3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bully Dog

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog

Will a bully dog make a difference in my fuel milage and performance and what kind of problems will it create for my Truck.
04 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 K&N air intake
Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Yes and yes as for problems it will only make you want more power wich leads to supporting mods and alot of money. If you stay on the tow economy mode and can keep from turning it up unlike the rest of us you should be fine.

Note if you only want better milage and small hp increase but noticable go with a Quad box there is not temptaion to turn it up!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 PM

I never saw much of a fuel mileage increase with the Bully Dog on my truck. And with any power adder you run into issues with the truck holding the power. These trucks will support the stock power OK, but adding more power past that is kinda of crap shoot....
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM

I don't believe ANY of the people's claims og MPG increases when adding a programmer, my best ever mileage was when the truck was bone stock.

If you have an auto you'll likely fry it running "extreme" on the Bully Dog, if you run "Crazy Larry" and get carried away you'll fry your clutch if it's a stick. I have CL but am going easy and my clutch is holding fine.
Also running "extreme" I was able to draw my fuel pressure down to zero psi which necessitated a lift pump upgrade, I went with an AirDog 100.

I have no regrets with the BDTD though, but I''ll guarantee you someone will be along in this thread shortly telling you it's crap and the Smarty is the only way to go. I got my BD here in the classifieds pretty cheap and am more than happy with is as I'm sure you will be too.
First thing I'd do ids get some gauges though, open up the exhaust and intake to keep the EGT's down.

What kinda truck you have Buz? Maybe fill out your signature so we know...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM

bullydog is okay but like said above you will not leave it on tow and then your going to be buying other mods a good pump like a fass or airdog is a good investment anyway my only issue with my pmt is that i can not get any help or support from bullydog and sitting on the phone for tec support is a day long event.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM

No, I never had any issues with the Bully Dog. I think the Smarty is more responsive off the line, but with the Bully I liked having the monitor and adjustability on the fly. Decided to switch it up, and have been happy. If you choose the Bully Dog realize that since it resets your ignition cycles it will be easy for a dealership to discover if you ever had the Bully Dog hooked up.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM

and the dealership will deny your warranty on your tranny work.....the key counter is what caught me! The Bully is pretty good....but get the supporting mods cause you will not stay on the performance level long!
I really like the other programs the Bully has as far as the vehical options....chimes....fog lights.....etc. Its nice to have that extra feature. Matter of fact I use the Smarty for the tune and the Bully for the extra options.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:51 PM

I have not had any issues with the BullyDog on my truck, but the fuel pump had an issue. Crapped out on me at 66k and I replaced it with a FASS 150GPH system. If you run the program, just be easy and save your money for a fuel system.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM

downloader will add mileage on easy drivers and pressure boxes add mileage on easy and hard drivers. You will alway gain mileage if your driving habits remain the same.