3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

broken sbc dd spring hub throw out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken sbc dd spring hub throw out?

this clutch is brand new. I took it easy the first 500 miles, like I was supposed to, now after nearly 1000 miles, it appears the throw out bearing had a mass failure. I have this crazy grinding, knocking, rattling clutch noise, and the truck is impossible to get into gear while the motor is running. I could not declutch the truck the last 10 miles home. I had to snub it off when I got it close enough to the house. Any ideas? Has anyone ever had this problem? I had a heavy truck shop put it all together, all ASE certified mechanics
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Call Peter
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Ya call Peter and post back... Looking at getting that clutch
Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 AM

I'm watching. Let us know what you find out
Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 AM

Peter will take care of you!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM

south bend

yeah, that was the first thing I thought, however it was too late last night when I finally got it home to call, and I'm pretty sure no was around saturday, so first thing monday morning, I will be calling. Had the truck on "KILL" and it was after I was done hammering on it when I had all the problems. I don't know if it was a fluke or what, but I know those are built to take some punishment. Soon as they get er apart on Monday, I will let everyone now what happened
Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Hmm...
Sounds like its going to have to come out again..

Do you have the hydraulic upgrade?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 AM

Just out of curiosity, does the clutch pedal have any feel? Way light, heavy or normal? My hydraulics took a crap and it acted like the syptoms you described.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM

destroyed south bend dd

mechanic got the truck apart today, and what he found almost took my breath away. the throw out is good which is pretty much the only part that is. The crank is shot and so is the clutch. Called peter at south bend, and he said no problem, ship me the old clutch back, and he will replace it completely free of charge. they do an amazing job over there, thanks again peter!!

Now for the rest of the bad news, it appears the bolts backed out or gave up, not sheared or anything, so I am thinking they were not properly tourqed an loctited. the mechanics say that they were, and of course they would. bolts wobbled out the holes in the crank along ways, and this is why the crank is shot . I believe it could be fixed, it would just take a good machinist and a little time.

So, I ordered the new crank from a very reputable cummins dealer back home- to the tune of $995.00 and am now waiting for parts. I have never seen this happen before, my truck is not bombed that much, and I know for a fact there is alot of people making way more power than I am, with this same tranny and clutch, and not having these problems. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever seeing anyone wreck a crank on the site...
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

isnt the shop going to eat some of this? seems like since they installed it and portion of the install is what caused the issue, seems like it would be partially their problem?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM

If at all possible pick up every piece of your truck from that shop get away as fast as you can.

My gut tells me they didnt torque those flywheel bolts!!! Thousands of SBC's sold and yours is the only one I have ever heard of coming loose.

This is exactly why I do all my own work.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And that is exactly why I pulled my trans a second time after the initial clutch install. I forgot the locktite. Boy, if I ever thought it wasnt worth pulling just to put some locktite on, I know now it was worth it. I am sorry for your touble but maybe some will learn from it.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM

wap,
I know I shouldnt say this but we never use loctite when installing our dual discs here around home.
I have never had a problem with bolts backing out but we use a good torque wrench and lock the engine from turning over and go over check every bolt about 3 or 4 times to ensure proper torque has been satisfied.

Loctite schmocktite...those boys didnt torque it right.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasnt insinuating that had they applied loctite that there would not have been a failure. I agree totally that it was not torqued properly.

I realize it was not necessary but it does make me sleep better at night, its just cheap insureance to me. I havent mechaniced long enough to be totally sure of myself just yet so I take all the precautions I can.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM

No doubt there. Loctite is good insurance....we just take our trucks apart so often we dont use it

Quick Reply: broken sbc dd spring hub throw out?