3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Brand of Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand of Window Tint

I'm in the market to get my windows tinted and wanted some brand recommendations.

I got some windows tinted about 6 years ago and the shop told me NEVER to get 3M tint. They said 3M has a good name but their window tint was junk. I can't remember the brand they actually installed, but it's 6 years old and 120K and still looks great. Plus it came with a lifetime warranty.

Oh yeah, they also gave me choices of tint color. Can't remember the exact options but it was something like gray, blue, green, bronze etc. Kind of like sunglass lens colors. I went with the gray.

TIA
Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 AM

Llumar has always been a great tint, comes in several different shades and types and also has a very good warranty IF installed by a good tint shop
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Anybody else?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM

I've got 3M and don't have any issues with it and
I have only ever heard good things about 3M. Maybe
that first shop just wanted to sell you theirs.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I suggest 3M as well. Been using it for many years and never had a problem with it. Does sound like the guy who said never use it was trying to sell his. If it comes with a lifetime warranty in writing and he has been around a while I'd go for it. If not I would get the 3M.
I live in the desert and if 3M can handle our summers it will handle them about anyplace.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 PM

I've got 3M on mine. i like the tint as far as, no turning purple or bubble-ing but my window weather stripping has scuffed the tint pretty good. I don't know if any other brands of tint are better, but the scuffs kind of bug me. Anybody know any way to get the scuffs out or make them less visible? Wax maybe?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM

Johnson Executive Series on my Firbird. 5% for 5 years and not faded or purple. Llumar is good too.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM

3M here, no probs, kinda bubbles at first, 110 degree Texas heat, but after a while it smoothes out and looks great!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Llumar tint is the best. They have 2 grades. Get the stuff that has a lifetime warranty. Don't skimp out, it will cost you. Way better than 3M. I have had my vehicles tinted since 1985. Lost count of vehicles I have had done. Word of advice. Talk with people that are picky about their tint jobs. NO BUBBLES at all. I have a guy here I use ONLY. I do it for a reason. GREAT WORK. Look at jobs they have done. Do your homework and it will pay off. If you have it tinted in the winter it will be hazzy for a week or two. This is normal. Hope this helps. I will never have a vehicle that is not tinted. Don't go to dark on the side and back windows. If you do you will not be able to back a trailer worth a crap. My advice is 32% on front door windows and no more than 20% on back and that still may be to dark.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Luminar

Originally Posted by Spooler
Llumar tint is the best. They have 2 grades. Get the stuff that has a lifetime warranty. Don't skimp out, it will cost you. Way better than 3M. I have had my vehicles tinted since 1985. Lost count of vehicles I have had done. Word of advice. Talk with people that are picky about their tint jobs. NO BUBBLES at all. I have a guy here I use ONLY. I do it for a reason. GREAT WORK. Look at jobs they have done. Do your homework and it will pay off. If you have it tinted in the winter it will be hazzy for a week or two. This is normal. Hope this helps. I will never have a vehicle that is not tinted. Don't go to dark on the side and back windows. If you do you will not be able to back a trailer worth a crap. My advice is 32% on front door windows and no more than 20% on back and that still may be to dark.
Ditto. My last two vehicles were done by a quality shop and I elected to go with the metallized lifetime warranty lower level one. Zero problems. One's an Accord with the back window from hell.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 PM

Llumar has worked well for me! I just had the back & 2 side windows done in my Mega. I bucked up for the premium...cost about 50 bucks more, but is warrantied for life, plus has better heat rejection properties.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 AM

Maddico is also top of the line stuff, as well as Sun guard and Solar guard. Johnson window films also gets a second from me. I myself and a number of good friends have used all of those brands professionally with tremendous success.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
How do I find my local Llumar dealer?

EDIT www.llumar.com
Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Let your fingers do the walking----Yellow Pages. It is best to get a referral and go and look at the shops work. You can tell quality work. Just look for bubbles in the tint. Ask around.