloaders here you will find that the Downloaders can not read the program that is on the ECM.. they reprogram it from stored programs.. to go back to stock the downloaders put what ever stock program the manufacturer put in in the programer..

There are also other threads about how the dealer can detect a reprogram.. Key starts ect...

Don't know about the rest of you but as long as I want to hold on to my warranty there won't be a downloader put on My truck..
Old 07-30-2006, 12:14 AM

Here is the other link...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ghlight=Brazil
Old 07-30-2006, 09:16 AM

Talking

after reading all these posts on bullydog and other downloader problems im sure glad i have a smarty,ive loaded and went to stock and loaned it to a freind and reloaded many times trying diferent combos with the comp and ive never had a lite stay on or have a incomplete download,its never left me stranded either,of course im not gaining 170hp like you guys though,but the smarty only takes like 1 min to download and ive had the door opened and the cd player going,no problems,those bullydogs sound to finicky for me,i wouldnt have the paitence for those problems.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM

same problem

I did the exact same thing on my 06, ''try before you buy it'' now my lights are stuck on and i cant get them off. I also went back to the shop and they said it wasnt throwing any codes so now when i take my truck to get it serviced i got to get them to fix it..

Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Let me just say, Light's on = codes are set. ALWAYS. No codes, no light's.
Period.

The codes are there! Why do them guys tell you there are none?
Think!

Marco
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM

Don't the trippledog down loader erase codes. Makes some sence to just use it to erase your codes. But who knows. Maybe that ain't ignorant enough.

Quick Reply: Bully Dog demo on 06