3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Built tranny guys help??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built tranny guys help??

on my HTS build tranny, since i've had it done, for some reason, when iam in the throttle more then 1/4 pedal, and especially goin up an incline, it will shift into 4th fast, and when the TC locks up, the whole truck jerks bad, turbo barks, and all. i mean it feels awful. i no something aint right. i called Dusty at HTS and told him, he send me some VB parts, but that didnt do a thing. i mean iam even afraid to give it alot of pedal gettin on the interstate, cause thats when it does it bad. where there's the least little incline.... anyone got any ideas??? thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Call dave Goerend. He explained it in fine detail to me. Sent me a new accumulator piston and springs. Fixed mine.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

My truck broke the input shaft doing this.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM

well i have the same trans you do. mine has never done it. you need to keep talking with dusty about it. if you let other ppl tell you how to fix it and mess it up I dont think they are gonna be happy about that. mine had a 50k mile warranty so I dont know why yours wouldnt either.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM

The explaination I was given is that the piston in the accumulator is weak. Dave hooked me up with a sweet Billet Piston, new springs and a block off plug for one of the channels. Mine would do what you described or it would do a serious BUMP BUMP 4-od shift which would cause horrible barking....
Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM

CTDowerTN TC locks up, the whole truck jerks bad I can see that just a good TQ Does it shift fast in to 4th? Or does it get to about 2k before it shifts each time? I know mine shifts real hard when you are lite on the peddle.TQ locks up hard to. But if i drive it a little harder it ok but the TQ still hits hard. I would like to know more.just trying to help!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 PM

how many miles do you have on the Tranny?
well i will tell you this my tranny did the same thing going into OD but i learned to drive around it. i have since installed a lockup controller so now i can bark the turbo at about 30 mph because thats when the TC locks up. the reason it jerks and barks the turbo is because the TC is locked up. it jerks because it transfers a large amount of tq that was being lost in the fluid coupling (TC not in lock up). the way to fix this is to change out the accumulator piston and spring to reduce the pressure going to the TC. this means that the TC will have more of a chance of slipping due to less pressure on the clutches.
dusty is a great person to talk to and to deal with i would keep sending you questions his way and work things out with him. i would think adding someone else's part into dusty's built tranny might cause warranty issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:58 PM

i think a different spring, and accuator is what they sent me, and it still does it. but i could be wrong. i'll ask my tranny guy and see. i know its more then just a hard lock up of the TC. cause it jerks bad, and makes u kring...
Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 PM

the thing that gets me is it does it worse when on a hill or incline, now if iam on flat ground, and get into the throttle about 3/4. it will shift into 4th fast, and jerk kinda bad on TC lock-up.....
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM

how many miles do you have on the tranny?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM

if your tranny and converter are newer give it some time when i first finished my trans it would lock up HARD and after awhile it loosened up and all is good. it is doing it worse going up a hill because you are stalling the converter more and you are getting more of a rpm drop when it locks due to this causing it to jerk harder.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 AM

theres probally 11K on the tranny or so....
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Does the tranny have to be pulled to put in a Billit accuator, pistons & springs? or is it in the VB area?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM

CTDowerTN Dude you just need to call Dusty and get the thing fixed plain and simple! They are good people just give them a chance!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CTDowerTN
Does the tranny have to be pulled to put in a Billit accuator, pistons & springs? or is it in the VB area?
It is in the valvebody. I agree, talk to your vendor, but it doesnt hurt to get a second opinion.....RIGHT?

Quick Reply: Built tranny guys help??