3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Built tranny's and Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built tranny's and Smarty

Those of you running the Smarty with a built tranny: which program has been working best for you? I was using mild but went to the moderate program and both shift totally different. The shifts are very firm and quick using the mild program and more “Stockish” running the moderate program. It’s almost as if I’m having the 1-2-2-1 shift problem with the moderate program, with light throttle. I like the power of the moderate, but like the shifts of the mild. Make sense?

Sid
Old 06-25-2007, 11:45 PM

I have a very built trans and a smarty. I experience the shift issues also. on hot days it seems worse. someone with tranny knowledge can explain more on that. I ran the original programming for a while. the shifts are firm on that or the beta program. Ive ran it for only a few days. it seems to help when its cool outside it seemed to do it alot less. hope any of this helps you. as far as wild programming off the website, Ive not ran any of that. I try and avoid 30mph with mine. I run either 25 or 40. but thats hard to do when the speed limit is 30mph
Old 06-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess with the moderate and wild torque management levels there is less defueling between the shifts, so the clutches are slipping more.

MikeyB
Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

That could be part of it, but the main reason is that the overly sensitive throttle positioning doesn't allow the trans to build up enough pressure to hold the 1-2 shift. All of the power is in the first 1/2 - 2/3 of throttle range and the tranny builds it's pressure based on the throttle positioning. The less torque management you run the worse it gets (ie. Wild is the worst).

All that is fixed with Beta 4.4 though!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 AM

My DTT Stuff goes in on Saturday....i'm really thinking the DTT Shift Enhancer is going to be the key based upon what i've read about it.....will report soon....that and i agree the beta 4.4 shifts wonderfully...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Well, Beta 4.4 just might be my answer.

Thanks,

Sid
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM

I just went back to the mild program, sw#7, and my tranny/shifts love it. I really miss the low end power I had with the moderate program, big difference. I guess I'll be another Smarty owner waiting for the Beta.

Sid
Old 06-26-2007, 07:48 PM

Beta is no better. I've had my VB replaced with one that was drilled out to add more pressure, and Dave is fiddling with the DTT shift enhancer, but said he's not sure about it being safe for the tranny...he's supposed to be getting back to me next week. He's having me turn up the line pressure again and seeing how it shifts.
Any of the low end torque softwares will make the tranny shift funny... with 1-2-1 shifting and flaring/Cutloose happening on the 2-3 shift... I guess the tranny builders will get it right sooner or later...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
tcr

Nope, the Beta 4.4 isn't any better. My 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are bad/inconsistant. Pressure can't build fast enough, then sometimes it will just rev then slam into gear and take off. I don't feel the Smarty has any control over shifting quality, if the engine revs fast enough, the tranny can't keep up.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear 4.4 isn't working for you guys.

It did the trick for me. I hope you guys get it figured out.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
tcr

Even though mine isn't fully built, it shifts great unless I'm rolling 20-30mph and hit it WOT. If the revs are down and I punch it, different things happen on different days???
Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 PM

I just have to say something on this, Dodge transmissions are not that great. Im sorry, but no matter what I have tried and what I have done this transmission is always searching. Drive a Dur*max with a 6 speed for a day and get a feel of what a trans is suppose to feel like. Again im sorry. In 2006 you would think Dodge would have atleast had a 5sp auto. Dodge seems to be about two steps behide the others. Dont get mad, im just stating facts..
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Well, I just might have to learn to live with the mild program. My tranny shifts great under light or hard throttle and no 1-2-2-1-2 shifting issues.

Sid
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Guys, i've really heard good things about this.....no first hand experience as of yet, but will get to try it with beta 4.4 on level 5 / 7 / 9 this comming weekend.....http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/whats_new.htm
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jays98dodge
I just have to say something on this, Dodge transmissions are not that great. Im sorry, but no matter what I have tried and what I have done this transmission is always searching. Drive a Dur*max with a 6 speed for a day and get a feel of what a trans is suppose to feel like. Again im sorry. In 2006 you would think Dodge would have atleast had a 5sp auto. Dodge seems to be about two steps behide the others. Dont get mad, im just stating facts..
Drive a new truck with the 68rfe....MUCH better than the 48re.

[QUOTE=Megaramasaur Beta is no better. I've had my VB replaced with one that was drilled out to add more pressure, and Dave is fiddling with the DTT shift enhancer, but said he's not sure about it being safe for the tranny...he's supposed to be getting back to me next week. He's having me turn up the line pressure again and seeing how it shifts.
Any of the low end torque softwares will make the tranny shift funny... with 1-2-1 shifting and flaring/Cutloose happening on the 2-3 shift... I guess the tranny builders will get it right sooner or later...[/QUOTE]

The DTT shift enhanser controls line pressure rise, not the trans. See basicly what it does it takes over control of the TV cable that was replaced by the accuator. And yes the enhanser solves that 1-2-1 and 2-3-2 shift issues but for most trannies, it has to be programmed.

Richard

Quick Reply: Built tranny's and Smarty