3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Build guidance for solid 500hp/1000lb tq

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Build guidance for solid 500hp/1000lb tq

2006 CTD quad cab 4x4 SB, 220K miles, original owner, daily driver.

I have installed a Goerend triple disk billet torque converter, MBRP turbo back exhaust, AEM brute force intake, flexalite electric fan and a SMARTY tuner. I am also running a 2'' leveling kit up front for 35" tires on a set of procomp 7089 18" wheels.

My goal is to have a reliable daily driver with around 500hp/1000tq. I am not too keen on injectables and have no problem building up a solid build over time.

My question is what should be the next steps that will yield the eventual results I am looking for?

-new single turbo Aurora 4000?
-injectors
-lift pump
-more tranny work?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would complete the trans first.
1)Definitely billet input shaft and new clutches, upgraded electronics and a valve body, I just put the Mega2 kit from Suncoast so far it's a very nice kit. Came with billet servos strut anchor and a few other parts can't remember off hand. Word on the street a billet intermediat isn't necessary and the output shaft can be done later with out dropping the trans.
2) fass or airdog fuel pump
3) A nice single turbo or a set of towing twins with some 100 hp sticks,
Not sure if stacking a more aggressive fuel box with the smarty is neccasary
Remember more fuel= more power = higher EGT's but a nice set of towing twins should keep them in check pretty well.

Inter cooler, intake horn are all a waste of $$$ that will be better spent else where... Just my .02 cents
Good luck
Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 AM

That is great! Thank you. I was looking at the Mega2 kit so I take it this just builds up the internals with out having to send the whole transmission out to get rebuilt?

Regarding the FASS/Airdog- is that the same as fuel separator? I still would not need a fuel injection pump (CP3?)

Thanks again
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
At 220k miles if I were you I would have the injectors tested, if and while they are out you can have them enlarged to 50-90 range but NOT necessary for 500hp stockers can pull mid 500-600s with proper tuning.
Lift pump is a double edge sword, the stocker will easily get you 500 and run a long time. Sure aftermarket will hold more pressure but the ones that last are pricey, I'm not a fan of your big name electric pumps. (Too many failures, JMO)
Next issue is if you go larger injectors you will need to address your CP3, of course what size you go will determine this.
If again you go much larger than 50's you will need to consider a turbo swap, size again will depend on HP goal, injectors, towing considerations, etc.
YES to spend as much on your trans as possible!!!

The big decision is how far do you want to go? 500 can be done with everything you currently have and it can be done safely, even more so with added trans work.

Issue is you start snowballing once you change one major component. I would add a Vulcan or GDP fuel filter kit ASAP for sure, then its up to you.

Good luck, Rye.

Oh, a note to anyone the stocker S400 compound kits have come down in price over the last few years, add the performance and all around drivability along with towing capacity and it almost doesn't make sense to buy a high quality single turbo unless you are in a limited bracket for racing or pulling.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Rye,
Thanks for the additional info here, "Oh, a note to anyone the stocker S400 compound kits have come down in price over the last few years, add the performance and all around drivability along with towing capacity and it almost doesn't make sense to buy a high quality single turbo unless you are in a limited bracket for racing or pulling."...
This is good info to have in my back pocket! Any suggestions on who to look at for these compund kits??
Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I really don't want to get into whom you should go through, don't know who's a site sponsor and such. Just know kits are out with a run of the mill S400 box BW T6 charger, piping, oil lines, brackets etc for in the $2K range. Now you can also get that S400 custom built and drive the price up quick, or you can start getting some of the bigger names and the price goes up simply for the name.
It can be done for close to what a high end custom single costs, and it will simply outperform that single for DD, towing, and normal non sanctioned driving.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks again Rye...good tip there; I was looking at a single 63 that would DEF be in upward of that $2K baseline.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Such great info fellas, thank you. This is my daily driver that I use for work and take my daughters to school in so this rig will never be on the drag strip or sled pulling. If I dynoed 500/1000 @ the wheels I would be a very happy man. It just need to be as strong as I can make it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 PM

575 HP 1036 TQ This is my setup (SEE SIGNATURE) and it is a dependable daily driver. When I put it on the dyno I had a Smarty S06 POD. I now have EFI Live, but I haven't made it back to the dyno.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Rye, you can mention folks and post links if they're asked for, you just can't go around spamming folks. Please feel free to post stuff if it's relevant!

To GV: Buy it right the first time... If you're going to upgrade something, spend the money to get the best parts.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

To Make 500RWHP you do not need many modifications. A transmission to harness the power is going to be a must from there you are looking at the following.

Fass150 Lift pump
Spade King Tuner (EFI LIVE)
Cold air intake
Exhaust
Recommend gauges for reading engines vitals.

With the parts listed above will get you to the horsepower goal you are talking about. You can add a Intake horn to help prove breathing efficiency.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM

For a DD all around driver

My "opinionated" opinion:
Your at a interesting turning point. I was there at one time. Talked to a LOT of people and vendors. Had a few almost convince me to go with a single turbo. However those conversations would ALWAYS end up one of two ways: 1: "so when you decide to upgrade to compounds down the road" or 2: the conversation would would pretty much end when I would really start pressing about EGT's. Well guess what? Those conversations made my choice real easy .
For the $$ and end result, compounds, hands down period. You will not beat the driveability and EGT control. Plus as stated by Rye, pricing has gotten very attractive. Compounds by themselves with your current tuning will put you very comfortably past the goal your wanting. The $$ your looking at spending on injectors and a single turbo, not to mention lift pump, intercooler, intake elbow, possible CP 3 (non of this will be needed with compounds) will more than pay for a well engineered / designed set of compounds. Take that difference, sell your existing CIA, spend it on guages (not a fan of the CTS) and reinforcing your transmission and be done.
Stock nozzles will spool a stocker / S 475 or even a set sized like mine just fine. Mine did perfectly, I simply wanted more. Additionally, I gambled on the health of my stock CP 3 pump being able to support 90hp nozzles (it does just fine, will maintain 23,500 psi) due to it had less than 90,000 mi on it. A 220,000 mi pump, I may not be so eager.\
As far as who (manufacturers), I went with DPS. There's also: (stocker kits) ATS, Anarchy, Stainless, Crazy Carls, MPI (I think builds a stocker kit). Source builds a compound kit as well but will not use the stock turbo. This is just off the top of my head. Probably forgot a couple. Plus there is a wide selection of vendors selling the above named kits.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...o/CAM00191.jpg
Old 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM

This is why I love this forum. Thanks guys, keep your recipes coming. I will definitely be spending the first round of bucks on the transmission.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Twins would be a great add on if you looking to make 500-550 stock fuel, towing horsepower with the lowest EGT's. If we are just looking to make a daily driving 500HP No need to do twins as that point. The simple add on's for supporting modifications are more than enough, with the proper tuning.