3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Built tranny 2nd-3rd 800rpm flare w/ smarty

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built tranny 2nd-3rd 800rpm flare w/ smarty

I've loaded the wild, moderate, mild software, and my Goerend tranny under light to moderate throttle will flare in rpms by as much as 800rpm. This has never happened before? What could be causing it.... I hope it's not my 7k tranny with 3500miles and no abuse (yet)... all I've had is the BDTD and now the smarty....
Please help......
Old 05-12-2007, 09:15 PM

I swear you have the worst luck. Give Dave a call if no one else here can help.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
helped a buddy here in town install that tranny in his and we found his dipstick was slightly off. It was about 1/2 quart low on fluid. topped it off and good to go. but I would call Dave first.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Good point on the fluid level. Best to have a little more than otherwise. Actually, much better. Also, if the trans is brand new, there could still be some air that has to work out. This will cause flared shifts.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM

How many quarts will the tranny hold if it's completely empty? My stock dipstick w/ DD tranny pan is reading slightly (1/8inch) above max.

I think I have right at 22 quarts?

I loaded the stock tq managment back in, and just loaded #5.... it shifts like it used to??? I'm going to try # 9 shortly.... The only thing I can think of is that the tranny isn't building line pressure enough to hold the 2nd band?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 AM
KKB

I would call Dave and see what he has to say, I have not had any problems with that happening on my goerend tranny and Smarty. When I was at Dave's shop a few weeks back he told me that these trannies like to be overfull.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Alright it's just keep getting better..... my level was right at the max line hot in idle.... I added a quart of oil, just to see if it would help the shiting, I drove it and parked it for a while, and low and behold... now I have a leak...

I must have broke a mirror, while kicking a black cat under a ladder??? darn the luck
Will having a very slightly overfull tranny make it leak at the front seal?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM

my trk does kind of a gear hunt thing around 30mph. I talked to mr hawk and he said it is a line pressure issue and he would send me another valve body to fix it. I just avoid running that speed basically I go 25 or 40 and it seems to be fine. I run a smarty also & it did the same thing with the triple dog
Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM

I just got one of Dave's trannies and its doing the same thing, so you aren't alone. He recommended that I adjust the tv cable, which I did (was off by a very small amount), but it didn't help. Let me know if you find a solution.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Yah, I talked with Dave and he's looking into an electronic gizmo that John (Floor It) mentioned to me.... if that doesn't pan out, he's going to send me another VB that is drilled out a bit more to add more pressure...

So it's definately a pressure thing.. with the 06's I think it's electronic
We'll see... its been two days since I've talked with him.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 PM

All, DTT has a new 48re electronic module that is now available...you have to call them to discuss, it's not on their website yet.....

It was explained to me to do the following:

- Eliminate 1-2-1-2 Shuffle at light throttle
- Prevent flaring
- 3 Settings: I think they said each raises shift points
- Normal (+150rpm), Tow (+250rpm), Race (+350rpm)

I'm going off memory, but believe the above is pretty accurate...a few people on this site have one and have had positive (with limited usage time) experiences.

I have one on order with my DTT Parts....will post when i have experience.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM

How much is it? Dave mentioned some kind of 3 position switch? This may be it?....
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 PM

$250.....and they're probably the same box??? Either way, there hasn't really been a solution before, so it looks promising...
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM

tranny

i have been messing with my 2006 tranny for a while now and all of you issues are coming from the combination of smarty torque management reduction and the electronic tva motor on the 48re. first thing to try is to get a hold of a dealerships starscan tool and do a tva motor calibration. every time i remove my tranny and tva for work, i always reset the perameters just in case. If not, the DTT box will fix these issues when it is available. i have something very similar to this unit and it fixed my problems. Others have the beta versions of the dtt box and it has fixed thier problems. the way it works, is by increasing the throttle position signal to the tva motor, which handles shifting. it makes the tranny think you are pushing harder on the gas than you actually are. it will also raise the shift point rpms. the three different positions are different percentages of signal increase. these are progrmable to what fits you truck best by a dealer. i definately suggest you invest in one of these when available.
Bobby
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 PM

I talked to DTT about a week ago and they had 50 left in stock out of 100 of the first batch!

Quick Reply: Built tranny 2nd-3rd 800rpm flare w/ smarty